No More Drinking Outside Convenience Stores in Taichung City

:roflmao: I’ve never seen a foreigner sitting outside a 7-11 drinking beer, either. Seriously, who would want to drink a can of Taiwan Beer in 35C weather with all the locals staring at them like monkeys in a zoo?[/quote]

I do, although I don’t drink Taiwan beer. I often drink with my Taiwanese mates, and the other tables are usually full of Taiwanese guys drinking. You get to drink in the fresh(ish) air and the beer isn’t ridiculously over-priced. I’d rather drink outside a 7-11 than in some poncey bar. If Taiwan had proper pubs then I might be willing to fork out the extra dosh to drink in one, but it doesn’t.

Do as the Americans do … bag the booze …

:roflmao: I’ve never seen a foreigner sitting outside a 7-11 drinking beer, either. Seriously, who would want to drink a can of Taiwan Beer in 35C weather with all the locals staring at them like monkeys in a zoo?[/quote]

I do, although I don’t drink Taiwan beer. I often drink with my Taiwanese mates, and the other tables are usually full of Taiwanese guys drinking. You get to drink in the fresh(ish) air and the beer isn’t ridiculously over-priced. I’d rather drink outside a 7-11 than in some poncey bar. If Taiwan had proper pubs then I might be willing to fork out the extra dosh to drink in one, but it doesn’t.[/quote]
:ponder: All right then… In Chiayi, I’ve never seen a foreigner sitting outside a 7-11 drinking beer. Must be a Taipei thing. :laughing:

It’s more of a rural town thing. In places with no real bars, the 7-11s become substitute bars. Given that Taichung has no more bars, the next thing is the 7-11.

I live a stone-throw from the back gate of NTU in Taipei… some call that area the educational-cultural center of Taiwan. I see Taiwanese folks drinking outside the 7-11 and Family Mart across Xinhai Road from the language center at NTU each and EVERY day. The only time I see foreign national’s drinking there is when The Chief stops by and he and I have a few drinks. But, drinking takes place there every day. In Taipei.

Icon- Jason Hu consistently rates as the least popular and least effective Mayor in Taiwan, how did he get elected again…the power of political organisation and money :ponder:
I’ve never seen people drinking beer outside 7-11s in Taichung, it’s a weird one alright.

Which of the following is the foot path most in need of having its obstructions cleared?
Which is the footpath with the greatest fire risk? (:

Apparently the answer is the family mart?

Do you people actually live on this island?

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Icon- Jason Hu consistently rates as the least popular and least effective Mayor in Taiwan, how did he get elected again…the power of political organisation and money :ponder:
I’ve never seen people drinking beer outside 7-11s in Taichung, it’s a weird one alright.[/quote]

Well, here I define “popular” as well-known, not as “well-liked”. I do agree with you though, that it just doe snot matter how teh majority of people perceive him or what he does, he’s got it made.

Do you people actually live on this island?[/quote]
For more than a decade. I’ll say it again: I’ve never seen a foreigner sitting outside a 7-11 drinking beer. Sure, I have seen the locals do it, but never foreigners. Do you consider “this island” to be only Taipei? Chiayi isn’t Taipei. Lot less foreigners here.

This news really sucks. Thanks for sharing.

I don’t see too many foreigners drinking outside seven, but I sure do see a lot of Taiwanese people kicking back cold ones. Old guys drink in the morning hours and the 20-somethings late at night. The foreigners I know get their beer to go. I buy mine from my local ma/pa grocery to support the neighborhood economy.

Icon, I think you’re on to something in your first point. Cough, cough…ichbinjenny’s speakeasy is now taking reservations…

Captain Stag posted a Chinese link and so don’t blame me if I’m not translating the words in there.

The article did NOT state that there’s gonna be a crackdown on drinking outside Seven, Family, etc. but rather asking the police dept to removing the seating area outside those convenient stores.

The title says it all: 台中撤除超商露天座位維治安?

Who says you can’t drink outside the convenient store by standing up, sitting on the sidewalk pavement, etc…lotsa homeless folks do that, BTW :ponder:

“但超商擺桌椅佔據到公共空間也是事實” <— this is true…removing obstacles from public area is a good thing.

Note: This does not mean that I endorse Mr. Bald Eagle :laughing:

Let them remove the chairs outside. I don’t see a huge problem there. If anything it helps me to get inside the store faster.
Many convenient stores have a recent redecorated and enlarged interior space, with air con, wireless LAN seats and tables. Who wants to sit outside in the heat, next to the cars and scooters?

good. Anything that removes obstacles from Taiwan’s already over crowded side walks is ok in my book. I wish they would start removing barriers that motorcyle mechanic shops put across the side walks in front of their stores too. It is about time side walks and shop fronts became less cluttered.

It’s “convenience store”, folks. :grandpa:

It’s “convenience store”, folks. :grandpa:[/quote]

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Rats, and we were having such a great time raking Jason through coals…

[quote=“touduke”]Let them remove the chairs outside. I don’t see a huge problem there. If anything it helps me to get inside the store faster.
Many convenient stores have a recent redecorated and enlarged interior space, with air con, wireless LAN seats and tables. Who wants to sit outside in the heat, next to the cars and scooters?[/quote]

Yes, but as far as im concerned the tables and chairs outside of these stores are the least of the problems blocking Taizhong’s footpaths! Its just non-sensical that this would be the reason!

And yes there is nothing stopping people drinking inside, or on the street, which I am sure some people will do now anyway.

Starting with nightmarket stalls that start taking the street lanes at 3pm…

So if Taichung beer drinkers can’t drink outside convenience stores now or in bars, pubs, and only in a handful of restaurants … what about the ler chao restaurants. They must be making a killing. And what about the night clubs? Well, look on the bright side. Taipei is only a 1 hrs ride on the HSR.