No More Drinking Outside Convenience Stores in Taichung City

This is such a tragedy. Gosh, now people may actually have to go into a convenience store, buy beer, and take it HOME and drink it. Fascists!

At least people are ALLOWED the freedom to drink outside a convenience store in Taiwan. Fascists!

Not in Taichung City! :discodance:

Oh, they are. Just not allowed to sit down!

This is a bit off topic, but to those of you who read Chinese, does the usage 酒店 (pinyin: jiu3dian4) mean liquor store, hotel, or bar? My Chinese is not good (despite years of study), but as best as I can tell, Mayor Hu is concerned that the ability to both buy alcohol and sit down and drink it turns convenient stores into bars, a shady underworld (黑道, pinyin: hei1dao4) where people will discuss dark deeds and engage in other dangerous behaviors. :astonished:

I have an image in my head of Tigerman and the chief arguing over their favorite Grateful Dead performance…not quite the underworld envisioned by the good mayor, I think.

When I was over in April I bought a 6 pack at the 7 and had one outside at the table. No one batted an eyelid. A cop car went by - didn’t bat an eyelid.

Went onwards to Fu Bar. Options thereafter? None. Till my mate suggested the ‘secret’ bar - an awesome bar where you have to call ahead to get in.

Taichung was so fun 2003-05. All nighters etc etc. Seems like it’s become boring these days…

I saw for the first time a local sitting down and drinking outside the local 7/11 last night. I wonder if the ban is going to get enforced at all (:

I assume they could just move the table and chairs off from the front of the 7/11 onto the road? That would assumedly bypass the restriction.

Perhaps. And there are no laws against restricting a bypass…

Not sure, but, I think the term 酒店 comes from Hong Kong. Anyway, in Taiwan it refers only to hotels. At least to my knowledge it is restricted to this usage.

On the news here in Taiwan, 95% of the time, a 酒店 is what you referred to: some sort of shady bar/KTV where some ladies will accompany you as you drink and the bill comes out to the tens of thousands of NT, but that doesn’t matter to most of the clientele since they carry hundreds of thousands of NT in big wads of bills. Most of the 酒店 here (at least in Zhonghe/Yonghe) don’t actually usually the characters 酒店 but rather something like 聊天咖啡 (coffee and chat). Which leads to the inevitable joke when I pull up next to one at a red light and I ask my wife if she wants to get a latte with me.

Well, they’re short-term rent hotels. You know, where you can take a short rest.

Not sure, but, I think the term 酒店 comes from Hong Kong. Anyway, in Taiwan it refers only to hotels. At least to my knowledge it is restricted to this usage.[/quote]

Have seen it in China (hotels) more than in Taiwan …

Things change, many of the new hotels are now called ‘酒店’ Jiu Dian in Taiwan, obviously to attract Chinese tourists who are not very familiar with the term ‘飯店’ Fan Dian. 酒店 Jiu Dian used to mean girly KTV almost exclusively but now the meaning is obviously migrating more to the hotel meaning.

That is absolutely not true. 酒店(Jiu Dian) had been in use for hotel since more than five decades ago. 老爺大酒店(Hotel Royal Taipei) - Nikko Hotels International have been in business since 1984, it is affiliated with a Japanese airline group. Most other older ones seem no longer exist. 中央酒店(Central Hotel?) was one of the top hotels back in 1963. They have a huge dining hall with Las Vegas type shows. On weekends they have brunch with cartoons and variety shows, geared toward kids. It later changed hand and became 富都大酒店 (Hotel Fortuna), which finally shut down just a few years ago.

飯店(Fan Dian) had been in use as hotel for just as long. 國賓大飯店 Ambassador Hotel dates back to 1964.

酒店 Jiu Dian started to get used for those shady hostess bars around thirty five years ago. Back then, they do have rooms and girls, but no KTV, that’ll come a few years later.

酒店(Jiu Dian) can also be used for restaurant. 豪華大酒店 (Luxury Palace?) was run by the same group that managed Central Hotel’s restaurant. Same businzess model, but at an even grander scale. That was around late '60s. It was THE place for business entertainment.

That is absolutely not true. 酒店(Jiu Dian) had been in use for hotel since more than five decades ago. 老爺大酒店(Hotel Royal Taipei) - Nikko Hotels International have been in business since 1984, it is affiliated with a Japanese airline group. Most other older ones seem no longer exist. 中央酒店(Central Hotel?) was one of the top hotels back in 1963. They have a huge dining hall with Las Vegas type shows. On weekends they have brunch with cartoons and variety shows, geared toward kids.

飯店(Fan Dian) had been in use as hotel for just as long. 國賓大飯店 Ambassador Hotel dates back to 1964.

酒店 Jiu Dian started to get used for those shady hostess bars around thirty five years ago. Back then, they do have rooms and girls, but no KTV, that’ll come a few years later.[/quote]

What’s not true about this? The fact is ‘Fan Dian’ was much more popular until recently to refer to hotels, but almost all the new establishments are using ‘Jiu Dian’, so times change…I never mentioned anything about ‘Jiu Dian’ never being used in Taiwan. Hate the way people read things into posts that aren’t there.

That is absolutely not true. 酒店(Jiu Dian) had been in use for hotel since more than five decades ago. 老爺大酒店(Hotel Royal Taipei) - Nikko Hotels International have been in business since 1984, it is affiliated with a Japanese airline group. Most other older ones seem no longer exist. 中央酒店(Central Hotel?) was one of the top hotels back in 1963. They have a huge dining hall with Las Vegas type shows. On weekends they have brunch with cartoons and variety shows, geared toward kids.

酒店 Jiu Dian started to get used for those shady hostess bars around thirty five years ago. Back then, they do have rooms and girls, but no KTV, that’ll come a few years later.[/quote]

What’s not true about this? The fact is ‘Fan Dian’ was much more popular until recently to refer to hotels, but almost all the new establishments are using ‘Jiu Dian’, so times change…I never mentioned anything about ‘Jiu Dian’ never being used in Taiwan. Hate the way people read things into posts that aren’t there.[/quote]
酒店(Jiu Dian) was just as common as 飯店(Fan Dian) for naming hotels way back then. Decades before the commies tourists were allowed to tour this island. Some of the new hotels happen to use 酒店(Jiu Dian), but most of them happen to be the ultra upscale type, not catering to mainlaners. Even the W hotel uses 飯店(Fan Dian).

A quick check of Tourst Bureau will show that 飯店(Fan Dian) is more commonly used. If you are willing to do a little googling, you will find 飯店(Fan Dian) is also more commonly used for hotel in China. Truth is all I am telling, no something fancied while dosing off at work (OK, I was doing just that till few minutes ago :whistle: ).