No outing or revealing real names

I still think Ironlady has a point. She may have her real identity accessable on some other place on the Internet, but not here. The rules don’t mention other sites, they concern only Forumosa.
Therefore, regardless or whether a poster is well known somewhere else on the Web or how easy it is to find out an identity, on this site, we have a no-outings policy.
Let’s put it this way. Sitting at a bar with your friends (one site) and taking the Lord’s name in vain is absolutely nothing, but don’t ever try that in church (a different site).

I agree with Tony, Stewart, Robert, and Susan. I was just telling Anthony the other day, If Mencius doesn’t want her real name revealed, we should respect that.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]I still think Ironlady has a point. She may have her real identity accessable on some other place on the Internet, but not here. The rules don’t mention other sites, they concern only Forumosa.
Therefore, regardless or whether a poster is well known somewhere else on the Web or how easy it is to find out an identity, on this site, we have a no-outings policy.
Let’s put it this way. Sitting at a bar with your friends (one site) and taking the Lord’s name in vain is absolutely nothing, but don’t ever try that in church (a different site).[/quote]

Hey Wolf,

I know this is very much :flog:

But…

Just to be perfectly clear - Ironlady has posted her own complete and unabridged “real world” name several times on forumosa/segue. Other members of the community have also posted her full name, without challange from ironlady, AND there is a glowing profile of the real life ironlady on the parent site of Forumosa, oriented.org, which also uses her name. But, I repeat myself, I’m sorry (if you read through this thread).

I apologized for my slip, and corrected it, but the fact remains that I didn’t post any information that wasn’t already here, in abundance. Not to mention that she includes a link to her personal website in every of the 1,800 plus postings that she’s made here.

After this little incident with ironlady, I think all of us have to appreciate people like R.S. (I’ve learned my lesson I won’t post his name, even though he posts it himself). Not only does he leave his real name flapping in the wind for all to see, but his Lonely Planet guide book on Taiwan is still going strong (in what… it’s 15th edition?), and Creative Conversation still rocks! :notworthy: A True Taiwan pioneer, and an stand-up member of this community.

Outing people is bad form, but even Alien did it at least once.

[quote=“hatch”]Good day!

To Gus, Maoman, and to all the moderators, thank you kindly for reading this once again.

Here is the thread: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 6&start=45

My feedback:
[color=red]
Brian
[/color]floundered the thread and I disagree. My threads are floundered when I’m not breaching the rules myself in them. Other posters are(breaching the rules) and [color=red]
Brian
[/color]flounders the whole thread once again. I think it’s not fair for the same reasons I’ve posted earlier in this thread.

My conclusion:

[color=red]Brian’s [/color]
ability to moderate “sensitive content” in the open forum is questionable IMOHO.

Thank you

hatch[/quote]

Bannable, no? I’d hate like hell if my real name were used.

[quote=“The Gumper”][quote=“hatch”]Good day!

To Gus, Maoman, and to all the moderators, thank you kindly for reading this once again.

My feedback:
[color=red]
Brian
[/color]floundered the thread and I disagree. My threads are floundered when I’m not breaching the rules myself in them. Other posters are(breaching the rules) and [color=red]
Brian
[/color]flounders the whole thread once again. I think it’s not fair for the same reasons I’ve posted earlier in this thread.

My conclusion:

ability to moderate “sensitive content” in the open forum is questionable IMOHO.

Thank you

hatch[/quote]

Bannable, no? I’d hate like hell if my real name were used.[/quote]

except that Bu Lai En signs most of his posts with “Brian”, so hardly an ‘outing’ per se.

[quote=“truant”][quote=“The Gumper”][quote=“hatch”]Good day!

My feedback:
[color=red]
Brian
Brian

My conclusion:

Thank you

hatch[/quote]

Bannable, no? I’d hate like hell if my real name were used.[/quote]

except that Bu Lai En signs most of his posts with “Brian”, so hardly an ‘outing’ per se.[/quote]

Don’t the rules expressly forbid using a member’s real name whether they’ve outed themselves or not? Especially in cases where the subject matter of the post is less than convivial. For precedence I refer you to the Ironlady incident (my paralegalbot will be along shortly to post a link).

Hatch is riding everyone raw around here and if I was Bu Lai, I’d want to get rid of him. He now has legal recourse to do so.

My advice is freely given and yours to accept, deny or refute.

Sincerely,

The Gumper of Gumper, Gumper and Gumper. Attorneys at Virtual Law.

Bi Lai en signs off at times with bri.

hard to know if it’s Brian, an acronym for Brad Rhys-Innes or something else.

[quote=“The Gumper”]

Don’t the rules expressly forbid using a member’s real name whether they’ve outed themselves or not? Especially in cases where the subject matter of the post is less than convivial. For precedence I refer you to the Ironlady incident (my paralegalbot will be along shortly to post a link).

Hatch is riding everyone raw around here and if I was Bu Lai, I’d want to get rid of him. He now has legal recourse to do so.

My advice is freely given and yours to accept, deny or refute.

Sincerely,

The Gumper of Gumper, Gumper and Gumper. Attorneys at Virtual Law.[/quote]

well I agree that Hatch can be pretty annoying, but banning him based purely on that technicality would be pretty damn Anal.

[quote=“Mr He”]Bi Lai en signs off at times with bri.

hard to know if it’s Brian, an acronym for Brad Rhys-Innes or something else.[/quote]
he posted in another thread minutes after my point above, and signed off as Brian, as I’ve seen him usually do.

[quote=“Mr He”]
Bi
Lai en signs off at times with bri.

hard to know if it’s Brian, an acronym for Brad Rhys-Innes or something else.[/quote]

Bi?

Maybe this IS an outing after all :slight_smile:

From the rules:

Despite what the rules say, I think referring to Bu Lai En (which is the sinicized version of the name “Brian”) as Brian is not a serious offence. I don’t see any harm intended, nor did Bri, apparently. If he did, I would readily delete the reference, and send a warning PM to the OP.

For God’s sake, Olga. Don’t be so sensitive.

And if anyone outs Gus again they’ll be in real trouble.

Loretta =

[color=violet]Stan![/color]

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

While I agree that what David did in revealing Alice’s real name in a PM to George was out of line, I also agree with Kevin and Mark that banning him for it is going too far. Like Jim was saying to me and Susan the other day, if Alison has a feud with Tom, that’s between them and Glorianna. Now, I may not always agree with Alex’s decisions re: Henry’s posting behavior, but if Brent can do it, so can Jackie. Is that all clear to everybody (especially Scott - the poor sod still hasn’t gotten over Livia dumping him for Preston, after she found out about him sleeping with Vivian when he was out drinking with Harry, Jeff, and Jean Paul)?

There is another poster with the handle ‘brian’.

Loretta’s real name is…

Joey Deacon.

He lives in a free house and everything. Rumours of his demise were greatly exaggerated.

Can’t we all… j-just get along? sniff ?

My real name is Hugh Jass. And I am an alcoholic…

welcome huge …