Nobody Seen Me Do It, Can't Prove Anything!!!

Cha Bu Duo, if no asks don’t tell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCm-UoKil6Y

2 Likes

For those who don’t know, it’s a China Air 747 cargo plane that missed the runaway in Chicago O’Hare on a very rainy/cloudy day. Actually landed on the wet/mudddy grass and pulled itself back into the air for another go-around.

Watch the video. It’s quite good.

As one of the comments to the video said (comments sort of funny), he should get kudoos for being able to land a 747 on muddy grass and pull the elephant back into the air safely, but then get a slap on the side of the head for actually landing on the grass in the first place.

Here’s the first part.

https://youtu.be/yYiSrTUyXbo

The big problem with the whole thing is he refused to answer air traffic control and ground controller questions about why he was going around and what he had done. He actually took out quite a lot of runway furniture and contaminated the runway with soil, grass and other debris, could have caused a serious accident.

1 Like

If you read the comments, you’ll see the answer as to why he did not want to be “recorded” for what he did. I believe another pilot stated he would’ve done the same thing. Just shut his mouth and made it to the company area and let the company handle it. We only see the video. I am not going to make a verdict on who’s at vault. Perhaps a 1% chance that it’s the computer on the plane or even previous control tower directions. Anyway, a very interesting circumstance indeed.

The day I use youtube comments as a reliable reference is the day I know I’ve lost it!

No idea what caused the incident nor will I speculate, it’s the pilots actions after the incident that cause huge concern! Apart from the damage to signage and lights and the contamination of the runway he could also have damaged the aircraft. He should have reported the off and he should also have stopped and had a safety check of his aircraft once he landed. He could have damaged any one of a myriad of parts on the plane and further endangered his crew, aircraft and everyone else by ignoring what happening and taxiing off.

Waitin to hear @tommy525’s take on this one

Ghttps://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/610363-china-airlines-747-excursion-kord.html

Don’t know …maybe wet runway and they weren’t able to keep it on the tarmac, don’t know if taking off again was the best thing . Went well but it could’ve not been able to . Would think steering it back onto tarmac with engine power and rudder might have been the preferred route but they had the split second narrow window to go around. Maybe they didn’t slam it on the runway like they are supposed to do in rain to get best grip and the big bird slid off

They were able to get it back on tarmac otherwise takeoff would be hard, but why take off again unless going too fast to stop by that stage as reversers were not deployed.

Just my zero point one cent best totally uneducamated guesstamation on this.

Why is there a grassy part on the runway? Seems dumb.

1 Like

LOL. That is funny

Pave it and paint it green?

The problem with CI is its long history , one of many misfortunes. It’s current motto could be:

We are China Scarelines…we Scare You.

Maybe they need to rename to let go of its history.

Re brand, refresh…get Lufthansa to run the airline…but Not Air France , who seem to have reached the same level of a bad reputation as CI.

If a CI rebranding occurs, I vote for Air Taiwan as an alternative name—flying the formosan skies!

Guy

They won’t be able to use Taiwan in their name because China won’t grant them landing or overfly rights

1 Like

OK, if you’re going to play hardball, then how about the Separate Customs Airline of Chinese Taipei, Penghu, Kinmen, and Matsu—we would call it “Air SCACTPKM” for short. And then other airlines, under pressure from Beijing, would name it “China—SCACTPKM” on their websites.

Thanks, China, for keeping it real!

Guy

2 Likes

Or they could just call it CI

1 Like

That they did not is proof of the kind of pressure they are under, to keep deadlines, to lower costs. Rush, rush. Not good. That is how we got that spate of crashes before.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4ba33b1c

Some more details

1 Like

Good air cowboy skills to get the bird back into the air and do a repeat landing. I’m guessing ex-air force.

If so, then the spirit of the old CI remains alive and well, despite various attempts to reform their company’s “safety” culture.

Guy

2 Likes