Non-US folk, the classic films from your home country are?

What was that Aussie one where Elle McPherson got her tits oot fer the lads? Sirens?

I was at a conference once in Atlanta, Georgia, when I met a very beautiful woman from, of all the crazy places for a person to venture from all the way to Atlanta, Georgia, she was from Iceland. It seemed so weird talking to a person actually from Iceland that I had to mention one of my favorite films. I forget the name of it, but it’s about a Japanese guy whose parents died in Iceland, so he has to trek from Tokyo to Iceland to conduct traditional funeral rites for them and it’s a totally weird and terrific movie. Anyway, she was slightly amazed that I, an American knew of the movie, because apparently it’s quite popular in Iceland.

Edit, here it is:

More Aussie stuff.

Stone

Dogs In Space

He Died With A Falafel In His Hand - although it was loads better on stage.

Two Hands

Love and Other Catastrophes

Romper Stomper (I think I have the DVD if anyone wants to borrow it)

Indeed it was, with Portia DeRossi and Sam Neill, and Hugh Grant…

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I was at a conference once in Atlanta, Georgia, when I met a very beautiful woman from, of all the crazy places for a person to venture from all the way to Atlanta, Georgia, she was from Iceland. It seemed so weird talking to a person actually from Iceland that I had to mention one of my favorite films. I forget the name of it, but it’s about a Japanese guy whose parents died in Iceland, so he has to trek from Tokyo to Iceland to conduct traditional funeral rites for them and it’s a totally weird and terrific movie. Anyway, she was slightly amazed that I, an American knew of the movie, because apparently it’s quite popular in Iceland.

Edit, here it is:

[/quote]
I’d love to see that.

[quote=“cfimages”]More Aussie stuff.

Stone

Dogs In Space

He Died With A Falafel In His Hand - although it was loads better on stage.

Two Hands

Love and Other Catastrophes

Romper Stomper (I think I have the DVD if anyone wants to borrow it)[/quote]

May I add The Dish to the list of Aussie films; Very funny especially when they played the theme music to Hawaii Five O instead of the American National Anthem in one scene.

BroonAdelaide

In no real order:
‘Black Robe’; Bruce McDonald’s ‘RoadKill’, ‘Highway 61’, and ‘Hard Core Logo’; ‘FUBAR’; ‘The Decline of the American Empire’; ‘The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz’; ‘Goin’ Down the Road’; ‘The Rowdyman’.

I see WaltzingBloodyMatilda and CFI have named many of the good ones… Romperstomper is good, really good. Heavy but good.

So, how’s about I raise yer a Mad Max? The first one, of course, after that they went a bit Waterworld-ish. Bleergh.

Picnic at Hanging Rock

The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Bliss

Midnight Spares

Newsfront

Sunday Too Far Away

The Shiralee

A Town like Alice

The Adventures of Barry McKenzie

and for the kids:

Babe.

Finding Nemo.

Happy Feet.

and Aussie-wise you all forgot imdb.com/title/tt0106341/ :wink:

[quote]Picnic at Hanging Rock

The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert[/quote]
Three crackers there, especially the Jimmy Blacksmith one.
And there’s that one with Jenny Agutter dressed as a schoolgirl where she shows her bush.

Walkabout.

Bad Boy Bubby is a must-see.

The Proposition is also worth a look.

haven’t seen Bad Boy Bubby. Walkabout is another Oz classic, for sure. I had forgotten that one.

How about Chopper? A deadset classic, mate. “Where’s me fucking cash?”

and seeing as there has not yet been a response from our wooly friends across the Tasman, I’d just like to mention Bad Taste, Braindead, and Black Sheep. and the Navigators.

The Harder They Come

Great soundtrack, too

The Canadian Film board used to make some of the best films I had ever seen. Can’t remember any names.

There was a doco about a guy who set out from point a to point b somewhere in the northwest territories, by canoe. He set the camera up on the bow of the canoe somehow and paddled along discussing the wind and the water and the troubles he was facing with navigating and all that.

At night he’d talk into the camera about whatever it was… a death in the family I think.

People look down on Canadians but it’s because they actually don’t know the things like that that we do.

If you want to see some brilliantly concieved, flawlessly executed film making check out some of the CBC productions.

[quote=“Wookiee”]The Harder They Come

Great soundtrack, too[/quote]

One of the best, that is.
I also liked ‘Rockers’, ‘Dancehall Queen’, and ‘Shottas’.

I was born in the UK, so:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“Wookiee”]The Harder They Come

Great soundtrack, too[/quote]

One of the best, that is.
I also liked ‘Rockers’, ‘Dancehall Queen’, and ‘Shottas’.[/quote]
Aye… and also Third World Cop if you can handle the patois.

[quote=“Thelonlieste”]Walkabout.

Bad Boy Bubby is a must see.

The Proposition is also worth a look.[/quote]

Bubby is pretty good… and i used to work with Bubby’s sister in law so got to meet him a few times… nice bloke

Well I think the Commitments would fall under my category since made in Ireland although British director…Waking Ned Devine was set in Ireland in the film but actually largely filmed in the Isle of Man. In the Name of the Father was largely filmed in Kilmainham gaol in Dublin. Braveheart was set in Scotland but largely filmed in Ireland with an Australian/American lead so things get complicated quick…anyway good choices.
Some more iconic films… Michael Collins…not too many that I know of unfortunately.