Non-US folk, the classic films from your home country are?

Brassed Off is a great film. I’m a big fan of Tara Fitzgerald. It’s a pity McGregor can’t do a northern English accent without sounding retarded. He was the same in Little Voice. An overrated actor, in my opinion.
Nil by Mouth got a deserved mention further up this thread. Like someone said, though, it can ruin your day if you’re not ready for it.
I hated those Guy Ritchie gangster films, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Bollocks and the other one. Best British gangster film I’ve seen is Gangster Number One, with Malcolm McDowell and David Thewlis, a fantastic actor.
I’m happy to watch any Mike Leigh film, especially Naked and Secrets and Lies. That Gilbert and Sullivan one went on a bit, though.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]

Well I think the Commitments would fall under my category since made in Ireland although British director…Waking Ned Devine was set in Ireland in the film but actually largely filmed in the Isle of Man. In the Name of the Father was largely filmed in Kilmainham gaol in Dublin. Braveheart was set in Scotland but largely filmed in Ireland with an Australian/American lead so things get complicated quick…anyway good choices.
Some more iconic films… Michael Collins…not too many that I know of unfortunately.[/quote]
Isn’t it pretty much enshrined in law that every Irish person has to have seen The Field?

pieman1 I’m with you on Lock Stock, it has its moments but it ain’t a great gangster film. The Long Good Friday or Get Carter on the other hand…

Snatch was fab. It made me laugh when I saw it in Taiwan. They dutifully edited out ‘fuck’ and left all the really spicy stuff in.

Naked was brilliant too.

I want to see Oil City Confidential but its not out yet.
Edit. It is. Funk? Do your thang. I think those guys are the band I saw the most times in my wasted yoof. Can’t even remember how many shows!

[quote=“sandman”]I want to see Oil City Confidential but its not out yet.
Edit. It is. Funk? Do your thang. I think those guys are the band I saw the most times in my wasted yoof. Can’t even remember how many shows![/quote]
Oily City Confidential… sounds like Jimi would be able help you out with that.Unless it is about fully clothed midget wrestling.

Mad Max (1979) - Held world record as the highest profit-to-cost ratio of a motion picture and introduced Mel Gibson to an international audience.
A classic film IMHO…shot mostly in Melbourne.

Year My Voice Broke is also held in high regard, also having been released in this decade.

Dogs in Space (1987) - A cult film set in the post-punk “little band scene” in Melbourne in 1979.
Great film, great locations in (pre-yuppified St Kilda and Prahran, stars Michael Hutchinson RIP of INXS, also great sound track with Ollie Olsen)

Romper Stomper (1992) - A multi-award winning film, one of the first major films starring Russell Crowe.
Classic anti Nazi skinhead movie…)

Muriel’s Wedding (1994) - AFI winner for Best Film with worldwide success, one of the first films introducing Toni Collette and Rachel Griffiths
Gotta love the way Aussies can make fun of themselves!

Chopper (2000) - A multi-award winning influential film based on the character of Mark Brandon “Chopper” Read
True story based on crime figure Mark Brandon Read, who has now written a book and become an artist…!

Some of my favorites…

I was giving this one some thoughts, but no major Belgian films made it -aside a few on the alternative circuits.

I stick to “the Smurfs” and “TinTin”. Cartoon movies though :laughing:

[quote=“ceevee369”]I was giving this one some thoughts, but no major Belgian films made it -aside a few on the alternative circuits.

I stick to “the Smurfs” and “TinTin”. Cartoon movies though :laughing:[/quote]

Well I have seen imdb.com/title/tt0103905/ and that’s a classic Belgian film.

He he he. “Look, all I can tell you is what I’ve already told Mister Beasley: none of us saw anything. It was just one of those things: Bluey Barnes was reading a magazine; Ambrose Hatcheson was taking a piss; Johnny Price was washing his hands; Jimmy Loughnan was watching a bullant crawl across the table, and I was watching Jimmy watching the bullant.”

[quote=“Funk500”][quote=“ceevee369”]I was giving this one some thoughts, but no major Belgian films made it -aside a few on the alternative circuits.

I stick to “the Smurfs” and “TinTin”. Cartoon movies though :laughing:[/quote]

Well I have seen imdb.com/title/tt0103905/ and that’s a classic Belgian film.[/quote]

:thumbsup: NICE !
Well, it is one of the 10 highest rated Belgian shoots, but not an environment Flemish Belgians like promoting.
We had once a guy called Dutroux coming from that same shit place called the “Borinage” hehe

Daens, a story about a priest is likely the best (Flemish) movie made
imdb.com/title/tt0104046/

EDIT: IMDB has some surprises. imdb.com/country/be

–>Steven Spielberg IS preparing a Belgian movie about TinTin, foreseen for 2011
–>RAMBO V (also for 2011) has Belgium + the US as Country of Origin.
So, they will be classics in 2012 :thumbsup:

I enjoy watching Thewlis. He was great in ‘Naked’.

As for Brit gangster films, my favorites include ‘The Long God Friday’; ‘Brighton Rock’; ‘The Lavender Hill Mob’; the original ‘Get Carter’; ’ Essex Boys’, and while not really a ganster movie, ‘Scum’.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]

As for Brit gangster films, my favorites include ‘The Long God Friday’; ‘Brighton Rock’; ‘The Lavender Hill Mob’; the original ‘Get Carter’; ’ Essex Boys’, and while not really a ganster movie, ‘Scum’.[/quote]
I liked “The Krays” and “Snatch”.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]

As for Brit gangster films, my favorites include ‘The Long God Friday’; ‘Brighton Rock’; ‘The Lavender Hill Mob’; the original ‘Get Carter’; ’ Essex Boys’, and while not really a ganster movie, ‘Scum’.[/quote]
I liked “The Krays” and “Snatch”.[/quote]
Indeed, those were both good as well.
:thumbsup:

The older ones are all about marching around and doing nasty things to other people.

Two of those wonderfully fattening chocolate eclairs.

Also, don’t forget The Coolangatta Gold, or the Bermagui Bronze as the Late Show called it.

:laughing:

What German films are good to watch though? I’ve seen Run Lola Run, Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei, Der Untergang and a lot of Werner Herzog’s stuff.

Also, don’t forget The Coolangatta Gold, or the Bermagui Bronze as the Late Show called it.[/quote]

Your mention of the late show reminds me of another great, The Castle. It was probably Eric Bana’s first fillum.

Also, don’t forget The Coolangatta Gold, or the Bermagui Bronze as the Late Show called it.[/quote]

Your mention of the late show reminds me of another great, The Castle. It was probably Eric Bana’s first fillum.[/quote]

I thought The Castle was terrible. A very average film. It’s one redeeming feature was that the street entrance door to the lawyers office was actually the front door of a flat I lived in, in Brunswick.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show… who could forget Dr frank-n-furter and of course Meatloaf… :discodance:

That rings a bell… was that the one about some boys growing up during the Blitz, and even “taking POW” a shot-down German bomber crew member? With some final scene of police surrounding the boys’ hideout, and them starting to shoot with a machine gun taken from the downed bomber?

For German movies, apart from the ones already mentioned I would suggest:

Das Boot
Knockin’ on Heaven’s door
Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others)

And some of my favorites by German/Turkish Director Faith Akin:
Im Juli (In July)
Gegen die Wand (Head On)
Auf der anderen Seite (The Edge of Heaven)