Not working? No income? How long can you last?

I can’t even survive 2 weeks. I got about 2000nt on me right now.

2 or 3 months and I’m going to have to resort to eating rats, bugs, or stealing. Ability to work was not good before, now it’s gone (as are any opportunity to get any work, as I had plans but those plans are basically gone).

The guitar featured in the youtube video is done and strung up. It’s for sale if anyone is interested.

Post some photos. I don’t play guitar but there must be some people here that do.

1 Like

They aren’t “good” pictures as I really don’t have the infrastructure to take good pictures (for this I need a special room with cloth backdrop or something that is protected from dust). But here goes…

7 Likes

More pics

I have another electric guitar in the pipeline.

6 Likes

A bit relevant, but manufacturers are encouraged to tell employees to work from home. Not sure how this is possible.

What this will do is further increase the number of jobs that becomes automated. Which will likely worsen job losses.

Also you know bars, KTV, etc. is still a sizable minority. They are all told to close, and I estimate it could be as much as 10% of the workforce. This is too small for government to ignore.

1 Like

You think that the schools will dismiss teachers now in the hope of recruiting new teachers for the Fall semester? That would be a big risk to take, but I wouldn’t put it past them. If the schools are still keeping fees but not paying salaries. kaching!

I sense that the teacher unions etc… will resist going back to school anytime soon. Obviously this virus is doing what viruses do. No one wants to take public transport. Everything is going to be online. Schools can contract out English assignments anywhere in the world. There are off the shelf learning videos for kids. No need for a foreigner to be physically in Taiwan until this virus finishes with us.

The semester will end next month. During this time the schools will line up the programming and talent they need for the English instruction next semester. There are too many uncertainties so this is why they will buy off the shelf English learning tools while keeping a much reduced roster of English teachers here in Taiwan in their employ.

Video instruction will become so natural over the next month that a remote English teacher anywhere in the world will do just fine. This of course will be just fine with the parents as well because everyone is going to be conditioned to online learning.

The schools here will be closed for months. Rightly concerned parents and teachers will see to that. This is going to be BRUTAL while at the same time being MISERABLE.

There is outrage in Singapore right now over young children getting infected while in school. The government has not shut them down yet. They have less than 100 cases being reported each day since January. Look at the charts on this page.

Thinking about your post, it’s probably pretty easy to get by in Taiwan as long as you have shelter. It’s stupid easy to steal food from traditional markets.

2 Likes

Well that shelter also costs money, I do not know if my landlord will reduce rent for me. I have heard some landlords have reduced rent drastically next month.

I kind of doubt it. If you look at the rest of the world, there has been nothing but complaints about virtual learning and how children are not supposed to learn from sitting in front of a screen all day. You add to that how technologically savvy no one in Taiwan is (TSMC notwithstanding), and there is no way they’d successfully outsource their foreign teachers or find and develop a workable platform. Simply fire them and use the crap 康軒 garbage that they already use? Sure! Develop something to replace the foreign teachers that in any way rivals a human with an understanding of how lessons are supposed to be conducted when you don’t even know how to make a very simple website that shows pictures of your school and links to various school info, let alone an ability to pay school fees? That’s a funny joke!

Also, as someone who taught in the public schools for years here, I would say with full confidence that there is no school that is willing to break with the exact curriculum that they used every year before. They could buy a curriculum with a fantastic online platform from a US or UK-based publisher that’s specifically designed for EFL teaching and actually aims to teach the English language, but they never would. They must be able to return to A3-sized,9-page multiple choice exams the moment they go back to in person learning!

9 Likes

Parents don’t send their kids to these schools just for education but also as a form of childcare. As soon as it is feasible they will return to doing that.

7 Likes

It’s true. My daughter is spending very little time in front of a computer. She looks at the PE/exercise videos and videos to learn songs. She hears audio of only one of her teachers. I sure don’t want my baby sitting in front of a computer all day. I just don’t see the schools contracting teachers for next semester. I don’t think many teachers will take the chance in hanging around just to see what happens. The English teachers might be offered by the hour positions or freelance jobs for the schools.

The parents that want the kids to really learn English will go online on their own and choose their own solution.

Such a terrible thing. These are miserable times. God bless everyone. I really hate this.

1 Like

I have food so that helps. I could probably not leave the house for about 3 months if necessary.

About 7 years before I’m reduced to doing favours for sailors.

4 Likes

I figure a decreased food budget and an increased alcohol budget probably balance out, so at my normal rate of spending I could go two years without income. Obviously not the plan though.

1 Like

Small minority? You’re joking, right?

Americans saved a lot during our lockdown. I expect the same for Taiwan.

And good on some of you for saving beforehand!

1 Like

My work is all online anyway. This outbreak started with the beginning of my low season (when I usually travel… sigh), so I’m living off my savings as I always do during the lean summer months. With the fall of 2022 looking ever more promising for students wishing to study abroad, I anticipate a busy peak season starting in October.

1 Like

Well, at least someone gets it.

All you have to do is look at the United States. A few hog butchering plants shut down because “someone sneezed!!!” and the next thing you know, farmers were shooting pigs and burying them in their fields, and bacon prices tripled when you could even get the stuff.

I’m not joking. Around last July, I talked with a guy whose family runs one of the largest hog farming operations in Minnesota. They lost a third of their normal output last year. They had nowhere to sell them to, no place to store them, and they couldn’t just keep feeding them until things normalized because there was no telling when the stupidity was going to end.

1 Like

I don’t believe this is true.:sunglasses:
If you want to debate it don’t debate it here though… It’s irrelevant to this topic .

1 Like

If my wife and I keep our expenses the same, about 15 years. If we cut down the expenses then maybe 18? 🤷🏻

I can luckily still work from home but my wife can’t. It’s a bit of a bummer, so I hope this virus pisses off soon.

1 Like