Not yearly online English

You cannot do anything about nobody who likes you means you can do anything about somebody who likes you?

If you are really interested in that, take a look at this Wikipedia article:

1 Like

There are colloquial usages in various dialects, which function the same as a single negative. I could imagine some people saying “nobody knows nothing” in some situations, and it would mean “nobody knows anything”.

2 Likes

ain’t nobody got time for that :blush:

2 Likes

2 Likes

That Lady is just so cool and lovable :smile:

3 Likes

It is so complicated.

It is indeed. Especially in English.
Other languages either use it or not, but in English it depends on the dialect, or even regionalisms…

1 Like

It’s our errrrr… education :laughing:

1 Like

One of my favourite double negatives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xDd-BvClH8

1 Like

indeed. It is more simple in Chinese.

No one know nothing. 沒有人知道任何事了。

You don’t know nothing. 你沒有不知道的。

I can’t afford no shoes.

1 Like

You’re hardly ever going to come across structures like this. If you do it’s unlikely to matter whether you understand the speaker’s meaning, because he’s almost certainly an idiot.

1 Like

I couldn’t find nothings in @the_bear’s sentence.

That depends entirely on where you are. It’s pretty common where I come from.

2 Likes

In essence it’s a silly thing to say. “Nobody knows anything”? Of course somebody knows something.

It’s not a double negative but where I come from “That’s bollocks, that is.” is a similar throw-away phrase with little meaning.

1 Like

It wouldn’t literally mean that no one knows anything. No one would be able to function if that were the case. Typically it would refer to some specific and mutually understood subset of information. Also it’s just an example. There could be lots of examples of possible double negative usage.

2 Likes

It might be that I don’t know nothing about this subject.

2 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i9UfNqj8l6U

2 Likes

The Stones still can’t get no satisfaction, and they’ve been trying for almost 60 years.

4 Likes