Novel coronavirus cases reignite SARS fears - the epidemic mess foretold

That woman.

This virus is pretty much the natural result of how things are in China. Lack of sanitation for food and choices of food. What did they expect?

Friggin cold is really a bug. Went to bed feeling almost fine, just woke up in a fit of cough that woke my furry children.

That woman may deserve derision but the fact is that she has in high probability infected a plane full of passengers, say 300 folk, who went on to various destinations not only in France, the hotel guests where she is staying, the cabbies she took or metro car companions, the restaurant patrons and staff… she might get sick but probably will recover and will only be upset that her trip to LV was postponed.

(A) Good!

But…

(B) should’ve been done (at least) two weeks ago.

If they’re shutting down transportation, then (goes without saying) this is very serious. My hope is if it comes here, then Taiwan can get it isolated and under control quickly. I think places like Beijing and Shanghai are going to be f***ed though, especially after CNY. I have friends who work there. Worried about them tbh.

This quote from your BBC article really drives the point home:

If you’re struggling for context - imagine shutting down London in the week before Christmas.

The big question left is the roads - and whether any of Wuhan’s 8.9 million inhabitants will be able to simply drive away.

Well… yes. Unless the roads are blocked too. At the very least it’ll ensure we’re safer unless they’re driving to airports in Shanghai and Chongqing just to fly here, which would be a very dedicated kind of selfishness. But at least it makes it harder.

1 Like

A timely/untimely alert this morning about a new Netflix program…

https://www.netflix.com/title/81026143?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

It would take some time though to realize this was something new, conduct testing, etc.

Mostly it’s just the fact of so many people and animals living in close proximity.

This is interesting in relation to the CNY holiday factor.

I adjusted the title of this thread, as we are no longer dealing with “rumors.”

Guy

3 Likes

Laowhy presents an unvarnished and heartfelt assessment of the coronavirus epidemic:

Guy

6 Likes

”* The latest: At least 17 people are dead in China and more than 500 infected as the Wuhan coronavirus continues to spread throughout Asia and across the world.”

“ One person under observation in Mexico

From CNN’s Tatiana Arias and CNN en Español’s Florencia Trucco

Mexico’s President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said that one person in the country is “under observation” for possibly having the Wuhan coronavirus. He added that the case has not been confirmed.

Speaking at a daily press conference on Wednesday, Lopez Obrador said the person is in Tamaulipas.”

“ Death toll in China rises to 17

From CNN’s Steven Jiang in Beijing

Eight new deaths from the coronavirus were confirmed in the province of Hubei on Wednesday, according to the health authority in Wuhan, the provincial capital.

The new deaths bring the total number of people who died to 17.”

Coronavirus treatment

There is no specific treatment. Most of the time, symptoms will go away on their own. Doctors can relieve symptoms by prescribing a pain or fever medication.“

You are spot on. We are discussing face mask protection from coronavirus in the thread dedicated to Vogmask. Link here:
Is Vogmask effective against infection from the novel Wuhan coronavirus?

At Vogmask Taiwan we are following the Wuhan viral outbreak closely. If you need any info about face mask protection, post on the thread I just linked above. Even if you prefer other brand of mask, the info on that thread will still be useful for you.

I want to believe lessons were learnt from the SARS outbreak. However, people are still recommending surgical masks to prevent infection :roll_eyes:

Saying surgical masks can’t hurt is wrong. As long as you are feeling safe wearing a surgical mask, it will prevent you from seeking proper, better protection, opening the opportunity for an otherwise avoidable infection.

As a general rule, but specially so during an epidemic outbreak, only buy N95 certified masks from reputable brands and reputable sources. Cheap generic products sold as N95 will most likely be untested and useless. 3M is a safe bet, Vogmask obviously is a safe bet, but beware of fakes. Even when buying a well known brand, don’t buy on Ruten or from China. Go to an official supplier.

2 Likes

9:10 am Jan 23

Seven new cases of Wuhan Coronavirus had been confirmed in Shanghai as of Wednesday midnight, local health authorities said on Thursday morning.

8:18 am Jan 23

571 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in China, with 17 deaths.

5:18 am Jan 23

The World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday night extended to Jan 23 its emergency talks on whether the novel coronavirus outbreak in China constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).

Global Times is a Chinese state organ that has been criticized for spreading disinformation. I’d advise forumosans to seek better sources for updates.

Guy

3 Likes

Like the toilet paper crise?

1 Like

Photo in Seattle 1918, public transit required masks.

101 years ago, same masks as today (not sure was effective as millions died then from the Spanish Plague / Flu). People need to reduce travel and stay put for the short term to avoid the spread vs. going out somewhat useless masks.

Great find. You just confirmed my previous comment on people not learning from past experience. Even after a whole century :sweat_smile:

Today we actually have effective filtering masks. It is just that people prefer buying the useless paper and cloth masks because of:

1. Ignorance
  2. Price
  3. All of the above

Still, the advice on reducing unnecessary travel is gold.

1 Like

Link for a New York Times article detailing the Chinese government’s, shall we say, mixed response. I thought I read an earlier version of this article with details about huge banquets put on in Wuhan just a couple of weeks ago, when the virus was already a cause of concern, but I can’t find anything about that now.

Some of the quotes:

But the government, wary of letting fear run rampant, is also working meticulously to control the narrative about the virus by censoring news articles and social media posts. The police in Wuhan investigated eight citizens this month for spreading what it described as rumors on the internet.

For weeks, the government had largely treated the outbreak as a problem isolated to Wuhan. It was only after the Hong Kong news media reported that cases of the coronavirus had been detected elsewhere that the government began acknowledging, early Monday, that the disease had spread to other cities.

4 Likes

Bit sensationalist.

2 Likes

Betteridge’s Law applies here.

:thinking:

googles Betteridge’s Law

3 Likes