Novel coronavirus cases reignite SARS fears - the epidemic mess foretold

Son:“I’d like to punch people in their faces”
Mom:“Then go to China”
Dad:" :ok_hand: "

Really makes you think… :thinking:

Fingers crossed for your family.

4 Likes

Please read the source data from Taiwan CDC, Ministry of Health statements, the CECC etc.

Guy was evacuated on the special flight from Wuhan. He had a slight fever upon arrival. Two others had a cough. One minor had a stomach ache. All were taken to a special negative pressure hall for evaluation and treatment.

Of the 3 suspicious cases, one tested positive to the presence of virus.

Please note the temperature of the travelers on this flight was taken 6 times before letting them on the plane and they spent 4 hours in evaluation before getting to the buses/ambulances for transportation, in a special adapted area in a far way hangar at Taoyuan.

So actually all precautions were taken and diffusion of virus from, this infected individual to the general public was curtailed to the extent of human endeavors.

3 Likes

Brazilian JiuJitsu, Muay Thai and Boxing!!! Well man, you have a warrior in your family, ask him to protect himself and keep training, as much as he does not panic, you both here have time to check what to do to bring the little “Rickson Gracie” back.

1 Like

I’d be positively surprised if close to 300 people shared time in closed locations with someone who was infected and no one contracted the virus. Sure hope it will stay like that, I was worried there could be 15+ cases among those people on the special flight.

Have they already tested everyone or only started with those who were showing some symptoms?

They started with the ones showing symptoms. the rest are in quarantine, under close medical supervision.

I mean, all humanly possible precautions were taken, and we have seen several countries that have evacuated their citizens from Wuhan have encountered this issue.

Don’t forget wrestling!

1 Like

3 models for when this virus would die down. The most optimistic, the red line, is now no longer a possibility. The second model, the green line, based on estimates provided by China’s expert Zhong Nanshan, is on track with current data. If that is the case, then the virus would begin to die down around Feb 13. The yellow line is based on estimates provided by Jonathan Read from Lancaster University, projects 240,000 total confirmed cases, and would only die down sometime after March.

6 Likes

Well… I REALLY hope it doesn’t take until March.

…in general, or assuming it will stay relatively contained within china?

↑ assuming it will stay relatively contained within china

He based his calculations on previous epidemics, such as SARS in Taiwan and Hong Kong, and Dengue fever outbreaks in Taiwan.

So the worst case scenario assumes China’s containment efforts are not every effective.

Based on thread traffic the virus is starting to die out. :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

Silly me invested in BITCOIN instead of masks. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Anybody ever had the flu before? You know that something’s off perhaps 3-4 days before you have any symptoms that a doctor could observe, such as an elevated temperature.

I don’t believe that this is magically hopping from person to person either, especially as we have no cluster cases outside of China. Every person in Taiwan who has the virus either came directly from Wuhan or was sleeping with somebody who did.

I’ve always been told (and personally experienced) that flu hits hard and fast, taking you from healthy to worthless in a matter of hours, whereas a cold starts off with minor symptoms that build up and peak after a couple days before you start to get better.

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of information about the exact progression of the new coronavirus, but if it’s anything like flu then it can seemingly come out of nowhere. And I think you’re contagious before you realize it.

2 Likes

15 minutes at two foot proximity and you need to inhale the virus deep into your lungs. That’s what some experts are saying. So you’d need a fairly confined environment with people with no awareness of basic hygiene. The sort of people who clear their throat every ten minutes and spit on the floor. Basically any bus or train in a large Chinese city.

7 Likes

I’ve a very shallow breathing pattern, so no danger here.

1 Like

https://tw.appledaily.com/life/20200205/4PX57AT4ZNZPV7VSYFDRBJOGGE/

Here’s another study about masks.

“Several 3M masks were able to capture over 99% of tiny 0.01 micron particles (10 times smaller than the coronavirus), even while on people’s face. What’s more, surgical ones were surprisingly effective, capturing 63% of the tiny virus-sized particles.”

7 Likes

Our intrepid citizen reporter in Wuhan is being harassed by the cops again! Sorry, but no English subtitles this time.

This first video has 8 cops show up to try to arrest him, but he refuses to open his door.

This second video is another attempt to arrest him by baiting him with a female cop who tries to get him to open the door under the guise of bringing him food. He politely declines the food and he can hear the other 7 cops in the stairwell waiting for him to unlock his door! He later films them on the street below leaving.

I feel bad for this guy because when things get back to normal, he’s going to prison or be executed for his civil disobedience.

7 Likes

It’s not though. It’s sort of like when you hear a woman say she’s five months pregnant but didn’t have any idea because she wasn’t showing. Actually, not quite like that but similar in that if a person is paying attention, something is amiss. However, not all would be easy enough for a doctor to diagnose in a cursory exam.