Novel coronavirus cases reignite SARS fears - the epidemic mess foretold

Yeah, I definitely remember having achy joints when I had the flu.

2 Likes

You must have a good MD. Last year I came down with something that made me cough for like a month, several switches in medicine didn’t work.

There is no cure. No such thing for the flu. No magic pill to make it go away. You can get a vaccination which is just a weakend strain of the virus, but the only thing that can “cure” you (so to speak) is your own immune system. Your body has to fight it off.

The only thing modern medicine can do is alleviate the symptoms.

THIS is why your BEST attack strategy is to have an impregnable defense. Boost your immune system. Keep in top shape. Ultimately, that is what will save any of us.

4 Likes

Put the non-citizens back on a plane and send them back!

Put the idiot man who allowed this in prison! Fucking guanxi!

5 Likes

And no need for a visa?

Relatives were favoured instead of those in need.

It’s not massively surprising.

1 Like

I have mixed feelings about this one. One the one hand, it was a sleazy move to bring over people not on the original list. On the other hand, it seems like keeping families together is a good thing. Now that they’re here, I say put them under extreme quarantine.

1 Like

Someone has got to face consequences for these disgusting and selfish actions!

1 Like

Yes, the KMT dickwad who arranged it should definitely face legal consequences.

5 Likes

It’s the KMT, what else would we expect?

I have a cunning plan to sneak into the CKS memorial hall and put a big face mask on CKS himself. Who’s in?

2 Likes

I say let him catch the bug. I hear it can survive for days on smooth surfaces like his big bald head.

1 Like

That’s why I continue to go to the pool. It’s a place that can freak all of us out at a time like this (germs everywhere!). But I’m determined to stay in shape.

Tencent’s slip of the tongue today … maybe …
Those are whole other figures.

1 Like

Usually true, and presumably for this virus too, since it’s apparently more dangerous for older people. But not always true - the Spanish flu / 1918 influenza may have been more dangerous for those with a stronger immune system. I think? Others can probably give a more accurate interpretation of these articles:

From BBC, emphasis added:

Besides replicating very quickly, the 1918 strain seems to trigger a particularly intense response from the immune system, including a ‘cytokine storm’ – the rapid release of immune cells and inflammatory molecules. Although a robust immune response should help us fight infection, an over-reaction of this kind can overload the body, leading to severe inflammation and a build-up of fluid in the lungs that could increase the chance of secondary infections. The cytokine storm might help to explain why young, healthy adults – who normally find it easier to shake off flu – were the worst affected, since in this case their stronger immune systems created an even more severe cytokine storm.

To me, this Clinical Correlations source also suggests the Black Death may have been more dangerous for those with a strong immune system:

He explained that a child’s immune system is still learning, but is usually able to match the infection with an immune response, eventually fighting off the infection. After about 40 years of age, the ability to produce extreme inflammation declines, making the body more susceptible to infection. In young adulthood, individuals have acquired immunity to common generalized infections and have the vigor to launch an intense localized inflammatory response. …

Burnet’s theory has historical evidence to back it up. The Black Death killed young adults more readily than children, the middle-aged, or the elderly.

1 Like

The woman had been in contact with family visitors from Wuhan, China — the epicentre of the outbreak — who are still in her home, in isolation.”

1 Like
1 Like

Eh problem is when they are the second family…And actually families with babies and elderly were bumped off, literally, they took a bus and were not allowed on board.

I think it is quite a petty move on both China’s and the KMTs part. They are using their planes, their people…And choosing who goes in the plane. They did not do this to US or Germany. Aside from using these mercy flights for politics, to reinforce the idea we are part of China, they add salt to the wound by twisting the purpose of saving people to actually rendering our safety efforts moot and dooming all if the virus goes into the community.

3 Likes

A few days ago actually…It’s being doing the rounds.

I’ve seen that pic shared in a few places, unfortunately it’s so low res that anyone could edit it with ease. No way to tell if it’s true or false.

Feelsbadman, if confirmed it would make for some nice theories.