Novel coronavirus cases reignite SARS fears - the epidemic mess foretold

Not sure if this has been posted yet: 60 year old US woman dies from the virus in China

The person who succumbed to the illness was a woman with underlying health conditions, the New York Times reported, citing two unidentified people familiar with the matter.

Paywalled article below:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-07/coronavirus-death-toll-climbs-near-total-from-sars-virus-update?srnd=premium-asia

I mean yes, but it’s an informed guess based on evidence by a guy whose whole professional life has been dedicated to understanding this kind of stuff.

4 Likes

Here’s a non-pay walled article.

1 Like

Surgical masks are a medical ‘devise’ and need approval, import license, and business license if for sale.

Hope it’s not all happening again with the Wuhan virus

It’s much stronger than China is admitting

Who is this person?

Just remember that 10 years ago the United States was the origin of the H1N1 outbreak, which left 1,632,258 infected and 284,500 dead in 241 countries, with a mortality rate of 17.4%. I think I remember that nobody labeled this virus as an “American or Western Virus” nor did anyone close its borders

Because it was the “Mexican Virus”.

So, ORIGINATED in Mexico.

According to the US CDC, it was first detected in humans in the United States. First DETECTED in humans in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/information_h1n1_virus_qa.htm

6 Likes

And I thought that came from China too ?

I’m getting to the point where I’m going to have to start rolling my eyes at some of you.

“It’s much stronger than China is admitting”

What evidence do you have to support that? If China was reporting a 2% death rate, but we were observing much higher death rates outside of China, THEN we would have reason to believe that this virus is “much stronger than China is admitting.” But at this point, the exact opposite is happening.

2 Likes

Well frankly can’t trust what China says is all

1 Like

I’m not saying that we should just trust what China is saying… I’m saying that you need evidence to make specific claims.

3 Likes

Pretty sure that the origin of the 2009 H1N1 “swine flu” was in Mexico, and also the death rate was very low. Like less than the ordinary flu or definitely not as much as 17 percent. But it spread a huge amount.

Unless you are not talking about the Swine flu?

Mexico it’s in American continent yet

1 Like

Novel xenophobia viruses eh. You have a point there, though. I think infectious diseases often have an aspect of it, but seems like it’s ramped up some for the current one.

But, you said United States. Did you mean The United Mexican States (Estados Unidos Mexicanos)?

8 Likes

It’s ok guys, we had the mandatory:“But what about that other disease in that other place?” reply of the day. Let’s move along.

9 Likes

Which is actually Mexico’s name!

Estados Unidos Mexicanos! Perfect

2 Likes

Yea cause talking about the flu isn’t relevant to a discussion about the flu

1 Like