Novel coronavirus cases reignite SARS fears - the epidemic mess foretold

Anyone know his/her ethnic background?

My argument and it doesn’t have to be taken at face value is that this virus is very much more of a worry than some are thinking

And it’s because of at least the following

Pres Hsi calling it a devil virus
China’s unprecedented lockdown of 50 million people something never has happened before

The speed of transmission and the speed of which it turns to being extremely serious

Did this Mexican or US virus originally spread there and sicken many people in that particular place so that it was a blindingly obvious public health measure to limit entry from people in that country? That’s what I’d like to know.

2 Likes

Live streaming Cap Go Meh festival.
Pontianak, Indonesia.
This makes me kind of nervous.

Girl you is on fire.

That’s evidence that China, at this point, is taking the virus very seriously. It’s not evidence that it’s much worse than they’re admitting.

I am willing to entertain the idea that China is either wittingly or unwittingly underreporting the number of people who have been infected. That would not be inconsistent with the information we have so far. What I find far-fetched is the idea that a significantly higher number of people are dying from this virus. I’ve seen zero evidence to support that, and the international cases seem to provide evidence that the mortality rate from this specific virus just isn’t that high.

We are up to 500 cases internationally now and are still at only 2 deaths… That’s a comparable mortality rate to the average seasonal flu.

4 Likes

Well, if you were worried about the impact of overpopulation on climate change, we may have found a solution!
yay?

2 Likes

Right you are!!!

Del

Guess if it’s less fatal it I’ll be more likely to spread.

1. It took time to connect the dots from the affected ship to passengers to route taken here in Taiwan.

2. It also needs to follow relevant legal channels.

3. Once the news broke, the message was sent because the press here is downright hostile and disrespectful, not to say irresponsible. The local media, due first to political reasons and second competition, will release untrue, incomplete or not suitable for public knowledge at the time information.

So the government is threatened and cornered into action that it may not want to take.

1. The places are open spaces most of them.

2. It is not all 3000 passengers came out, most took tour, are well identified.

3. The second day after starting work, it is not half Taipei that was exposed. Limited exposure in open spaces.

It is different on the ship, people in closed spaces, limited ventilation, in close quarters.

That said, indeed, one infected patient currently as per knowledgeable experts, not China ones, insist on an infection rate of 3 to 5.

And China’s figures cannot be trusted. I bet they are computer generated. A perfect quadratic equation:

3 Likes

My bad.

Bad logic on my part.

Don’t think your logic was that bad, well the death rate does seem to be proportionately higher in the place that has more infections right now.

Presumably the mortality rate would also increase in other places if the numbers infected were much higher.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Cruises and coronoavirus

I don’t particularly trust the accuracy of China’s reporting…but this theory that they are computer generated just because they are close to a quadratic equation seems pretty flimsy to me. When looking at virus spread in a population this large and numbers in the tens of thousands, it’s very likely that you are going to get something approximating a quadratic equation or exponential growth.

1 Like

Yeah, if it was computer generated it would be smarter, with a few random data, more natural.

They locked Guangzhou. Haven’t been able to get in touch with relatives. They were self locked up but I don’t know how long they can hold up or what is the contagion situation in their neighborhood.

3 Likes

This is how we will get in trouble here in Taiwan!!! Always, there is always an “exception”.

1 Like

Many places I deal with in China are under restricted movement however it actually makes it easier to get in touch with people as they’re mostly at home and hence have internet, cellphone, land line etc. What difficulty are you experiencing getting in touch?

So what’s the deal? The government says we don’t need to wear masks now?

Yeah, the effectiveness are not good, only sick people would use it.