Novel coronavirus cases reignite SARS fears - the epidemic mess foretold

There are news talking about the “war” strategy implemented in Wuhan now, the gov is going door to door checking for sick people. I guess the videos come from this new operation.

1 Like

Yipes

1 Like

So it’s selfish of me, I know, but outside the obvious my biggest worry now is that Taiwan will become quarantined from international travel. That is a real threat to me here since I’ve got to be able to travel.

Unfortunately I think this is likely to happen (thanks cruise line). Watching the developments in northern Taiwan very closely.

4 Likes

(as already posted)

Force is being used to bring in infected people. I wonder what will happen in China if ever a disease is fatal or near fatal very quickly and large numbers of people are infected. Will they dig a ten story high pit and just throw infected people in?

some feel the virus is unstoppable. its out of the bag. Let’s hope not

Well they do it to their pigs:

our citizen journalist has been “disappeared”.

2 Likes

I agree with you. Once the virus gets going from the Diamond Princess passengers from the 31st and the ship that just returned, Taiwan will be shut out, too. Fun times!

1 Like

22 posts were split to a new topic: Visas

It’s okay to be selfish. My selfish thought is I’m worried my semester or at least a lot of the classes I teach will be cancelled as my school was already struggling with enrollment. Hopefully that March 2nd date sticks.

My other selfish thought is my father-in-law is hospitalized long term, and I worry about my wife or kid visiting and picking up something. But you just have to put those thoughts aside and realize the actual chances of our worst fears becoming reality is quite low. I think Taiwan is overall being pretty vigilant, despite some obvious screw-ups and idiocy.

4 Likes

Japan also had infected ferry passengers stopping at multiple ports. In Singapore, there’s the Grand Hyatt conference in which half a dozen people got infected and then spread it around the city’s public transportation system. Let’s just wait and see. Not every country in Asia can be shut down. It’s almost been 2 weeks since the 31st and there hasn’t been a huge spike in cases yet. As the Brits say “keep a stiff upper lip.”

2 Likes

Death toll past 800!!! More than SARS in just 2 months!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-08/coronavirus-death-toll-rises-to-805-passing-sars-virus-update?sref=hm8oMGrA&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=business&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid=socialflow-facebook-business

Fortunately Taiwan is still reporting only 17 cases, with 0 deaths and 1 recovery.

Sigh.

3 Likes

And still not allowed into the WHO :cry:

2 Likes

I know people have complained about the “not as bad as” comparisons before, but there are still over 10,000 deaths from “the flu” this flu season in the US alone.

It’s shocking to see the coronavirus death toll climb like this, and the rate of infection is crazy, but sometimes I feel like we’re panicking over something not worth panicking over.

Famous last words?

It has been said here multiple times but the thing is we know nothing about it yet. It might have high enough mutation to become endemic and prevent effective vaccination. In that case we will be looking at the same thing every few years and it would be in addition to the flu. We also don’t know if it would actually stop spreading when it gets warmer. It’s better to eradicate diseases before they spread than to try and cure them.

6 Likes

Fact is this virus has the POTENTIAL for tens of millions of deaths and that is why the concern.

The fear that it could be like the Spanish Flu of 1918

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

3 Likes

We might need to scale down the panic level in here. At the moment we’re just giving each other the willies. Please everyone stop using hyperbole and exclamation marks and caps. Not a single person has died in Taiwan so far and there’s still zero community transmission.

9 Likes

Yeah i typed “potential” in caps because it is only that a Potential, its not an Immediate or Imminent threat at that scale. But obviously the govts are worried about it becoming much worse.

Another cruise ship, Superstar Aquarius, allowed to dock yesterday 8 Feb, and the 1700+ passengers 90% Taiwanese cleared "to return home, but have to continue to monitor their health and follow the 14-day home quarantine rule."