Novel coronavirus cases reignite SARS fears - the epidemic mess foretold

Long and ever-growing Twitter thread about coronavirus and microbiology and viruses and bacteria. Lots of good stuff in here reviewing what we probably all learned, but mostly forgot, from high school biology. They’re updating the thread with new information as it comes in.

7 Likes

Erm… where do you live?

Just took my 1 year old to the “good kids clinic” near our home. He threw up twice today at his Nanny’s house and has just barely a tiny fever.

The nurses were all decked out in face shields, n95 masks, gloves and protective smocks.

No appointments available until after 6:30. Have to go back. Hate it because you can’t put a mask on a 1 year old…they just eat them.

I don’t think vomiting was one of the Coronavirus symptoms.

1 Like

Are the virus spreaders foreign residents or Taiwanese returning to Taiwan? I don’t see why there is a distinction as they need to screen us all.

3 Likes

Hope you’re right, but in the Twitter thread I linked to a few posts ago, that writer anticipates a vaccine won’t be available until January or so. From what I remember, part of the problem is the need for testing - they don’t want to make a vaccine that’s more dangerous than the initial flu.

Somewhere (upthread? elsewhere?) recently I read about a company / factory / lab that’s got a massive stockpile of vaccines for SARS: by the time it was developed, there was no longer a need for it. I think they were investigating how much that work can be carried over to this outbreak.

1 Like

4 Likes

Taiwan didn’t receive test results for anyone in 6 hours. The fastest Taiwan can turn around testing is 24 hours, and I’d be highly surprised if they can do that for 1700 people.

What the Taiwanese authorities did was take samples from everyone, check their temperature (trusting that no one took antipyretics) and ask a few questions. Then let them leave the boat!

As can be seen in interviews with passengers on the Diamond Princess, carriers can be completely symptom free and yet still spread the virus.

5 Likes

So what the hell man. Does some CCP operative in Taiwan want this shit? Where was the pressure to let all these people free willy-nilly coming from?

This is so much our lives right now too. Difference is that our 7-month old is in the “grab everything within reach” mode, which makes baby masks useless.

Hope your kid gets proper medical care and recovers quickly!

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Cruises and coronoavirus

Yes, it would appear that’s exactly what the CCP wants

There’s always those little baby hand sock things that transform their hands to fingerless nubs, thereby nerfing their ability to grab anything.

2 Likes

As far as I can tell the cruise that disembarked in Keelung had no connections at all to the virus, unlike the ship in Yokohama. The ship was just going back and forth between Keelung and Japan, with no record of any passengers carrying the virus (unlike the Yokohama one - a man who got off that cruise in Hong Kong was diagnosed with the virus several days later). Letting those people (mostly Taiwanese) into Taiwan, with a quick temperature check, is basically the same as letting a planeload from Tokyo enter Taiwan at the airport.

I guess the “testing” was just a temperature check, rather than the blood test (or whatever they’re doing), but if I recall correctly the article was annoyingly vague about that.

Link somewhere upthread where I wrote about this before.

7 Likes

My recurring patch of eczema that only appears when we go several days without max humidity has appeared. Based on what I learned from @Andrew this signifies optimal virus transmission/susceptibility conditions. Y’all stay moist now!

3 Likes

Pet food! Litter! Forget about toilet paper, think pets first!

3 Likes

Icon must do this or risk being consumed by her own horde of pets when circumstances become dire.

6 Likes

That’s not what the news outlet said. (I have linked the news on Sunday here in this thread where they said they all tested negative ). Which is completely BS

Exactly , seems like they are bringing it upon the whole island. Playing with luck in ChaBuDuo LalaLand

1 Like

https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-10-20-intl-hnk/h_5d66bc0907179ab4ca9dcd6d357b3f15

Corona fugitives

“Chan said the government has identified nine people who violated quarantine orders during spot checks. Two people are still missing, and police will list them as wanted. She warned that anyone who violated quarantine orders could be subject to a maximum fine of HK$25,000 ($3,200) and six-month imprisonment.“

I’m sorry for you. 加油!
Maybe he got something from the cousin during CNY?

1 Like

[Department of Health (DOH) Undersecretary] further explained that since President Rodrigo Duterte and IATF’s resolution includes China, and since the World Health Organization (WHO) follows the One-China policy, Taiwan is included in the China travel ban.

Trust the Philippines to politicize a health issue.

2 Likes