Novel coronavirus cases reignite SARS fears - the epidemic mess foretold

The first to fall ill was a 38-year-old Italian who met with someone who had returned from China on Jan. 21 without presenting any symptoms of the new virus, health authorities said. That person was being kept in isolation and appears to present antibodies to the virus.

The 38-year-old is now hospitalized in critical condition. His wife and a friend of his also tested positive for the virus. Three patients at the hospital in Codogno where he went with flu-like symptoms on Feb. 18 also have infections, as do five nurses and doctors.

@Andrew0409, coming to a village near you.

Lombardia is still a ways away. I’m stocking up on supplies for a few months. We have a country villa with solar and independent water source with no one near for miles. Not a bad place to hide out if things get too bad.

5 Likes

The Swiss Redoubt comes to mind too.

Let’s all go there.

6 Likes

Why? I still swim every day. I doubt the virus survives chlorinated water.

2 Likes

Still available? I might take that offer.

well people may NOT show up !

1 Like

I think its not in doubt this will be a pandemic. I hope not though but it seems to spread too far too fast, worse than SARS did.

And keep a camera handy for a good self-immolation.

Prison overpopulation solution!

I don’t agree at all. In a free society, one should have the right to joke about anything.

Maybe a public nuisance fine for doing on a train at must.

The beast is out. We just need to accept it, take it up the arse whatever it gives us and get on with our lives.

In less than a month, they will cancel all schools in Taiwan. Impossible to keep infections under two with that many pupils.

Probably right. However, the older I get the less I underestimate stuff. See 2016 as an example :wink:

I’m not so pessimistic . Seems under control here.
Plus flu and cold season are winter and autumn here .

But there’s so many kids in my kids school, one of the largest in Taiwan, that I do worry about the two kids rule.

Warmer weather should help - but its always warm/hot in Singapore!!

1 Like

@tommy525

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/21/health/coronavirus-cases-usa.html

Why is the Taichung Lantern Festival going ahead? I thought we was supposed to avoid mass gatherings?

1 Like

Why? Nothings going to happen with gatherings any more than the regular travel in a train or a bus.

Dunno, just seems counter-intuitive. Not that I’ve ever even worn a mask…

I wonder what will parents do if schools get cancelled. Parents still need to work anyways

1 Like