Novel coronavirus cases reignite SARS fears - the epidemic mess foretold

Your query is my command:

Under the [Taiwan] government’s three-tier travel advisory system, a level 1 “watch” urges travelers to take normal precautions and respect disease-prevention measures put in place at their destination.

A level 2 “alert” urges travelers to be more vigilant and a level 3 “warning” cautions against nonessential travel.

Source: Virus Outbreak: Two new cases related to 24th patient - Taipei Times

Guy

1 Like

Please don’t jinx it. South Korea looked as safe as Taiwan up until 3 or 4 days ago.

3 Likes

Some optimist was saying that the silver lining of the SK and Japan cases is that we will have more reliable information, compared to China’s numbers. So better precautions/predictions can be taken/made.

4 Likes

Eh? Acid reflux counts as a symptom now?

1 Like

Symptom is symptom. GERD is linked to coughing.

1 Like

Oh yeah, anything’s a symptom, including not having any symptoms. A week or two back I read somewhere (sorry, not going to dig through a massive search history) that a significant number of patients are presenting with abdominal issues rather than respiratory ones.

1 Like

Fuck’s sake. When are we gonna understand anything about what’s actually going on with this.

2 Likes

See my post. SK is being quite candid about its situation, a lot more than Japan. If Taiwan and SK can ally to fight this thing, it will benefit both greatly and bring to light more reliable info others can use.

2 Likes

2027?

Basically any symptom anywhere on your body can potentially indicate the presence of corona virus.
Runny nose? Coronavirus
Cough? Cronavirus
Heavy breathing? Coronavirus
Toothache? Coronavirus
Broken arm? Coronavirus
Food Panda delivery guy arrives late? Coronavirus

7 Likes

Supposedly microscopic images of the Coronavirus.

2 Likes

Think about if this was in Taiwan. I doubt 9000 Taiwanese would be at home for 14 days like that. Let’s see what happens

1 hr 34 min ago

Over 9,000 members of the Shincheonji religious group to be self-isolated and tested in South Korea

From CNN’s Sophie Jeong in Seoul

A medical worker at a preliminary testing facility at the National Medical Center where patients suspected of contracting coronavirus are assessed in Seoul.

A medical worker at a preliminary testing facility at the National Medical Center where patients suspected of contracting coronavirus are assessed in Seoul. Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images

Thousands of members of the Shincheonji religious group in the southern city of Daegu will be tested for the novel coronavirus, South Korea’s Ministry of Health and Welfare said on Saturday.

Around 9,300 members of the religious group will also be required to self-isolate, after a cluster of coronavirus cases were linked to it.

Among the 346 total confirmed cases in South Korea, 169 are associated with the group.

“We have secured a list of about 9,300 members of the relevant religious group, and we are preemptively enforcing self-isolation and facility isolation," said Kim Gang-lip, South Korean vice minister of health in a news briefing:

Already, 4,474 people from the list are self-isolating and the ministry is conducting the first tests on 544 people who said they have respiratory symptoms.

The ministry is currently enforcing self-isolation and checking symptoms for 4,860 people from a second list they have secured.

Kim said that mobile sample collection teams will be in operation so people can be tested without going outside

1 Like

Now what? Evacuate prison?

3 Likes

“… and that things could get worse in terms of economic and market impact.”

He stays optimistic, ‘could get worse’? It will get worse!

1 Like

What am I supposed to see here?

Just saw on the news that Japanese reporters interviewed several taxi drivers and asked why they are not wearing masks, and they said they don’t want to seem improper and rude to the customer (sitsu rei).

So that answers what we were discussing before.

3 Likes

Oof more places I can’t go now. Going to have to cancel our biggest meeting.

A good summary of the coronavirus infected patients in Taiwan so far:

9 Likes

Wonder why the government of Japan is dropping the ball?

Bloomberg columnist Adam Minter (linked here at the Japan Times) tracks a pattern of dissembling and covering up health crises, concluding that it’s time for a change:

Guy

1 Like

That’s interesting the guy who got the driver sick has natural immunity. I wonder how common that is.

1 Like