Novel coronavirus cases reignite SARS fears - the epidemic mess foretold

You can’t see the video?

Here’s a screen grab.

1 Like

No, I can see it, that’s not the problem.
But what’s the virus? What’s regular cells? What’s just dirt? :idunno:

5 Likes

55 min ago

BREAKING: South Korea just reported another 87 new cases. That makes 229 in 24 hours

The statement added that among the 87 new cases, 62 are linked with the Shincheonji religious group, and three cases are linked with Cheongdo Daenam hospital, in North Gyeongsang province.

1 Like

New! Terrifying?

“A 70-year-old man in China’s Hubei Province was infected with coronavirus but did not show symptoms until 27 days later, the local government said on Saturday, meaning the virus’ incubation period could be much longer than the presumed 14 days.”

2 Likes

Well, that’s sad and scary.

1 Like

You have to go to the original tweet and follow the person who posted the video and read the questions and responses below in order to determine the veracity of the post.

The Twitter account for ASPIRINE is @healthvirologue

I can’t vouch for the validity of the post and subsequent video because I’m not a doctor, but according to the Twitter postings, the Covid-19 is the part that’s moving around and infecting blood cells on the microscopic slide in the video.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1230978549810638849

Another video from Dr. Hansen and his prediction as to whether this will turn into a global pandemic.

1 Like

No idea what you’re quoting, but no, not terrifying. It’s not clear from the quote what “was infected with coronavirus” refers to - is the infection date in this case known, or just assumed? Two possibilities:

(i) 27 days is the actual amount of time that passed between infection and the emergence of symptoms in this specific case. Nonetheless, it’s an outlier. There will always be outliers with a sufficiently large population size. These aren’t the norm and shouldn’t be a major cause of concern. The typical incubation period is still 3-7 days for >90% of cases or whatever it is (rough values, can’t be bothered tracking down the actual numbers again now).

(ii) 27 days is wrong and they just haven’t correctly determined the actual date the guy was infected. I presume the quote relates to some known date of contact with an infected person, but who knows who/what he came into contact with after that, especially in Hubei. The reliability of this value seems to depend on the memory/truthfulness of a 70-year-old man and the analytical skills/truthfulness of a few Chinese local government workers, so I wouldn’t take this isolated report as proof of anything.

I’d favor option (ii) but, either way, it’s not terrifying.

Things are looking bad for Iran

15 min ago

Iran confirms 10 more coronavirus cases

From CNN’s Sara Mazloumsaki

The novel coronavirus continues to spread in the Middle East with 10 new cases in Iran, state news agency IRNA said Saturday, citing the the country’s health ministry.

Eight of the cases are from the city of Qom and two from the capital Tehran.

That brings the total to 28 cases with five deaths.

1 min ago

Italy has its second coronavirus related death

From CNN’s Martin Goillandeau in London and Livia Borghese in Rome

A woman who tested positive for the novel coronavirus has died in Italy, a spokesperson for the Protezione Civile (Department of Civil Protection) told CNN Saturday, marking the second death related to the virus in the country.

The woman died in the northern region of Lombardy, according to a health ministry spokesman.

A press conference about the situation will be held at 6.30 a.m. ET.

28… sure, and I’m the Pope.

1 Like

Can I get a blessing, Your Holiness?

1 Like

Sure. This sign of the cross and sprinkle of tap water will keep you safe from those nasty corona germs and predator priests. Something something Latin, my son.

2 Likes

Gratias tibi! :grin:

1 Like

Time to start looking at areas with higher than normal antipyretics sales!

1 Like

Shit. Things in Iran are getting pretty bad pretty quickly.

Crazy how fast it blew up in Korea when it seemed like it was finally starting to calm down…

2 Likes

Shocked by the number of Yankee flags, I guess they also like Trump? (Does Trump not like the Korean leader?? Trump seems very close to Abe (Japan’s leader).

Maybe the high number of death is because of lack of health care resources? I don’t know much details about the cases in Iran

It’s almost definitely just delayed reporting on the part of government. They already exported to UAE, Canada and Lebanon. Very low likelihood of that happening with just 28 domestic cases.

2 Likes