Novel: Stranger in Taiwan

Legally, no. That would be the teacher’s lookout because the materials are ‘paid for’ as part of the class fee, it could be argued. Not a lot he could do. If the student changed or interpreted the materials, then they are co-authors. He could still assert his right to be credited as the author, if he had the time and money to pursue it, but it’s unlikely that he would recoup anything.

However I’m writing from the perspective of major publishers (where I am a miniscule fleck of a desk jockey…)where the situation just would not arise.

Taiwan? No idea.

Thanks.

Anyway, this is twilight zone stuff surely.

I just got wondering about how this stuff works. Hartley might be even more interested by the looks of it. His book might even be quite good. I looked at it and got bored the moment I realized it was about an English teacher. Of course not everyone would react that way.

Anyway, sorry for dragging this off topic.

There are some great books with English teachers in 'em.

Find Cara Massimina by Tim Parks. (Published in 'Merica as ‘Juggling the Stars’; you sometimes see that in Taiwan).

OK, but honestly I can’t imagine enjoying anything with a language teacher in it. It just feels “done”.

That’s it for tonight. Night kiddo.

Zender wondered: [quote]If I understood what I read, this is NOT set in Taiwan.[/quote]

Well, the first chapter is not, but the hero of the story has the hots for a Taiwanese student. I’m guessing he will follow her back to the Rock. And that is interesting because of all the foreigner-Taiwaner relationships, the least likely to succeed is the chap following a girl back here.

Well, yes, to some extent. Mangled English is funny, as are stereotypes, but such treatment should not be too harsh. With our protagonist looking like a bit of a loser, that allows the author to make fun of the non-native English speakers without it being condescending.

Rowr! (bob)

[/quote]Well, yes, to some extend. Mangled English is funny, as are stereotypes, but such treatment should not be too harsh. With our protagonist looking like a bit of a loser, that allows the author to make of the non-native English speakers without being seen as condescending.[/quote]

That was my thought too. While not the world’s most original idea, it comes across as quite sweet (not in a bad way) and vulnerable. Many could write that story, but it would come out as racist or nasty, or just very cliched and boring; EFL teachers are not known for their humility. I think it avoids a lot of the cliches that fly around Brit staffrooms…

It also explores the contradictions of teaching mixed groups of nationalities; you start teaching because you think it will be great to meet all these people, but you realise it really isn’t and they becaome ‘customers’, just like in every job.

I’m comparing it with Tim Parks’ description of his despised Italian students. Another very perceptive EFL teacher turned to writing; he totally conveys the bitter, lost, broke expat thing.

Wonder why EFL teachers write so much? Actually, don’t tell me; i’m not sure my pride can deal with the answer…

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]
I like how you structured the chapter to be really boring at the beginning, ordinarily boring in the middle and then slightly titillating at the end with the flat-chested bit and then it ends, leaving the reader slightly disappointed and still waiting for the sex. If you do that with every chapter, people will come back for more.
.[/quote]

Feel free, while reading, to randomly insert the phrase ‘sporting an enormous erection’ at various junctures. This works wonders for the titillation factor, especially near the end where it suggests that poor old Andy has fallen for a pair of he-she’s.

It also makes a slightly more three-dimensional character of the Brazilian student.

Something about an Asian girl and an English teacher…closed it after those two appeared in the first 3 paragraphs. Jeez Taiwan is boring sometimes.

[quote=“Hartley”]Feel free, while reading, to randomly insert the phrase ‘sporting an enormous erection’ at various junctures. This works wonders for the titillation factor, especially near the end where it suggests that poor old Andy has fallen for a pair of he-she’s.
[/quote]

So my new and improved first chapeter might begin . . .

“I had i . . .enormous erection down now: She was sporting an enormous erection . . .”

Yeah, that works for me!

chapter chapter chapter

xiaojie xiaojie xiaojie

Chapter 2 is now online at the same address:

stranger-in-taiwan.blogspot.com/

There’s even a nearly sex scene between me and a chicken magnate, so hope that helps.

Sex with a chick magnet?

He’s talking about Broon Ale I think. In any case, its a bit of a stretch by anybody’s standards. Except Stray Dog’s, of course.

Chapter 1 was promising and then you had to go and move him to Taiwan. Personally I want escapism not to read about the gory details of living here. Unless you’re capable of writing about the dark seedy underbelly of teaching in Taiwan like Will Self is about journalist in London, please move him somewhere else.

Shit! I just got a joke that I read in a book! Years later, but…

Never mind, carry on.

If you enjoyed the writing style in Chapter One, it gets better. If you didn’t, it possibly gets worse. It’s my unique take on things, rather than a ghastly retread of everything you’ve ever heard / seen / done in Taiwan.

Will Self is a genius, but I do my best.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Shit! I just got a joke that I read in a book! Years later, but…

Never mind, carry on.[/quote]

Was the punchline, “Rectum?! Hell, it killed 'em!”?

If you enjoyed the writing style in Chapter One, it gets better. If you didn’t, it possibly gets worse. It’s my unique take on things, rather than a ghastly retread of everything you’ve ever heard / seen / done in Taiwan.

Will Self is a genius, but I do my best.[/quote]

I enjoyed chapter 1 once i got into it, but in chapter 2 i got distracted by the “oh i’ve arrived and got food poisoning schtik” . Oh well maybe you should have had the 2 main characters doing it in the ambulance to keep my interest :wink:

I enjoyed that. Nice one.

I’m like the pedo in the park.

I mean, . . . I like the LINE about the pedo in the park.

But no PSYCHOXIAOJIE action yet? How many free chapters must I READ?

I must say that I do agree with StuartCa on the need for escapism and dark seedy underbelly exploration. Perhaps the third chapter could be set in a brothel in Deepest Darkest or even the hills of PNG.