Novel: Stranger in Taiwan

‘Escapism’ is different things to different people, I spose.

Hey, YOU already escaped, Bcup.

He needs to get the REST of us poor souls outta here.

I was never in bondage, Bender.

I don’t need escapism, as I generally do what ever I feel like doing, within the obvious boundaries of having to earn a living and not wanting to get caught.

Not a bad chapter. However, I must disagree with the comparison of arriving at Singapore with arriving in Taipei. Singapore is cleaner, more civilised and less stinkier, thanks to the benefit of a British colonial heritage.

Other than that, the cliches were nicely twisted, the metaphors well mixed and some of the jokes contained a modicum of humour. Good improvement on the first chapter.

The knowing wink of the chicken magnate made me feel a little queasy, which was slightly titillating in a sick way and I liked the butt jokes as well.

The biggest challenge for the author now will be maintaining the plot build up with slowly accelerating strokes of the pen and deeper penetration of the characters without letting the tension climax too early, causing a premature ejaculation of reader interest.

You can’t possibly be British?

You can’t possibly be British?[/quote]

No, I’m not. However, an outpost of Europe tamed an outpost of pirates in the Wild East, and I admire that. They did it with Hong Kong too - that’s why it’s so civilised and neat.

I might not be British, but my grandparents spent time in Brittany during the war and the Brittani were once fierce warriors of western Europe. Most Englanders have forgotten that kind of stuff now and have become boring hobbit-like creatures. Tolkien was British and that’s good enough for me.

Rule Brittania!

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]I might not be British, but my grandparents spent time in Brittany during the war and the Brittani were once fierce warriors of western Europe. Most Englanders have forgotten that kind of stuff now and have become boring hobbit-like creatures. Tolkien was British and that’s good enough for me.

Rule Brittania![/quote]

So… you’re American and your grandparents went to France 60-70 years ago? The Anglish are Germanic, but the Bretons were Celts. Nothing wrong with showing up and killing/interbreeding a little, though.

I always find it humourous that non Brits assume that dirty, uncivilised smelly Britain was a civilising force on the unwashed colonial masses.

Never read any of Tolkein’s fiction, but the films were the most boring rubbish I’d seen in a long time.

But you take us off topic, sir.

That was an enjoyable read, Hartley. I’ll look forward to reading more.

If you got it tidied up by a good professional editor, I don’t see why it shouldn’t be sellable.

and you are Taiwanese, I see.

Yes I am!

I knew it by your assumption based on the fact that I’m not British but can actually speak Amerikan. That really gave it away.

Bravo! :bravo: I want one!

The heat in Taipei in summer is similar to that of Singapore. I’d agree with that comparison.

Hartley: Keep it coming; I’ll read more.

The heat in Taipei in summer is similar to that of Singapore. I’d agree with that comparison.

[/quote]

I was just being facetious and using it as an excuse to bait the Anglish. And it worked. I got a buttercup! The heat is the same but I found the comparison incongruous. Singapore is so clean and tidy. I guess for the Engrish :bow: , the heat overwhelms everything else. My first impression was the stinky air. I don’t notice it now unless I pass the fetid drain beside the stinky tofu stand where the waste water goes and then is recycled into the next batch of stinky tofu.

But it wasn’t funny or clever. I was just a bit confused. Hint; you can’t ‘bait’ people when nobody taking part in the discussion has any emotional involvement in it.

For example, if you throw a squid at someone in the street and say ‘Haha! Got you!’ Do you think the reply will be; ‘Ah yes! You did! Most amusing!’? No. The reply will be ‘Huh?’

The novel is now on the cusp of being finished. There is a stand-alone story which may eventually go into another book at:

stranger-in-taiwan.blogspot.com/