NWOHR passport holder- TARC eligibility

Due to the pandemic, I can only make inquiries through calls but with my basic/intermediate mandarin, sometimes it gets lost in translation. I was told by TECO that the only way I’m eligible for national ID is if I invest 10M in Taiwan. Has anyone tried this route and what are the options for investments? I don’t seem to get much info on this and I have spent enough long distance calls. Seeking your valuable help.

Here is my background:

1. I was born in Philippines, currently holds Philippine citizenship.
  2. Father was a naturalized Taiwanese 5 years after I was born.
  3. I was given a NWOHR passport since I was a minor till current 39 years of age, single.
  4. Father has died in Philippines. Father was sick for 8 years prior to his death and he didn’t get to return to Taiwan during this period. His household registration became inactive (is there such a thing?). Mother who is non-Taiwanese has died too.
  5. I have no direct lineal relatives living in Taiwan.

My questions are:

1. Is investment the only path for me?
  2. If investment is the only path, can I choose in invest in bonds? With the intention to live only for a year, am I allowed to pull out right after getting the national ID?
  3. In my application for TARC, should I follow the city where my father used to hold household registration (Tainan)? I’m inclined to stay nearer to Taipei.
  4. If successfully applied for TARC, am I allowed to work during this time?
  5. If successfully received National ID, are there restrictions to only stay in Taiwan for x number of days? How do I maintain household registration active status (is there such a thing?)
  6. If successfully received National ID, my plan is to go back to Philippines. And should I have kids in the future, will they be eligible for NWOHR or can be automatically added to my household registration?

Thank you so much. Your inputs will be very much appreciated.

the conditions NWOIHRs can get TARC are listed here.

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141465/141808/141954/

The relative routes via your father cannot be used, but other routes can be possible, including a relative route via a Taiwanese spouse, iiuc.

iiuc, you can choose where you want to live.

iiuc, you need to get a work permit.

no. But if you leave Taiwan for more than 2 years, your HHR are deactivated. You should activate it again, when you return to Taiwan again.

They are eligible for NWOHR. To be added to your HHR, you should register there births, and they should enter Taiwan on their Taiwanese passport.

thank you @tando, i have seen your detailed replies in other posts and they are very informative.
i do not have a spouse.

as for the investment route, are you aware of anyone who has successfully applied using this path? where did they invest in?

Also, would you also share your thoughts on the following? thank you very much!

1. In my application for TARC, should I follow the city where my father used to hold household registration (Tainan)? I’m inclined to stay nearer to Taipei.
  2. If successfully applied for TARC, am I allowed to work during this time?
  3. If successfully received National ID, are there restrictions to only stay in Taiwan for x number of days? How do I maintain household registration active status (is there such a thing?)
  4. If successfully received National ID, my plan is to go back to Philippines. And should I have kids in the future, will they be eligible for NWOHR or can be automatically added to my household registration?

I was editing my post while you pisted. Please see my previous post.

I’ve heard you cannot incest in bonds, but I’m not sure. I don’t know anyone who did the route.

thank you for the very helpful replies. I wish there is someone who have gone through the investment route and share their experience.

about this: But if you leave Taiwan for more than 2 years, your HHR are deactivated. You should activate it again, when you return to Taiwan again.
may i ask if activating is just showing up in person with no residency requirements? are there any cons in the time it is deactivated? will it be ground for losing national ID? thank you!

Very informative topic, thank you @tando and @purplehome for opening this up

just want to make sure. Your father and you did naturalization, and renounced his and your original nationality once, then you reapplied for your Philippine citizenship, is this right?

@tando yes my father renounced his original nationality in the 80’s.
when i was a minor, i only had NWOHR passport, and used that to travel abroad (when countries still allow back then and did not distinguish Taiwan passports with HHR and non-HHR). I later applied for Philippines passport in late 2000’s when Philippine law was amended to allow dual citizenship.

Is this applied to you?

Notices for the submission of national without registered permanent address who has acquired naturalized to the Republic of China for applying residence in Taiwan Area

Thank you for sending the link… I’m from Philippines and I didn’t study nor live in Taiwan. Maybe not.

Hi @purplehome sorry for the late response do you have any other platform we can talk or chat with our native language?

Do you know you can send PM to any poster. You click @purplehome, then something will pop up, then you click message. You can write in any language.

Or, it may be ok in this thread too.

thanks @tando! figured out how to send a PM. :slight_smile: