Oatly oat drink - any decent substitutes available?

Oatly oat drink steams up very nicely as a milk substitute for espresso milk drinks. But at the whopping price tag of 180 odd NTD off shopee per litre I am looking for a substitute. Curious if any of the non-dairy milk crowd here has found something cheaper? Does anyone know what brand of oat milk Louisa use? That one is perfectly fine for me.

Side whinge, I get customs take their piece out of everything imported, but this product sells for 90NTD in supermarkets in my home country, presumably with a nice fat profit margin baked in. If you walk into Carrefour it is > 200 NTD per litre.

2 Likes

Got a Vitamix or another good blender? If so,.easy enough to make…

The brand I mentioned is specifically crafted to steam up well for coffees. You need a certain ratio of fat/protein. It is kind of a very neutral taste, not like oat drink that you would blend up yourself. I know because I have bought the local 義美 version which is essentially a Vitamix blend of water and oats.

Thanks anyway.

I’m pretty sure regular oatly is just water, oats, some added stabilizers and emulsifiers, and added vitamins. Is there some specialty oatly coffee sub brand of oatley? If not, add a little oil to up the fat content if that’s what you need.

How an oat make milk if it don’t got tiddies? :thinking:

Got a suggested recipe?

3 Likes

Oats in blender with cold water, 1:4. Add a smidge of oil if desired. Blend for 30 seconds. Gravity strain with a thick filter medium.

If you want to get fancy, get some amylase and let it work on the oats before blending.

3 Likes

Have you tried this recipe in coffee? It’d probably split. They add calcium carbonate to stop that.

Thanks for trying.

Would be happy to hear from any coffee drinkers who have found an alternative brand that is cheaper.

Yep. There’s an easy trick that somewhat mostly works for that - add your milk to the cup first, pour in a little coffee, give it a little swish, then pour in the rest. Works with soy milk too. And try a pinch of salt in the mix.

Or go ahead and try adding a little calcium carbonate… not hard to get.

2 Likes

I brought some Tums back from america…that should do the trick.

I just asked my wife, and apparently it’s a private deal where the company makes the milk exclusively for Louisa.

Here’s a Facebook link that apparently explains it; below I’ll include the Chinese text just for the heck of it (EDIT: um, based on Google Translate, I think the bit about it being a company consumers can’t buy from is buried somewhere in the responses).

Chinese text:

路易莎也有燕麥奶囉:star_struck::star_struck:!這次與燕麥奶第一品牌愛之味合作調配出路易莎專屬的燕麥奶黃金濃度:sparkles:為擴大體驗11.04~12.31同步推出所有加鮮奶(含冰奶泡)飲品,免費升級燕麥奶:milk_glass:!!

不同於一般燕麥奶的濃稠,路易莎專屬燕麥奶運用獨家專利水解燕麥技術,讓口感如鮮奶般滑順細緻,並調整口味降低穀物味,清甜麥香提升適口性,:white_check_mark:健康:white_check_mark:美味兼具,素食者、乳糖不耐症者皆:o:可食用喔!

備註:
(1) 本活動適用所有加鮮奶(含冰奶泡)飲品,小農系列、100%一番抹茶鮮奶/冰,100%一番特濃抹茶鮮奶/冰、100%一番抹茶咖啡拿鐵/冰、大臣賞冠軍茶匠焙茶鮮奶/冰、卡布奇諾/冰 除外。
(2) 為推廣燕麥奶享其他優惠後仍可免費升級。
(3) 素食者、乳糖不耐症者可食用。
(4) 過敏原:含麩質之穀物(燕麥)。
(5) 燕麥奶生產線亦生產含花生、牛奶、大豆及其製品。
(6) 不適用外送及網路訂餐服務。
(7) 刊載之商品僅供參考,商品以實品為準。

1 Like

My wife suggests this one for using with coffee. I’m not sure how she knows this, because as far as I can tell we’ve always got Oatly in the apartment that she pays for (sotto voce: I’m pretty sure it’s often me who pays).

I suspect it’s like a lot of Taiwan shopping these days. There’s stuff out there, but you need to be comfortable buying online from Chinese-language websites - but I’m personally not at that stage yet.

EDIT: And more (oh dear, I should know better than to ask the spouse about shopping - I’d better find something else to distract her with!): six Oatly bottles for $799. Not exactly what you’re asking about, but at least it’s a savings. (Oh no, now she’s just bought this!)

2 Likes

Wow, you’re good. That’s the best price I’ve seen.

1 Like

Oh, I have absolutely no idea. Entirely due to my wife! (But I’ll pass it on to her.)

EDIT: I’m now supposed to report that, if you log in to LINE and somehow buy it that way, you can save an additional $50. Also, the (theoretical) expiration date is in August, which is why it’s cheaper.

EDIT 2: She also says thanks, because without this prompt, she wouldn’t have been inspired to start shopping.

3 Likes

Or so you think. Oat milk is easy, but having an oat milk that steams well and tastes pretty neutral is not that easy.

1 Like

They use the ‘best by date’.

Carrefour had some cheaper brands. But the one for steaming is specially adapted and is not just oat. Many companies came up recently with oat milk and ‘barista’ oat milk.

Oatly was exclusively imported by President Chain Stores for Starbucks and 7-11.

I know. It’s basically the product of a laboratory. It can’t be replicated at home, and even if it could I wouldn’t be bothered.

LIA’s price can’t be beat, I’ll get through these before August.

Some are better than others, most are high priced.

Costco has a pretty decent oat milk if you or someone you know has membership. I’ve switched to that from oatly cause it’s 600nt for 6 liters versus 1000nt on shopee/momo.

1 Like

Many people complain it doesn’t taste like milk. Well it isn’t milk.

3 Likes