Oatly oat drink - any decent substitutes available?

It’s come a long way. It used to impart a strong oaty taste. Now it’s closer to milk than processed soy milk.

1 Like

LinePay specifically, or Line Shopping alone might work. Also, LinePay gives 2% back as of now for pickup.com.tw. Pickup. They also sell in smaller quantities, but more per piece.

1 Like

Is it Kirklands, or do you know the name?

Just confirming, do you steam it to have with coffee?

Yes, just good ol Kirkland signature.

I’m just finishing my last oatly box so I haven’t steamed it myself. However when I was visiting the states recently I had an oat milk latte and it was quite good. Steamed up nice. I asked what they used and it was Kirkland signature, same one you can buy here.

1 Like

It’s Kirkland and it’s “oat drink” or maybe “oat beverage”. If you type “oat milk” into the search bar, you won’t get any results.

1 Like

Have you purchased it here in Taiwan? I can’t find it on their Taiwan site, searched “oat milk/drink/beverage” and in Mandarin.

Also can’t find the usual resellers of Kirkland stuff carrying it on shopee.

Currently out of stock

3 Likes

Thanks. This may be the item that tips me over the edge and makes me get a Costco membership.

3 Likes

Not sure if they are selling it country-wide but here in Taichung we have this at practically all Family Marts (and some 7/11) :

About 40 NTD and pretty good. Don’t know how it compares to Oatly.
I have seen large cartons at a Simple Mart selling at 58 NTD i believe.

Oat ‘milk’ in Taiwan has been sold many years, but it’s more like oat(flakes) in milk.

This is an interesting read about sugars in oat milk.

2 Likes

Or it’s oatmeal that was processed in a blender

Just out of curiosity, why are so many people drinking oat milk? I always thought it was a fairly niche thing. Am I missing something?

No cholesterol

1 Like

In Taiwan, I get the impression people drink it because it’s so damn expensive. One more luxury item box to tick. In the US, people have been seeking out dairy alternatives (cows milk is gross + lactose intolerance) for ages. Problem is, in the US a gallon of milk might cost US$3 and your oat/pea/hemp/almond/cashew “milk” might be US$4.50. It’s not an unreasonable price difference. Here, one liter of the “alternative milk” (~a quarter of a gallon for those who don’t want to do conversions) is often over US$7, sometimes as much as US$9.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, that makes sense. My cholesterol was pretty good last time I checked (no idea why… :whistle:).

I’m reluctant to pay what they charge here for regular milk tbh, let alone that much for something that’s never seen a cow.

Though I can live without milk as well - I don’t think I drank it for several years when I lived in China and Thailand (out of fear and stinginess, respectively).

2 Likes

Is that the Unipresident logo I see on those cartons? If so you know 80c in the dollar is spent on marketing and shelf placement. I already tried the yi mei local “water and oats in blender” version, it was too oaty. Yi mei is the bellwether local product.

Thanks anyway…

With products this price, it just goes to tell you the massive hidden wealth here. Taiwan incomes are grossly under reported.

The other thing is I smell a damned racket going on with this, like every other second imported ‘Westerner’ product. In my opinion, customs appear to be colluding with one party to restrict the importing and keep the cost high. They hold the keys, there’s a lot of value to extract. There is no other explanation for why there is almost a 100% markup when it hits the shelves. Remember the sellers on sites like shopee bring the retail margins down to close to zero. So the inefficiency is driven from elsewhere.

1 Like

Honestly doesn’t taste like oat(flakes) in milk or ‘water and oats in blender’, I’d like it to be sugar-free though. Have you tried this particular oat milk? Maybe try it and then you can still dislike it.