Obama's Victory

[quote=“Jack Burton”]2. Best voter turnout in nearly a century:

[quote]America voted in record numbers, standing in lines that snaked around blocks and in some places in pouring rain. Voters who queued up Tuesday and the millions who balloted early propelled 2008 to what one expert said was the highest turnout in a century.

It looks like 136.6 million Americans will have voted for president this election, based on 88 percent of the country’s precincts tallied and projections for absentee ballots, said Michael McDonald of George Mason University. Using his methods, that would give 2008
a 64.1 percent turnout rate

“That would be the highest turnout rate that we’ve seen
since 1908
,” which was 65.7 percent, [/quote]

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081105/ap_ … _turnout_4[/quote]

:roflmao:

It’s going to be interesting to see how Americans adjust to having a Negro for a president. Many clearly just aren’t going to cope. Some are even in complete denial:

[quote=“Free Republic”]Sadly, he is not even Black…

Posted on 2008年11月5日 下午 04:46:47 by Dem4Mac

Today history was made…or so many have been told to believe…and he isn’t even all black…I am not being racist, or if I am, I don’t care anymore. Nevertheless, it’s the truth. History will only be made when a REAL African American is elected to the WH and not one who is only half black (or some can argue, Arab)…[/quote]

Alas the comments show he isn’t alone:

[quote]To: Dem4Mac

True. He is from Kenya. He has no American slave roots.[/quote]

You are right, why don’t they say, “the first half white President elect” (Bubba??): good point really or even “the first president-elect with Arabic ancestry” which I believe is so as well.[/quote]

I’m white and I feel no racial affinity with mulattoes, I wonder why blacks do.[/quote]

These people are massively invading this world of the internet.[/quote]

I think it would have been much more honest to list him as the first racially diverse President. He is definitely not black. I’m not exactly sure he half black? I believe he is half white. Nothing we can do about it now. . .[/quote]

[quote]To: bushfamfan

That’s what they’ve wanted for many years…to take America down…[/quote]

[quote]To: Dem4Mac; All

Show me one country on this planet run by a black that is well-run…just one.[/quote]

[quote=“Fortigurn”]

[quote=“Free Republic”]
Today history was made…or so many have been told to believe…and he isn’t even
all black
…[/quote][/quote]

Unlike his vanquished opponent:

Gold!

What the fuck are you trying to say fortigun?

Obama’s not black? How do you define black? What difference does it make whether he’s black or not? Why did you suddenly feel a need to start a discussion out of the blue concerning whether he’s black or not? Are you saying he’s not qualified to be president if he’s not black? I honestly have no idea what point you’re trying to make.

If your point is only that there are racist bastards in America who are displeased with the result, that should be obvious. There are idiots in every country.

As for your comment about americans not caring because only 61% voted, at least voting’s not compulsory in our country. I understand in your country (Australia) people are so damned apathetic that voting’s required by law, and has been for many decades. That’s pathetic if you ask me. At least we have freedom in the US to vote or not. But, if you form a nation with a bunch of criminals I guess you have to work with what you’ve got.

Trying to even suggest that race is NOT a factor in ANY US Presidential Election is odious in the extreme.

In the first part of my post I was saying that it’s pretty funny that only 61% of Americans voted. In the second part of my post I wondered how Americans will cope with a Negro president. It’s clear that many just won’t.

He’s black as far as I’m concerned.

None to me, but a lot of difference to many Americans apparently (both Republicans and Democrats). It influenced many to vote for Obama, and it influenced many to vote against Obama. It was clearly a significant feature of the entire campaign.

I know Americans who voted for Obama because he is black. They felt a moral obligation to do so. But their vote would have gone to a black woman over Obama, and a single mother black woman over a married black woman, and a disabled single mother black woman over a single mother black woman, and a lesbian disabled single mother black woman over a disabled single mother black woman, and I’m not sure how you could improve on that last candidate unless you found an atheist vegan lesbian disabled single mother black/Amerindian/Asian/Hispanic woman dying of AIDS who practices Wicca and saves whales.

It wasn’t entirely out of the blue, this has been a recurring theme in discussions of the election.

No. Frankly I’ve never seen anyone qualified to be president, and I honestly don’t know if anyone ever could be. It’s a right mess of a job.

Hopefully that’s clear now.

No that wasn’t my point (though it’s true of course).

Hmmm, not sure why you mentioned this as if it’s a bad thing. Which is worse, a voter turnout of only 61% or compulsory voting?

It would be pathetic if Australians were too apathetic to vote unless compelled by law. But there’s no evidence for this (and yes I am aware of the historical context of the law’s origin, but we’re talking about the present).

We do in Australia also. I’ve never voted in my life in Australia, at local, state, or federal level. I exercised my freedom of conscience.

I don’t know why people keep throwing this at Australians as if it’s some kind of insult. It’s our national pride. Better to start with a group of criminals than a group of religious fanatics.

TheGingerMan, well said.

Of course race is a huge factor. Mere coincidence the huge correlation between the states voting for McCain and the former slave states? I think not. But I still have no idea what fortigurn was trying to say.

EDIT: Ok, thanks for hte response. If you’re suggesting Obama was elected largely because he’s black I strongly disagree. If anything it was in spite of the fact that he’s black.

Well hopefully that’s a little more clear now. MT, are you an American? How do you feel about a Negro being president?

Doesn’t bother me at all. I voted for him. I would’ve voted for him if he was white. I like him, believe he’s very bright and competent and clearly the better candidate.

But I can’t say his race doesn’t make any difference, because I admit in addition to him being the best candidate I admit that I’m proud of the huge progress our nation has made in overcoming racism. When Obama was born he couldn’t eat in many restaurants, sleep in many hotels, would’ve been forced to the back of the bus and to separate drinking fountains, etc. Now he’s president. I think that’s fantastic. A sign of how our nation has grown. I also believe he’ll be a terrific role model for so many african americans who need more good black role models, and I think that’s a great thing. Perhaps he can help inspire more young black american males to stay in school, stay away from crime and out of jail, and strive for greatness. It’s not racist for me to say that; it’s a fact that too many young black men in hte US are having troubles and I’m hopeful this may help to inspire some of them. That’s not at all why I voted for him. It’s merely incidental, but I believe those are good things.

So, I would’ve voted for him anyway, I did not vote for him because he’s black, but I am pleased that the man most qualified to serve as president this time, and the man the people overwhelmingly selected, just happened to be black. Many other issues are far, far more important of course, but in some ways that incidental fact is a positive thing.

Doesn’t bother me at all. I would’ve voted for him if he was white. I like him, believe he’s very bright and competent and clearly the better candidate.[/quote]

Thanks, that answers my question comprehensively.

I agree with all of this. In contrast, I believe the opportunity for, and likelihood of, an Aboriginal Prime Minister in Australia is approximately equivalent to zero.

Yes, well said.

On the race thing, CNN showed some stats that said the % vote for Obama amongst those who said race was a factor was about the same as in those that said race wasn’t a factor.

However, the % for Obama was much greater amongst those who said age was a factor, than those that said it wasn’t.

This lead them to suggest that age was much more important than race in this election.

Ageist Bastards!!!

Hillary should have been the Democratic nominee!!! Obama is an empty suit. A celebrity famous - as befits the age - for nothing. Still, I hope he does well.

As for McCain, he was a little past his use-by date. I think he was lucky to have lost the election; he can spend his last years with his wife and kids.

Has anyone heard from Tainan Cowboy? I was in contact with him a few hours ago and he sounded pretty wasted - he said something about a birth certificate, a sniper’s rifle, and a bottle of whiskey.

P.S. I loathe Canadians.

I admit to an accidental role in a liberal circle jerk today. I regret that it might have cost the real Fred Smith his job, although a little part of me does sort of think that would be the real cherry on top.

There was an exchane of emails among a long ago vast mailout and alas someone, not me, became a little too excited and the next thing I get an email from the real Frot pleading to be immediately removed from the chain. I then noticed it was his work email account and, well, let’s just say the inbox net nanny would have had a field day.

At this juncture, I’d like to point out that although I may have contributed some nose rubbing graphics, none of these were aimed at offending any corporate institution, culture or person, except Fred. :laughing:

HG

What gave it away, the thick layer of mold and dust?

McCain lacked judgement. He opted for the proven, has to be said, Rovian contempt for the electorate and tried to sell them a bunch of blatant lies. To his credit, McCain woke up at the end and delivered a truly statesman like handover to Obama.

What is really tragic is that on the TV clips I;ve seen since, and these will be played ad nauseum for the rest of our lives, they’d removed the bits where his fans booed Obama. Unfortunately these were some of the best moments of his speech. Alas where he was most generous with Obama’s name and praise, his fans were most obnoxious in their boofest. What an awful thing to steal from such a distinguished record of service.

HG

Agreed. But that’s too little, too late. The way he ran his campaign has permanently marred his credibility, IMO.

And don’t forget the ‘Kill him!’ cries during Palin rallies. If the Republicans let those types and the nutso right-wing (anti)‘Christian’ sickos form their own splinter party, the GOP would regain a lot of legitimacy.

What point are you trying to make by continually using Negro?

[quote=“Fortigurn”]
I agree with all of this. In contrast, I believe the opportunity for, and likelihood of, an Aboriginal Prime Minister in Australia is approximately equivalent to zero.[/quote]

That’s cuz your country sucks ass. People may love or hate the US, but at least it’s one of the best countries in the world. It came up with some of the best things in human history.

Whereas what has Australia actually done?

[quote=“Jack Burton”][quote=“Fortigurn”]
I agree with all of this. In contrast, I believe the opportunity for, and likelihood of, an Aboriginal Prime Minister in Australia is approximately equivalent to zero.[/quote]

That’s cuz your country sucks ass. People may love or hate the US, but at least it’s one of the best countries in the world. It came up with some of the best things in human history.

Whereas what has Australia actually done?[/quote]

popcorn munching

Produced me? :laughing:

HG