Objectivity and bias in media

Media and conservative fringe working hand in glove to manufacture outrage for the easily led.

Charlie Sykes, a longtime conservative commentator and editor-at-large for the Bulwark, described coverage of critical race theory as a kind of “shark attack politics” relying on a limited set of local anecdotes to tantalize viewers.

“This resonates with an audience that doesn’t want to confront racism but also thinks that the left is nuts,” Sykes said in an interview. “You only need a handful of extreme comments on Fox News to create this picture out there that this is widespread. We do live in an age where anecdotes will always trump data.”

Prominent conservatives, including Stephen K. Bannon, a former adviser to Donald Trump, have seized on critical race theory as a campaign weapon. Sykes argued that political motive is “very much linked” with widespread coverage of the theory in conservative media. “I do expect that this is going to be effective,” he added.

Critical race theory is the hottest topic on Fox News. And it’s only getting hotter.

2 Likes

interesting topic. seems to me that applications of critical theory to race and education is the kind of thing that one would need years of reading and high level academic knowledge of to have anything useful to contribute. otherwise it is just going to be a lot of ignorance and noise. someone should start a thread.

2 Likes

This Tucker Carlson thing is going too far.

Speaking of Carlson, he and Hannity are having a bit of a spat over Tuck dissing Sean to other reporters behind his back.

Hannity never actually mentioned Carlson by name, but it quickly became apparent who he was talking about.

“Now the big news is that some people at Fox apparently don’t like me, and said bad things about me gutlessly behind my back, according to Ben Smith.”

I don’t even know what you’re referring to. What thing?

The Alex Jones defence, he’s just erroneously suggesting it started with TC before RM was able to take advantage. Here’s an MSNBC article that brings up the Jones defence, which is possibly ironic because now RM at MSNBC is apparently just assumed to do this.

Ah, so the whole none of them are news thing? duh

They could be the same dude with heavier makeup on TC.

not even that much makeup
hqdefault

1 Like

Not getting the Bill Hicks reference. :thinking:

Hats off to you for knowing who that is. Here is your answer:

3 Likes

I had no idea. :open_mouth:

1 Like

I thought everyone knew that :slight_smile:

1 Like

only the older, smarter, more interesting posters :wink:

1 Like

Of course you don’t.

I remember hearing about the Trump supporters killing themselves with his health advice quite a bit. I didn’t hear the real story until a couple of weeks ago:

Take it or leave it. I don’t even have cable tv. Any TC viewing and news I suffer about him is coming primarily from this site. And really who cares? Why are people getting pissy about Salaried opinionator talking heads? Everyone wannabe Rush.

1 Like

What happened to Tucker Carlson? At the start of the pandemic he was quite sensible (on Covid). I guess Lachlan gave him the word to get with the program, that Fox was an all-covidiot-all -the-time network.

As opposed to the daily body count that just never went down on CNN.

The same network that screamed, “Trump wants you to swallow bleach!” every day, and had viewers dumb enough to believe it.

1 Like

And as seen on this site…they still do

1 Like

I see you don’t watch CNN. They’ve been celebrating the declining body count for months (of course they have- Joe Biden’s in power).

1 Like