Objectivity and bias in media

2 Likes

Interesting he brings up Bret Weinstien, the Lab leak theory and some drugs that discussion around them is being suppressed. Weinstein here (on the same subject) discusses something called the Asch experiment, basically a group of about a dozen or so test subjects all but one of which are in on the trick, then are asked some questions which should have obvious answers but they found when those in on the trick all gave a deliberate wrong answer, surprisingly frequently the true subject of the experiment would also give the wrong answer.

Very interesting.

1 Like

Ah, I assumed it was due to Trumps vaccines.

1 Like

Attkinson’s book Slanted is essentially saying the same thing but focuses more on print news.

Looks good!

The takeaway is trigger words. Unproven, baseless, etc. I read an article yesterday and was about to post it in this thread but turned out to be someone taking the piss. It had all the trigger words. Libs being used generously, like hot sauce on cantaloupe.

First Tucker Carlson, then Maddow- if they say it, the network should either publicly reprimand them or stand behind it and take the consequences.

1 Like

Don’t you think the massive drop in ratings is connected?

This drop?

Boring news cycle deals blow to partisan media

In the months since former President Donald Trump left office, media companies’ readership numbers are plunging — and publishers that rely on partisan, ideological warfare have taken an especially big hit.

Why it matters: Outlets most dependent on controversy to stir up resentments have struggled to find a foothold in the Biden era, according to an Axios analysis of publishers’ readership and engagement trends.

By the numbers: Web traffic, social media engagement and app user sessions suggest that while the entire news industry is experiencing a slump, right-wing outlets are seeing some of the biggest plunges.

• A group of far-right outlets, including Newsmax and The Federalist, saw aggregate traffic drop 44% from February through May compared to the previous six months, according to Comscore data.
  • Lefty outlets including Mother Jones and Raw Story saw a 27% drop.
  • Mainstream publishers including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today and Reuters dropped 18%.

https://www.axios.com/partisan-media-biden-trump-26f54a8b-d4e2-4319-a185-bd5f55ac661f.html

or this

The trendline across cable news in recent months has been downward versus 2020, when a presidential election and a worsening Covid-19 pandemic gripped the country. By contrast, this past May saw the lifting of Covid restrictions and a gradual return to in person events. There’s also the simple matter of political fatigue, as Americans take a break from the whirlwind of the Donald Trump presidency.

In primetime, Fox News averaged 2.17 million viewers, down 37% from the same period a year earlier; MSNBC posted 1.49 million, down 22%; and CNN drew 913,000, down 45%. In the 25-54 demo, Fox News had 345,000, down 38%, followed by CNN with 218,000, down 53%, and MSNBC with 199,000, falling 32%

or this

Newsmax Viewership Is Down 56% Since January, Missing 6-Month Goal to ‘Overtake’ Fox News

Yes when the media doesn’t focus obsessively on an individual person for years on end, the “news” slows down.

So, bashing Trump made them all a buttload of money and now they sadz. Why aren’t their talking heads writing expose books on Biden? Oh wait? No one cares? Or because there are too many shitty details that the left would rather not bring back into the light about Biden the liar, the nepotist, the bully, the creep and my favorite, Biden the proliferator of Delaware shell companies to hide all sorts of dirty bloody overseas monies…for a slight fee mind you.

They won’t because Americans are fickle af, and in these days of off with her head, it doesn’t matter whose head it is.

1 Like

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2021/06/30/the_truth_vs_objectivity_in_american_journalism_today_146011.html

Stanford University communications professor emeritus Ted Glasser said recently, “Journalists need to be overt and candid advocates for social justice, and it’s hard to do that under the constraints of objectivity." In other words, the task of a journalist is to push the progressive narrative forward, truth and objectivity be damned.

Glasser isn’t alone. Recently, in a speech at Washington State University, “NBC Nightly News” anchor Lester Holt also questioned the value of objectivity. “I think it’s become clearer that fairness is overrated,” he said. “The idea that we should always give two sides equal weight and merit does not reflect the world we find ourselves in.”

Idk about this. In the day, when CNN was fresh faced, it used to have a Holocaust survivor and a Holocaust denier sharing the screen. It was ridiculous. It wasn’t promoting two sides of the story out of fairness. It was a ratings draw. It was Jerry Springer.

Which is what it is now. If you’re knowledgeable, you should be on TV. If you’re a just a loud mouth, no. ffs. We walk away from people like this in bars. Why waste time in my living room listening to an activist or an idiot hunk of jello who is riding high on mild celebrity with the fervent hope that he or she or they sticks to the wall sans nail.

2 Likes

You don’t see this kind of thing every day.

1 Like

Well worth the watch, thanks for the share. The only thing I might add is to note Glen Greenwald attributes the accumulation of power be it the FBI or CIA or DOJ, Wall St and the multi national companies and of course Big Tech with the Democrats and there are elements of that are true, big tech tends to lean left, but the true amalgamation of power which in reality included many so called moderate Republicans, was the entire DC system rejecting Donald Trump.

Or in other words, if someone on the left came in who was outside of their system, if anyone from the outside could make it through to be a Democrat nominee and then President, I suspect the DC system would have treated them much the same along with some so called moderate Democrats this time also laying in the boot when they got the chance.

2 Likes

Not exactly an unbiased article, but it provides a lot of detail on the Rittenhouse shootings.

WWII got a lot of coverage too.

Yeah…what? I don’t follow your non sequitur.

part 2

2 Likes

i didn’t get 5 minutes into the first one, this one i’m at 15 and still going

1 Like