Objectivity and bias in media

Where will you go?

I recommend the Taiwan Weather thread.

5 Likes

Haha…yeah, I was a tad ambiguous… I meant out of the political threads. The other threads are fine. :grinning:

2 Likes

Blue skies, nothin’ but blue skies
Smiling at me.

2 Likes

This is the key word. A vast majority of the people at the rally or whatever it was went home.

And those flex cuffs were making appearances all summer. No idea what that is about. Wrists or to secure doors. Either way, not good.

1 Like

The media used to derive its institutional power from this perception of separateness. Politicians feared investigation by the news media precisely because they knew audiences perceived them as neutral arbiters.

Now there are no major commercial outlets not firmly associated with one or the other political party. Criticism of Republicans is as baked into New York Times coverage as the lambasting of Democrats is at Fox, and politicians don’t fear them as much because they know their constituents do not consider rival media sources credible. Probably, they don’t even read them. Echo chambers have limited utility in changing minds.

Media companies need to get out of the audience-stroking business, and by extension the politics business. They’d then be more likely to be believed when making pronouncements about elections or masks or anything else, for that matter. Creating that kind of outlet also has a much better shot of restoring sanity to the country than the current strategy, which seems based on stamping out access to “wrong” information.

Better to improve education on media filtering, than try to corral media itself.

Outside of protecting against insurrections and threats to democracy, that is.

Here’s a fun one and good for the dolts of floblandia:

If you’re Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, for example, a question in July about mobs toppling statues in public spaces elicited not a denunciation but a koan: “People will do what they do.” Indeed, people will do what they do. Some people, for example, will break into the Capitol and occupy the Speaker’s office. But limiting oneself to the serene observation that this is what they do would constitute a grave failure to repudiate an offense against law, order, and democracy.

Nikole Hannah-Jones, who won a Pulitzer Prize for creating the New York Times ’s “1619 Project,” also expressed equanimity and even pride regarding last year’s unrest. “It would be an honor,” she said, if the burning police stations and looted stores came to be described as the “1619 Riots.” In any case, “Destroying property, which can be replaced, is not violence.” Hannah-Jones went on to explain, “Any reasonable person would say we shouldn’t be destroying other people’s property, but these are not reasonable times.” Reasonable people also say that mobs should not overrun the seat of government or be gratified if someone calls that assault the “1776 Riots.” But if declaring “these are not reasonable times” changes everything, then the loophole devours the rule, or even the idea of having rules.

When protesters surrounded a Seattle police station, forcing officers to evacuate it, and declared the adjacent area an “autonomous zone,” mayor Jenny Durkan was reassuring: “Don’t be so afraid of democracy.” Civic and political leaders in Philadelphia were equally non-judgmental about the shattered glass and boarded stores on their streets. “I don’t think we need to be parsing whether there needs to be looting,” said one city council member. Rioting was “understandable but regrettable,” Jesse Jackson said in June, a quasi-criticism no one would think to apply to the Capitol Hill mob.

In the wake of last week’s riot, formulations like these have become deeply embarrassing. What is to be done? One option would be for the people who put them forward, and their many political allies, to admit the obvious: since riots are bad—utterly, always, and everywhere—justifying them, or praising them with faint damns, is also colossally irresponsible. The people who set last summer’s fires, looted stores, or assaulted motorists and pedestrians should be condemned, and the people who made excuses for their behavior should be ashamed. Reader, you are borne through life with a sunnier view of human nature than I if you are dismayed that no such apologies or retractions have yet been offered.

3 Likes

Finally some good news!

4 Likes

Media companies need to get out of the audience-stroking business, and by extension the politics business. They’d then be more likely to be believed when making pronouncements about elections or masks or anything else, for that matter.

Read this, but I think he misses the point that people have come to want this kind of reporting. Anybody could go to AP or something and get the straight news if they wanted. If you make this new ideal channel, will anyone watch it?

#JeremyLeeQuinn#Capitol#MAGA#Antifa​ Independent journalist Jeremy Lee Quinn livestreamed the breach into the Capitol on January 6. He has been documenting social unrest across the country, including Black Lives Matter, Antifa , MAGA and Proud Boys events, along with the activities of various militia groups. In this interview he discusses who he met there, the various ideological reasons they came, and how mainstream news got a lot of it wrong.

3 Likes

Oh? I’ll have give it another try. They seem to mimic the other afaict. :idunno:

I struggle to believe that you see really Fox, AP, and Vox as all mimicking each other…

A bit long (which itself seems to be part of the point), but good. Of course, it is nice to hear someone give a perspective consistent with my own!

1 Like

Are those the only news sources? The fact that news sites are using other news sites’ news as their news is what I’m talking about. I do not think Fox and Vox are in any kind of cahoots.

Yes

Sorry, typo…are those YOUR only sources?

I read dozens of articles from different sources each week and see dozens more that all same plug the same line. I ignore most of them. Your opinion about another persona opinion is not news.

No, I:

But I see differences between, for example, the National Post and the Hill and the Guardian. I don’t check Fox or Vox, and have removed both from Flipboard (which I find useful for getting a nice variety). I watch PBS Newshour, not every day and I wait for after the live show so I can skip through stories or guests I am not interested in.

will check it out.

1 Like

4 years coming up of giving the war mongers a pass. Like under war nutter Obama they will make out all is well and pristine…

3 Likes

Old news but leaving it here for future reference:

“Banning CCP from Twitter is dangerous”

(regarding dozens of accounts held by top CCP officials designed to spread propaganda to undermine American democracy and destabilize the United States)

Banning the President of United States from Twitter, “the right decision”.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-14/twitter-s-dorsey-says-banning-trump-was-right-decision

1 Like