Olympic Tank T-shirts - Non Order-related posts

This is the Beijing Olympic tank tee-shirt [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/slogan-for-beijing-olympics/20235/8 by Andre.[/url]

I can bring this in today to the t-shirt company I’m using for the Forumosa t-shirts. What colour should the shirt be - white? grey? black?

I’d prefer a T-Shirt saying “Slave” like those banners the thai protesters used to protest with :slight_smile:

Giving the fact that many T-Shirts here say odd things (see [Shocking Taiwanese T-shirts ) and nobody cares, I wonder what use your T-Shirt could actually serve (besides being a piece of clothing). Actually I wonder how many taiwanese even care about the olympics at all. :slight_smile:

I’m happy with it being a piece of clothing that only a few people ‘get’. And a lot of Taiwanese care about the Olympics… at least about figuring out how to make money from it.

I’m happy with it being a piece of clothing that only a few people ‘get’. And a lot of Taiwanese care about the Olympics… at least about figuring out how to make money from it.[/quote]

So write the citys name in chinese on it too then, and build the official logo in it somehow :slight_smile:

I think you could clearly use the “red guy” from the official logo in front of the tank:

Something similiar to your work from www.rsf.org, clearly looks more violent and less ‘add alike’:

But, those rsf guys are funny, using french for the city name and english for the descriptive text :slight_smile: It shouldn’t be “Reporters sans frontiers” but “Reporters speaking french” :stuck_out_tongue:

My work??? I wish! No, this is Andre’s baby.
Anyways, should I add your name to the list?

[quote][url=http://www.chillingeffects.org/protest/faq.cgi#QID542]Question: When is parody protected from a charge of trademark infringement?

Answer: Parody is a usage of a mark that pokes fun at the mark and does not confuse the public as to the source of the usage. In determining whether there is infringement the court balances the public interest in free expression against the public interest in avoiding consumer confusion. “A parody must convey two simultaneous–and contradictory messages; that it is the original, but also that it is not the original and is instead a parody. To the extent that it does only the former but not the latter, it is not only a poor parody but also vulnerable under trademark law, since the consumer will be confused.” From Cliffs NOtes, Inc. v. Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group, 886 F. 2d 490 (2d Cir. 1989) [/url][/quote]

[quote=“Jaboney”]My work??? I wish! No, this is Andre’s baby.
Anyways, should I add your name to the list?[/quote]

No, thanks. But its beautiful :slight_smile:

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote][url=http://www.chillingeffects.org/protest/faq.cgi#QID542]Question: When is parody protected from a charge of trademark infringement?

Answer: Parody is a usage of a mark that pokes fun at the mark and does not confuse the public as to the source of the usage. In determining whether there is infringement the court balances the public interest in free expression against the public interest in avoiding consumer confusion. “A parody must convey two simultaneous–and contradictory messages; that it is the original, but also that it is not the original and is instead a parody. To the extent that it does only the former but not the latter, it is not only a poor parody but also vulnerable under trademark law, since the consumer will be confused.” From Cliffs NOtes, Inc. v. Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group, 886 F. 2d 490 (2d Cir. 1989) [/url][/quote][/quote]

Jesus, imagine you get arrested with a T-Shirt like that in Taiwan. You will end up on CNN! :slight_smile: Abusing a mark might be worth it. But hey I don’t promote illegal activities here.

1. Difficult to imagine ever being arrested anywhere but in China for wearing the shirt in question.

2. I’m not certain there is anything illegal about this shirt.

I think this design is best on white background.

Uh, yeah, actually this is where I got the idea:

After all, this is one of the first images that come to mind when you think of Beijing.

Now I re-read that thread and I see what you mean… but your idea was more like this (and it was stolen by the RSF :slight_smile:):

Well, anyway, both are pretty obvious, I’m really surprised we don’t see more variations on this theme all over the net.

Jaboney, please put me down for one t-shirt… I’ll just wear it inside so I don’t get arrested. :saywhat:

And yeah, it looks best on a white background. A black background should be OK too, with all the colors inverted or something.

Me too, 2 shirts for mesheel pls.
And big compliment to Andre, who ever he is, great design!!

Ok, in the original thread about the slogan, when I brought up the idea of a logo I wrote: “Maybe the logo could be a little running figure being followed closely by a tank” if I recall the original thread correctly. I saw your drawing pop up later and thought it was a response. In any case, it doesn’t matter; people will like the shirt.

I think the logo will look best on a white field, but I don’t like all-white tees. 914 chose white tees with colored sleeves and collars for the AnimalsTaiwan shirts, and they looked pretty good that way. Here, we got a model to pose in one for us. [EDIT: Oops, no, she complained about that pic. Here’s a better one] [EDIT 2: Oh, no, she didn’t like that one either. Damn, woman! Ok, here’s a different model]:

But I’d recommend trying to get something like that through the printer Maoman is using for the Forumosa tees. Andre has promptly sent me a hi-res version for the printer to use :notworthy: , and I’ve already saved it in various formats and burnt a CD, so if Jaboney or Maoman wants to pick it up from me, just drop me a line. As with the Forumosa tees, I’d recommend a top-quality, all-cotton tee. It’s got to last until 2008, after all! :slight_smile:

1. Difficult to imagine ever being arrested anywhere but in China for wearing the shirt in question.

2. I’m not certain there is anything illegal about this shirt.[/quote]

Arrested? Yes, only in China. Sued? That’s a different matter. The US Olympic Committee has a reputation for using bullying tactics against anyone who uses the five rings, the word “Olympics” and the words “higher, faster, farther” (or whatever those words are) including organizers of the. . .

Rat Olympics
multinationalmonitor.org/mm2003/ … award.html

Ferret Olympics
msnbc.msn.com/id/8942404/

Robolympics (robotics competition)
wired.com/news/culture/0,128 … _tophead_3

Gay Olympics (including one lawsuit that the USOC won at the US Sup Ct.):

[quote]In the early 1980s, the nonprofit San Francisco Arts & Athletics organization initiated plans to convene a “Gay Olympic Games” in San Francisco. . . would feature gay athletes…A few months into the planning. . .The United States Olympic Committee informed them that it was illegal for them to use the word “Olympic” to describe or market their games. . .

…In 1986, the Supreme Court reaffirmed by a 7 to 2 margin the lower court’s ruling. . .The USOC’s monopoly over words, the Court held, amounted to “incidental restrictions on First Amendment freedoms” when balanced against the “substantial governmental interest” of giving the USOC “an incentive to continue produc[ing] a ‘quality product’.” [/quote]
brandnamebullies.com/excerpts.html

And they don’t just go after organizers of such events; they also go after people making satirical use of the olympic rings and logos:

[quote]A new lapel pin poking fun at the Olympic bid scandal has been temporarily pulled off the market. Mell Bailey, the creator and seller of the pin, has been asked by the Salt Lake Tribune to cease the sale and distribution of the pin so as to avoid a potential trademark infringement suit.

The pin features cartoon images of five prominent bid officials – former bid leader Tom Welch, former Salt Lake Mayor Deedee Corradini, International Olympic Committee President Juan Antonio Samaranch, former bid chairman Frank Joklik, and Utah Governor Mike Leavitt - on coins that are lined up in shapes resembling the five Olympic rings. An attorney for the Tribune has asked that Bailey stop selling the pin because it features the phrase, “The Best Games Money Can Buy.”[/quote]
sportslawnews.com/archive/Ar … OCpins.htm

But, I agree with you completely that, notwithstanding the USOC’s bullying tactics (a) use of the marks and logos in parody is clearly allowed and the use in this case should clearly qualify as parody and (b) unless these shirts are mass-marketed through larger forums than forumosa, the USOC’s unlikely to find out and make a fuss about this printing. So, screw China and screw the USOC; I too believe the use is legal.

Sign me up for 2 shirts.

I also agree with Dragonbones that something other than plain white or plain grey might be nice. Personally, I think black with white tank and writing might look good.

I would prefer an all white T-Shirt with the print as shown.

Well, it would look like this:

Sorry, I don’t have time to draw a t-shirt now, but you get the idea.
Not bad, but… I still prefer the white background.

Well, it would look like this:

Sorry, I don’t have time to draw a t-shirt now, but you get the idea.
Not bad, but… I still prefer the white background.[/quote]

I think I’d prefer the original design on a gray background (shirt)… so that the color of the Olympic rings remains correct.

Grey would be nice. The black looks sharp – I don’t think most folks would notice the change in ring color. And the white with colored collar and sleeves avoids the undershirt look.

Let’s see what the printer has, then take a vote!