Olympics Opening Ceremony - and games

Surely you have not forgotten Women’s Beach Volleyball?
:no-no:

[quote=“superking”]
I suppose it’s ok for people to hate/ criticise the ceremony because the ceremony itself isn’t actually a person and won’t feel upset. You are just railing against your own feelings. If someone can’t sit and simply enjoy something wonderful, that has taken years to prepare and involved thousands of people working hard to create a sense of something spectacular, without having to find ways to be unhappy about it, then that is the real problem right there. I hope such people, like the ones I see on facebook, do get to find joy in other aspects of their lives, because when it comes to dealing with global events, or the behaviour of others they seem to find it difficult to accept a happy and positive opinion.

Call me bombastic, but I thought the opening ceremony was fantastic.[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: You really tickle me SK! One makes the effort to watch these duper big, gala events to get some sort of entertainment and to wowed by some display of skill or art or prowess or whatever, this was trash. The Brits knew they could never match upto what the Chinese did in the Asian Games 2010 even, so, if you can’t match then trash! And say ‘hey we’re Brits, we’re cool, we can laugh at ourselves and FFS it’s a spectacle you guys SHOULD enjoy or you’re all losers’. Reminds me of the [strike]Emperor’s[/strike] Queen’s new clothes. There’s nothing there really but let’s keep on pretending!

Just want to ask if people genuinely can’t accept that I don’t like big overly hyped tacky commercial sports events? Seriously? This is an issue for some of you? That people have different interests and tastes? I promise I don’t think any less of you for enjoying the opening ceremony. :roflmao:

Omni, it was broadcast on ELTA MOD channels. There are something lime 10 channels that are broadcasting different events simultaneously there. It was also broadcast, at least partly , on Tai Shi regular cable channel.

You may notice the 24 hour ‘news’ channels did not show anything. That was because the tight b$&t$&s were not willing to pay for any rights to broadcast the Olympics.

But how could any viewer be so unreasonable as to expect them to actually pay any of their hard-earned money for programme content? After all, they don’t rake in all that many billions a day from their monopolies on cable subscription and the mere 5 or so minutes of advertising that they sell for each 5 minutes of programme time. And the organizations that control the provision of cable have a big expense to meet in keeping their black-shirted, tattooed “staff” members well supplied with betelnut and baseball bats.

U guys enjoying the games? Im enjoying watching a few hours a nite here.

I guess every country will have coverage a bit different. We get the coverage where American teams are playing of course.

Some good stuff happening today. US women took the gold , second Russia, China not on the podium on this one (rare).

China doing well in mens gymnastic with an easy gold. And in diving.

Phelps almost made it to third gold in 200m IM. By a hair really. Still he got his 19th medal in the relay and made history.

He can retire at this moment being the guy with the most medals in any olympics since the 40s and that Russian lady gymnast.

Nice write up

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/o … ndex.html#

What games are you watching? Any cool moments for you?

I’m rooting for The Flying Squirrel, also known as Gabby Douglas, in tomorrow’s best individual female gymnast competition. She’s from my city of residence, which is reason enough for me. But it’s also true for me that I can’t resist rooting for a slip of a girl with that nickname and those eyes. I’ll post a pic later, an edit.

Go Gabby!

Here she is on the uneven bars. I think she’s all of 16 years old. I have TOENAILS older than 16 years!

[quote=“flike”]I’m rooting for The Flying Squirrel, also known as Gabby Douglas, in tomorrow’s best individual female gymnast competition. She’s from my city of residence, which is reason enough for me. But it’s also true for me that I can’t resist rooting for a slip of a girl with that nickname and those eyes. I’ll post a pic later, an edit.

Go Gabby![/quote]

Gabby is doing just fine ! SHe helped her team win the Team GOld

hey someone should merge all the 2012 olympic threads into one.

congrats to the UK today for winning gold in the mens timed cycling and the womens 2000meter row.

finally the UK gets some GOLD medals .

I have to go on record as saying those were the lamest opening ceremonies in the history of the modern Olympics. Never mind Sir Kenneth’s smug yap, there was just nothing to them. The Chinese have been called robots for their efforts, but they were people. The precision with which they performed was a choreographer’s wet dream. I am so disappointed in Danny Boyle. I may never see another one of his movies.

Just dismal. Shameful. As dreary as a London rain.

[quote=“flike”]I’m rooting for The Flying Squirrel, also known as Gabby Douglas, in tomorrow’s best individual female gymnast competition. She’s from my city of residence, which is reason enough for me. But it’s also true for me that I can’t resist rooting for a slip of a girl with that nickname and those eyes. I’ll post a pic later, an edit.

Go Gabby!

Here she is on the uneven bars. I think she’s all of 16 years old. I have TOENAILS older than 16 years!

[/quote]
I thought the gym stuff was one of the more popular events? I counted 11 people in the audience, but I think they were all judges!

The clip was from the states, not London. It looks like somebody recorded her practice a month or so ago. I’m not sure who the other girls are, the ones waiting for their turn on the bars, but they don’t look like any on the team. Those seated in the audience? No idea.

Oh, and congratulations Gabby! Very tough break for Aly Raisman, who finished fourth. Only in international competition could a gymnast who falls off the balance beam finish ahead of another who did not.

Congratulations, too, to the Russian athletes who took silver and bronze. What a show!

[quote=“Toe Save”]I have to go on record as saying those were the lamest opening ceremonies in the history of the modern Olympics. Never mind Sir Kenneth’s smug yap, there was just nothing to them. The Chinese have been called robots for their efforts, but they were people. The precision with which they performed was a choreographer’s wet dream. I am so disappointed in Danny Boyle. I may never see another one of his movies.

Just dismal. Shameful. As dreary as a London rain.[/quote]

I think the brits were smart. They knew going in that Beijing 2008 was not only going to be a hard act to follow… it was an impossible task for ANYONE to follow. Given that as it may, they were smart to not try and instead make it a reflection of brit traditions, value and perception. A right poke in the eye. They even got their Queen to play a unheard of role and got the top British agent of all time…Bond involved.

I think it was original, personable and characterful. I say it was well done, very well done. In a brit sort of way. NOt trying to emulate anyone (say Beijing) but instead doing the party with a bit of brit flair and stiff upperlip.

YOu can imagine Britain expects to be judged harshly given the task at hand, but i do think they did pull it off. Most of world opinion is very positive on their opening and their spin on it.

As usual I think perhaps the brits themselves (if anyone) had some of the harshest words. But others who are not brit seems to think it was a bit of an alright.

I must say i did email my best brit friend about it and he said nary a word. SO i do suspect he shares your dismal view.

But hey, tommy was entertained and pleased and thats ALL that matters (to tommy) :smiley:

And, they have been doing a good job hosting the events it seems. Brits can be proud.

sfgate.com/news/article/Gymn … 763859.php

Lets hope Gabbys two gold medals translates into real gold for her and her mom through advertising. She could be a role model for many .

Not all olympians come from wealthy backgrounds.

[quote=“divea”][quote=“superking”]
I suppose it’s ok for people to hate/ criticise the ceremony because the ceremony itself isn’t actually a person and won’t feel upset. You are just railing against your own feelings. If someone can’t sit and simply enjoy something wonderful, that has taken years to prepare and involved thousands of people working hard to create a sense of something spectacular, without having to find ways to be unhappy about it, then that is the real problem right there. I hope such people, like the ones I see on facebook, do get to find joy in other aspects of their lives, because when it comes to dealing with global events, or the behaviour of others they seem to find it difficult to accept a happy and positive opinion.

Call me bombastic, but I thought the opening ceremony was fantastic.[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: You really tickle me SK! One makes the effort to watch these duper big, gala events to get some sort of entertainment and to wowed by some display of skill or art or prowess or whatever, this was trash. The Brits knew they could never match upto what the Chinese did in the Asian Games 2010 even, so, if you can’t match then trash! And say ‘hey we’re Brits, we’re cool, we can laugh at ourselves and FFS it’s a spectacle you guys SHOULD enjoy or you’re all losers’. Reminds me of the [strike]Emperor’s[/strike] Queen’s new clothes. There’s nothing there really but let’s keep on pretending![/quote]

Well, maybe they decided that they would do something different. Which they did!

China was celebrating its “return” to greatness. That was their trip. The Brits were celebrating their own cultural heritage, which included some light-hearted moments. I don’t see a problem.

I watched the ceremony and thought it was fantastic. The themes and characters chosen were intended to include those things people globally currently associate with Britain and imo they got it right. I taught students from round the world and I rarely met one who didn’t know James Bond. Mr. Bean or David Beckham. They also chose sources of British pride such as the NHS and the Industrial Revolution. Yes, the children bouncing on beds was slightly surreal but the British really do have a soft spot for their NHS. The main focus was actually the Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital, which has pioneered many medical breakthroughs in paediatric medicine.

And why on earth would they have included some of the murkier aspects? Should Beijing have focussed on China’s human rights abuses, or the great famine due to the Cultural Revolution? Will Brazil next time be about the destruction of the Amazon?

The best thing about the British opening ceremony was its emphasis on children. The theme was that the purpose of the Olympics is to inspire the next generation. That was why upcoming young athletes were chosen to light the flame rather than some celebrity. I’m not ashamed to say that brought a lump to my throat.

This is the first Olympics that I’ve watched a lot of in many years and I’m thoroughly enjoying it. I think this Olympics will set a record for the most world and Olympic records broken. They’ve been falling like nine-pins.

So clearly I must jingoistic and boring, but I really don’t care.

Outstanding commentary on the sailing competition here. Well worth a watch. :thumbsup:

thatvideosite.com/v/5852

Bloody funny, MT!

And it wouldn’t surprise me if it was for real.

Well least we can have a laugh at everyone and ourselves, to be honest I had no clue what was going on either!