"Onigiri?" What's that?

[color=#0000FF]Mod’s note: This post was split from [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/exchange-waste-batteries-for-foods-and-drinks-at-convenient-stores/69577/1 thread[/url].[/color]

Yeah, knew about this, too. Didn’t know about cellphone inclusion though. “onigiri?” What’s that? Why not just transliterate the Chinese “fantuan?” More of us will know it as such.

Actually the OP is correct. And that technically is NOT a fantuan. A fantuan , as sold usually at the soy milk places include (usually) one of those fried sticks, some chopped up radish type thingys, some powdered pork and wrapped up in nonglutinous rice.

I miss those fantuans. Cant get em in the USA , where i live.

Does the seven call it a fantuan? They may but its not technically correct tho.

Actually the OP is correct. And that technically is NOT a fantuan. A fantuan , as sold usually at the soy milk places include (usually) one of those fried sticks, some chopped up radish type thingys, some powdered pork and wrapped up in nonglutinous rice.

Does the seven call it a fantuan? They may but its not technically correct tho.[/quote]

U sure u haven’t been to Milpitas Square? They got some Chinese restaurants serving Northern Chinese breakfast such as soy milk and Chinese donuts. They probably got fantuan as well.

Does the seven call it a fantuan? They may but its not technically correct tho.[/quote]

It is what people call them, at least the people I’ve spoken to.

Fantuan is a general term for all rice roll(飯糰) but fantuan usually means a Chinese style fantuan which has cylindrical shape. Onigiri is a Japanese style fantuan which usually has triangle shape. Seven call it 御飯糰(royal rice roll).

Fantuan is a general term for all rice roll(飯糰) but fantuan usually means a Chinese style fantuan which has cylindrical shape. Onigiri is a Japanese style fantuan which usually has triangle shape. Seven call it 御飯糰(royal rice roll).[/quote]

Or 飯糰 for short. Why use a Japanese word for it in English? It’s no more recognisable to foreigners than the Chinese word for the item. Why not just transliterate the Chinese? This is what I, as a westerner, generally do. Don’t fall into the trap of trying to translate everything.

Now don’t insult the thing … it’s ‘Imperial rice roll’ … :smiley:

heard TW food can be had in Milpitas but i aint been there. NO reason to go down to south bay usually and dont wanna drive 80 miles there and back just for a bite of TW food look-alike ?