Open relationships and polyamory

I heard guys on Quora talk about it, and is curious if such things even exist here. While I wouldn’t mind having a boyfriend and a girlfriend, it gets really complicated the more people get involved, as in exponentially more complicated with each additional participant.

Does it count as polyamory if I use both hands?

1 Like

With consent yes

1 Like

yeah. It does. :whistle:

And honestly, it might be kinda fun when you’re in your 20s or 30s, but at some point you have to get your life together, and from previous threads it seems like you need to make up for lost time. I wouldn’t be wasting any sort of energy on pondering these hypotheticals, TL.

3 Likes

Dammit! My left hand’s in trouble

1 Like

That’s called skiing.

4 Likes

That would be undeniable polyamory

It might exist, but they must be very in-the-closet. Even in LGBT spaces, when I mentioned that some of my friends from Chile are poly, people looked at me like I was speaking about Martians. (But this crowd was 30 and up, so maybe the younger generations are more open to poly relationships)

Sex buddies is different from a polyamorous relationship. The former doesn’t consist of any romantic relationship or commitment. The latter does, except it’s between three or more people.

4 Likes

I’ve known a few poly people over the years and the universal complaint/challenge I’ve heard is “scheduling!”

4 Likes

So what about properties, how does that work? One reason you have marriage is because of that.

I would assume on a case-by-case basis.

Maybe it’s best just to bring it up with the partners once you’ve completed the remaining two-thirds of the throuple and gotten to the relationship stage where you’re discussing joint property purchases? Worrying about it now seems a little premature…

1 Like

This is a very typical 20s / early 30s thing, or alternatively for people who have little relationship experience - because in 99.99% of the cases, such relationships crash and burn, and people get really seriously (emotionally) hurt.

Why even search for something like that? Sounds like self harm.

3 Likes

The two most different examples I know of would be a six-way partnership (sextouple?) with many children who lived in a large mansion. They were all highly paid professionals though, so it was an even division of ownership.

At the opposite extreme was a throuple where one person was a trust fund kid and the other two had ordinary income. In that case the one owned the property from before but split ownership with the other two when they decided to be together for the long haul as a symbol of good faith etc. I believe they also had a complicated pre-nup of some sort dictated by the trust fund management but I never asked the details.

The common threads there being money and ability vs strengthening the relationship. I.e. no different than any other property ownership scenario. :man_shrugging:

:point_up: too complicated for T_L
he just needs a job, a partner, and a new country, and not necessarily in that order

2 Likes

3 Likes

Wow, check your privilege, dude. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

least you’ll feel something :man_shrugging:

Bring lube.

2 Likes