Opportunity or Dilemma: Work APRC vs. Marriage ARC

There is more than one way to get permanent residence in Taiwan and how you choose to manage your timelines can have significant implications.

https://allhandstaiwan.com/2019/02/18/opportunity-or-dilemma-work-aprc-vs-marriage-aprc/

The title is misleading. The article is not about work APRC vs Marriage APRC. It is about work APRC vs. JFRV. The author is debating whether or not he wants to apply for an APRC now since he has lived here 5 years on an ARC or get married, get a JFRV, reset his APRC clock and wait another 5 years. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

The APRC obtained by holding an ARC for 5 years and the APRC obtained from having a JFRV for 5 years are the same APRC with one tiny difference. The APRC obtained from a JFRV has a description that states you are married under “Type”. Other than that, they are one in the same.

1 Like

The no brainer is that the JFRV may be in danger of being cancelled when your circunstances change, say divorce or your spouse dies. Nowadays you can stay after those circunstances but it is more bureocratic and troublesome. If you get your APRC after 5 years it is basically freedom to do as you please plus no dependence on outside circunstances. That is key if you want to stay in Taiwan… or even leave and coem back, way easier on APRC than JFVC.

JFVC?
Not sure what that is.
JFRV = Joining Family Resident Visa

The person in the article said he is not sure if he wants to get an APRC in 2020 once he hits the 5 year mark on his ARC or get married now, get a JFRV and have open work rights now but resetting his clock for an APRC.

If he were to get a divorce or his spouse dies while on a JFRV, he can petition to stay. It is possible, but as you said…it is a lot of red tape to go through.

The best thing he can do, if he does not need immediate open work rights, is to get an APRC in 2020 when his ARC hits 5 years.

There’s an entire thread on figuring out if there’s a difference or not - ARC/APRC: "work based" vs. "marriage based" (vs. "gold card") advantages and disadvantages

JFRV.

Aside from typos, Icon might be a bit dislexic.

2 Likes

Last year, I changed from work related (accumulated 4 years already) to marriage ARC and NIA advised that it will not reset my timer. i will applying for marriage APRC this September.

3 Likes

This is good news. However, as usual with things here YMMV…best to caution people to ask first before leaping.

2 Likes

Getting married or not shouldn’t depend on whatever resident visa one wants. If the author of the article is having such question, better wait until 2020… :2cents:

My wording was not 100% accurate.
It sounds like he will get married this year regardless of ARC / APRC status.

A quick look at NIA site showed there is information regarding what your were advised.
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141465/141808/152932/

1)An alien, who has legally and continuously resided in the State for five (5) years and for more than one hundred and eighty-three (183) days each year, or the alien spouse and/or children of a ROC(Taiwan) national with registered permanent residence in Taiwan who have legally resided in the State for ten (10) years, during which period they have actually resided in the State for more than one hundred and eighty-three (183) days each year for five (5) years, and also meet the following requirements may apply to National Immigration Agency for permanent residence. The foresaid periods shall not include the period of staying (residing) in the State by any of those aliens whose residence in Taiwan is permitted due to studies or employment in Taiwan as approved by authorities in charge of labor affairs or the field of their employment pursuant to Subparagraphs 8 to 10, Paragraph 1 of Article 46 of the Employment Service Act.

I am not doubting that you were told that, just cautioning others to ask NIA first.

@DakenX I would STRONGLY advise you to go back to the NIA, show them this paragraph from their own NIA site and get it in writing that your APRC clock will not be reset and that your time on an ARC will count.

2 Likes

What @SuiGeneris said.

@DakenX, como cada funcionario del NIA da una respuesta diferente, mejor por escrito y en triplicado.

1 Like

Ok thank you @SuiGeneris, @Icon

I actually got married one month before i qualified for my APRC. I met with representatives from immigration and they strongly suggested that I take the APRC. This was mostly because of not having to renew it; but overall, the said I would be crazy to pass on the APRC

2 Likes