Options of vegetarian food in those chain restaurants that weigh your food

This is not a vegan post. I am not a vegan. But, I cut meat 3 times a week because I think it is the right thing to do. I like to go to those chain vegetarian restaurants that weigh our food. But, I think the options are limited. They offer many deep fried items. They are not healthy at all. I want to ask you guys if you have any ideas about the options they can offer in their restaurants. The things I don’t want them to remove from their menu are raw spring rolls, braised eggplants, and mashed potatoes. I wish they could offer some grilled vegetarian fish, Japanese seaweed salad and cellophane noodles.

Chain, not chained! :rofl:

Guy

I appreciate your observation. Thanks for letting me know! It is revised.

1 Like

Because of this, I will invite you to have lunch there. But, I have to make sure if you like the meal. I promise I won’t feed you with Poison Ivy. lol

2 Likes

The buffets usually have lots. You choose what you want yourself, so shouldnt be a problem. It is true they tend to be quite heavy on the oil side of things. Usually very cheap produce, so sprays would be a concern for some. Certainly not all, but many are the Buddhist style vegetarian without onion/garlic etc. Personally i am not a fan.

If you live in a big city, there are exceptional vegetarian places with western options. Ones with high quality fresh vegetables are obviously much more expensive than fried stuff or tofu/rice style meals But worth it if budget allows!

As a treat when visiting Taipei i like to go to Ohh Chacha or Plants in Daan. 300~400 a meal and very good!

1 Like

Those vegan restaurants vary dramatically in quality. There’s a particular chain (I forget the name, but they have a couple of branches in department stores) that does a top-notch job. They usually have the things you mention. Like Explant I avoid the ones that adhere strictly to Buddhist principles (no alliums) because they make up for the lack of flavour by loading everything up with sugar, salt and other gunk.

Not that there’s anything wrong with salt - I just don’t want my meal to taste of nothing else.

Don’t be afraid of fat. Even the Harvard School of Public Heath (they of low-fat diet fame) have gradually accepted that fat is a critical macronutrient for humans, and they came out with a much-lauded study a few years ago suggesting that a 50:50 calorie split from carbs and fat is optimal. It was a terrible study, and because there’s no biological lower bound for carb intake I doubt there’s an upper bound for fat, but it does represent a growing consensus. The main problem here is that seed-derived oils are neither natural nor healthy, so if I had one suggestion it would be for vegetarian restaurants to use minimally-processed tropical oils (coconut oil, palm oil). These are cold-pressed, less environmentally questionable than canola, sunflower, etc., and contain a more metabolically-useful mix of fatty acids as well as a few micronutrients.

Actual vegetarian restaurants (using dairy and eggs) are notably missing from Taiwan, which is a pity; it’s hard to get adequate omega-3 EFAs without them.

1 Like

Why not choose a local non chain one. There are many good ones if your search, like this
and another nearby which is sometimes under $100

https://www.google.com/maps/place/菜根香人文素食餐廳/@22.6282008,120.3129614,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipOAwOe2gR48TxsH0XFuTZTHVqMkkt4NpHSB84nq!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOAwOe2gR48TxsH0XFuTZTHVqMkkt4NpHSB84nq%3Dw203-h152-k-no!7i4000!8i3000!4m5!3m4!1s0x346e0491145d3f11:0x70260347f8bc2ee7!8m2!3d22.6281032!4d120.3129996

2 Likes

I have been to Ohh Chacha. It is good. I like the Buddhist style. Because I hate garlic. Onions are ok. But, I only like them cooked with beef.

1 Like

I haven’t been to this place yet. I saw their menu. The food looks tasty.

They have eggs and they use dairy products. There is a difference between Vegan and Vegetarian. Some vegans don’t even eat eggs or dairy products. But, there are many vegetarian restaurants that have eggs.

If he resists, chain him to the chair.

1 Like

Are there? I have to say, I haven’t seen any. The 素食便當 shops are invariably full-on vegan, and what I’d call “biologically appropriate” vegetarian food (which relies heavily on dairy for animal protein) seems like not really a thing in Taiwanese culture. Where it exists, it’s usually Indians or Westerners designing the menu.

These foods are what I like on the menu of the restaurant you showed me. But, they only sell dishes individually. Each costs 150-200NT. I want those chain restaurants that weigh your meal to offer food options like this. Every time I go there, I don’t spend more than 100 NT. Yes, I am a cheapskate. I want things to be good and cheap.

With bondage lol.

1 Like

Where are you located? I think it is because I live in South, and there is a big chain of this vegetarian restaurant here. But, I am checking now. I can’t find any in Central or North. I gotcha. Wow, they have 10 franchises in South. But, they didn’t open one in North or Central. They would make a lot of money because every time I go there, they are always full and the foods are always sold out. I saw foreigners eating there, too. They use a scale to weigh your food. You pay for what you weigh. I never pay more than 100 NT. The amount is a little bit more than an average Bento box. I am thinking seriously to open one franchise in Central.

1 Like

if your ever around Pingtung city you can give this place a try, they have 2 locations in the city

and another one in Pingtung city, not as big a selection but still quite nice if your in town and want something meatless for lunch

2 Likes

Thanks for showing me! They offer many options. I definitely will try next time I visit Pingtung.

1 Like

i have added both locations and the website with the menu, hope it helps what city are you in? maybe some one more local can help.

I general I do not like eat mock meat (I eat real meat but more fish less beef), the fried rice looks good to me. And now I eat the office, mostly take away so sometimes, a black coffee or flat white with vegi box. Recently a lot of mackerel or cod which I like with vegis for a mix and match.

Thats not really vegan, its more the bhuddist places. They have lots of sects, some with really weird cultish mentalities. My favorite are the anti fungi vegan cults hehe. But many a veggie buffet have egg dishes. Just not the Buddhist ones. I like the egg ones cause i prefer food with garlic/onion in them as a flavor. Its an easy way to see (usually, not always) how the general flavor tones will be.

Luckily, loads to choose from in taiwan. So beggars literally can be choosers here for vegetarian buffets (see front door monk with cash tray for proof :))

2 Likes