Oral fixation/Sleeping arrangements

I take it back! She has started waking up every two hours and I’ve gone from being well rested to being utterly exhausted :frowning:

I take it back! She has started waking up every two hours and I’ve gone from being well rested to being utterly exhausted :frowning:[/quote]

Growth spurt maybe?

Sorry… :frowning: btdt.

I take it back! She has started waking up every two hours and I’ve gone from being well rested to being utterly exhausted :frowning:[/quote]

This is a make or break point IMHO. My wife couldn’t deal with the boy crying at this stage.I said “Let him cry himself back to sleep.” (bottle not boob fed) But she would cry until I said, “OKOKOKOKOK,” and she’d go get him and …

The sleeping without satisfaction lasted for two years. I was a mess. :slight_smile:

It’s up to you. But if you try to break this waking habit, it’s gonna take some time and it won’t be pretty.

piwackit wrote:

[quote]. She sleeps at 6:30 has a feed before I go to sleep then sleeps until 6am! I’ve never been more rested.

I take it back! She has started waking up every two hours and I’ve gone from being well rested to being utterly exhausted [/quote]

Like braxtonhicks mentioned, it could be a growth spurt. Or maybe your daughter is just keeping up fluids, it’s been pretty hot the past few days. I’ve noticed my son taking more short feeds, especially today.

Hope you find time to rest well!

Our girl is 20 months old and we finally bought a bed of her own and kicked her out of ours. It’s great.

She loves her bed. It’s crammed between our bed and the wall, so she can’t roll onto the floor and she can crawl up with us if she wants, but she’s very happy on hers’. I told her it was her bed when the box arrived from Ikea and as I assembled it she was already crawling all over the pieces. Now that it’s in place it’s a great new play toy/adventure and she falls asleep quickly in it.

More importantly, after 20 months of lying scrunched up on the side (she rolled around actively, usually ending up sideways between her parents, a head in one’s stomach, feet in the others’), I’m thrilled to have a big bed to sprawl out on. I haven’t slept so well in ages. :slight_smile:

My God, Mother Theresa! She’s already 20 months old?! I remember when both your and Amos’s little girls were born.

I’m not a parent (but I pop in here every once in a while anyway :wink: ), but if I were to use a crib, I would have one side down and next to me so that even if my baby couldn’t sleep in bed with me, he or she could be close enough that I could just roll over and feed or comfort him or her. I shared a bed with my little sister for a few years from when I was 7 (and she was 6) until I was 9, chiefly because my mother couldn’t afford a luxury like a second bed when we moved up north. And would crawl into my mother’s bed whenever I had nightmares after then. I grew to love my mother’s snoring. :smiley:

Many cultures have group sleeping arrangements where babies sleep with their parents or with older siblings. It’s only recently (as far as human history goes) that Western cultures have frowned upon the family bed. In Islamic cultures, different gendered siblings can share beds until they turn 10.

Yes, it’s amazing how quickly the years pass once one has a child. As a solo adult one hardly notices the years passing because there’s so little difference between 25 and 30 or 30 and 35, but everything changes when you’ve got a child and every day one sees new developments, from crawling, to standing, walking, talking, learning language at an amazing pace, learning to say “no” and whatever is next. I’m sure it won’t be long till my girl’s a teenager and I’ll be repeating the same trite cliches, but any parent knows how true it is.

That’s basically how our set up works and it’s great. She has a regular bed – not a crib with caging around it – but the head and one side of her bed are crammed up against walls so she can’t roll out. The other side is beside our bed, about 10 inches lower, so she can crawl up and down as she pleases, but fortunately she’s very happy on her bed, which is good for her and for us. :slight_smile:

Just finished putting our girl to sleep in the regular manner: a bike ride around the block. It works like a charm every time – literally.

Whether it’s 10 pm and she’s still full of energy or time for her afternoon nap (on a weekend, when I’m home), I’ll take her downstairs, put her on the bike and ride at a leisurely pace back and forth down the peaceful, tree-lined streets a few blocks from our house. By now, I think she must know that the ride will end in her falling asleep and she’ll only waken hours later lying on the bed, but she doesn’t mind at all. In fact, she’s always very happy to go for a ride, and as we set out she’ll sing quietly the following line from a song she’s recently learned, “Go to sleep, my little girl.” It usually takes no more than 5 to 10 minutes before her head starts nodding, so I put an arm across in front of her (her seat’s between my legs) and soon she’s a heavy weight draped over my arm. I ride home with one hand, drape her over my shoulder, and deliver her to my wife, who lays her out on the bed.

:sleepy:

Just found this thread. It’s very interesting. When our Sabrina was born we lived in a one-bedroom apartment, so no choice but in our room. She was in her own crib though, occationally my wife would get tired of fetching her to feed and just sleep with her in the bed or the recliner. After we moved to Taipei when she was 3 and a half months old, we got a 2-bedroom place and she got her own room. After that it was just a matter of teaching her to fall asleep by herself. Up until she was 4 months she would need to be rocked asleep before you could put her down. At 4 months, my wife and I decided it was time for her to learn to fall asleep on her own. We started and didn’t let up. For about a week, we would put her down and she would cry and cry for about 15 to 20 min. We would check on her every 5-10 min or so to calm her down, but she always fell asleep eventually. After about a week, all we had to do was sing to her a little after her bedtime feeding, and then put her in the crib and she would fall asleep on her own. Now she does it for all of her naps too. the only problem we have is getting her to nap anywhere else, like at grandma’s, other than her crib. Nonetheless, we are happy as can be with this. Now she sleeps for about 12 hrs at night (about 8 yo 8) and we love it.

I just wanted to give some of you parents trying to get theirs to sleep on their own a bit of encouragement. Be patient and let them cry. The thing to remember is to not pick them up unless they really need something.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]
Many cultures have group sleeping arrangements where babies sleep with their parents or with older siblings. It’s only recently (as far as human history goes) that Western cultures have frowned upon the family bed. .[/quote]

I’m sure it must have something to do with being able to afford large houses with several rooms. When I lived in Korea in 1982 many people had only a single room house. Blankets were stored in a large wardrobe and the space converted to living/dining room. Japan was probably the same not long ago.
I doubt Indian kids had seperate teepees and Eskmo kids seperate igloos :laughing: .
It really comes down to economics for many cultures.

We tried putting our son in a crib when he was a baby but because he has always been such a light sleeper we ended up having to get up many times a night to walk him to sleep. And so he’s been sleeping with us ever since and is 2 1/2 now.
I see nothing wrong with it and I’m sure it’ll seem like tomorrow that he’s coming home from school and locking himself in his own room. Although he doesn’t expect it anymore I still enjoy walking him to sleep with some music sometimes. Those days will soon be gone so I’m glad I often did it.
We move in a couple months and will take the opportunity to get him his own bed to put next to ours. After he gets used to that we’ll begin the seperate rooms.
One thing we have done from day one is play the same CD before he sleeps. Even now when we play it he knows it’s time for bed and it helps him sleep.

We used a pacifier when he was a few months old to help him sleep but he hasn’t needed that or his thumb since accept for a teether sometimes when his teeth were breaking through. Luckily he doesn’t stick things in his mouth or I’d be paranoid about him choking on something.
Thumb sucking won’t hurt the teeth up until a certain age as someone else already mentioned.