Outback Steak House

I would suggest making a reservation. They do accept it, just that right now they are booked until after New Years.

Aside: No one has posted if the steaks were any good or not.
I mean, I can’t just to and eat the brownie a la mode…on the second hand, I could. :wink:

I went yesterday. Ohh man the steak was good, espically considering the price. The special going on is that steaks over 390 NT are half off. So i had an 11oz sirloin for like 250. Doesn’t get much better than that and the steak was a very nice medium rare. The quality of the meat was better than most local taiwanese places I thought.
Also, I somehow made happy hour (on a Sunday, weird) so it was buy one beer get on free so that was awesome also. I love how they use refrigrated mugs.
I ate at the bar, and if you only have 2 people that’s what you should do too espically since they’re totally booked it seems. It’s a great deal. I’m gonna try and go back before it ends!!!
I ended up playing 550 ish for 2 - 22oz of beer, 11oz steak, salad, and bread. Not bad at all.

I’ve just come back from there. Good meat. Good jacket potatoes. The meat is served raw no matter how you ask for it. Fine by me. The jacket potato is done to a T and seems to have sea salt on the skin, making the skin (the best part IMHO) fantastically crisp and tasty.

Don’t queue for a table. Eat at the bar.

Also, they only appear to have a few steaks. They do not have all the steaks on the menu. They didn’t on Saturday either.

I ate at the bar, and had to put up with some guy next to me droning on about WWF ‘fights’ being staged. Other than that it was an OK experience.

Yeah. :unamused: “Well done” I said, not in praise but to ensure that my steak was cooked all the way through. When it arrived it was pretty sizzled on the outside and totally raw in the middle. That’s not misreading the order, that’s cooking it badly.

“Excuse me, I asked for ‘well done’,” I said.
“Oh, you wanted it well done,” the barman said, and took it away. That was the entire conversation.

No one apologised or offered me anything at all by way of compensation for the fact that I had to sit there drooling while Mr Droney stuffed raw meat into his face and told me about how boxing was a noble sport. Not very impressed with that.

Still, the meat was pretty good when it finally arrived. And you can get pints of Bacardi and Coke if you ask. I’ll go back and give them another chance to get it right some time when they’ve settled in.

I was there last Sunday and ate at TGI after walking past the Outback.

Funny thing was I was driving around Taipei trying to take note of names so I could remember to check them on Forumosa for a report.

Checked it on Forumosa today and there you go, should have gone there instead of walking Ikea backward and going to TGI!

I ate at the bar, and had to put up with some guy next to me droning on about WWF ‘fights’ being staged. Other than that it was an OK experience.[/quote]

Sounds like my kind of guy. I’m going back tonight. Hope the wrestling’s on. (Hope they’ve got more than two steaks on the menu! I want my 1 1/4 pound porterhouse!)

I hope you bought him a drink. :wink:

Wait a second!

WWF rasslin is fixed???

OMG!!! :noway:

Went there again last night. Had another superb steak.

[quote=“jdsmith”]Wait a second!

WWF rasslin is fixed???

OMG!!! :noway:[/quote]

NO! Of course not. But the great unwashed masses sometimes assume otherwise. They don’t understand that mortal combat is the highest form of art, and should appear to be a kind of dance if done properly. It’s always sad when you sit next to people who can’t hear the music.

Hexuan, do you think that buying Mr Droney a drink would help him get in touch with his inner self and develop a higher appreciation for the disciples of Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy? Tell you what, if you meet him there while troughing out then give him a pint of that awful pseudo-Aussie beer they sell and see if he changes his tune.

I’ll reimburse you if you can find me at a certain well-known gastro-pub where I had a flawless Filet Mignon today.

I noticed that the restaurant with the claims to be Australian doesn’t have the words “Aussie Beef” featuring prominently on its menu. If my supermarket can do that then surely an Aussie restaurant can?

It’s NOT an AUSTRALIAN restaurant. It’s merely Australian-themed. I’m sure you knew that but let’s all be clear about this :noway:

Ribs, cheese fries, buffalo wings, onion rings etc. are American food (although can be found in Australia if you look for them - mostly at American restaurants). And real Australian hamburgers come with beetroot :uhhuh:

They don’t have ‘American cheese’ on them either. Wasn’t Big Fluffy Matthew ‘out back’ for a while?

Do you get a discount if you come dressed as your favorite wrestler?

Did this place last night. Called at 8:00 and was told the line was long even for the bar but took a chance and when we got there by 9:00 could get seated at the bar right away. Thanks for the suggestion btw for all those that posted.

Steak was fine. Had the 11 oz sirloin. Good, not dazzling, but good. Chances of getting anything cooked over rare seem rare also, so order well done if you like it pink inside. Good jacket fries but a bit skimpy so ordered a second helping for two. Comes with veggies that were not boiled or oiled to death in a wok just nicely steamed. large mugs of Fosters for NT$180. Flat screen sports in the bar, if you consider pool a sport. Luckily they had a repeat of a Wimbledon match on also and at least there is a choice.

Service was pretty good, not speedy but they are new and quite busy. Barkeep spoke English well. Atmosphere is fine, a bit like a big hotel bar, comfy bar seats and not overly noisy. The restaurant itself is huge with many, many tables back behind the bar. The rest of the menu looks varied and good for bar type food. Prices were well within range for Taipei. Will go back again and try other things listed. I think one of the fun parts of this restaurant is watching all the Taiwanese waitstaff walking around in their Aussie outfits and outback hats. Kind of surreal. Overall pretty good. Worth going tonight for the last night of the special but imagine they will be even busier on a Friday night.

It’s NOT an Australian restaurant. It’s merely Australian-themed. I’m sure you knew that but let’s all be clear about this :noway:

Ribs, cheese fries, buffalo wings, onion rings etc. are American food (although can be found in Australia if you look for them - mostly at American restaurants). And real Australian hamburgers come with beetroot :uhhuh:[/quote]

what’s beetroot?

Google is your friend :sunglasses:

You probably call them beets. Hamburgers usually use the tinned slices, which taste mostly of vinegar and you’ll be guaranteed a big pink mark on your clothes if you’re a messy eater. [Pickles are generally found only on McHamburgers, and often ended up plastered on the walls, at least for my generation. I hear the young’uns might actually eat them :astonished:]

Yay! Outback’s in Taiwan?! I always recommend this place when people go to Guam.

[

[[quote]You probably call them beets[/quote].

thanks for the info. where I’m from they’re called garh and are considered wonderful dipped in fresh cream and served with chilled white wine on a lazy summer afternoon.

Went there today. Made reservations so didn’t have any trouble with a table, and the workers were all very helpful. But the steak just didn’t do it for me. Very average. I’m going to try a burger someday for lunch. Sometimes these franchises do a better burger than anything else. Maybe a Sunday afternoon burger with a beer.

Finally went to Outback last Friday. We didn’t have a reservation, but arrived around 6:30pm and there was no wait. The staff were very attentive. The appetizer, salad, and side dishes were good.

I ordered the prime rib steak. The au jus sauce was great. But the steak…well, it was lacking. It looked medium rare, but there was absolutely no juice at all coming from the steak. It was dry as a bone. Thankfully I had the au jus sauce or I would have been unable to eat it.

Our server said they planned to start serving American beef in the next couple of months. I’ll be happy to give their steak another try once they have American beef in the house. Until then, I’ll be giving it a miss.

I was there on Friday, too. We had reservations at 7:30. Just for my wife and I, we got some wings, a blooming onion, and a half order of ribs. I really enjoyed all of it. They were real busy by the time we left. So many people waiting for a table.