Over 70% of naturalised citizens from one country

And yet it matters here, because people are crying ‘exploitation!’, and it’s really not as simple as that.

Those are all very different countries. Taiwan is first-world in most respects, although with the odd quirks you’d expect of a young country. Vietnam might go the same route as Taiwan, but right now I would say they’re still very much third-world.

Iran is a funny one, because in many ways it’s a very advanced and cultured society; it seems to be one of those genuine instances of shite government overriding the wishes and opinions of a more advanced population.

What, exploitation only happens in failed and near-failed states?

I’ve no idea. It all depends how you define ‘exploitation’. The problem with slapping labels on things is that you think you’ve described it well enough to write a prescription. Oh, that’s exploitation. How awful. We should make a law about that.

They make laws about all kinds of things. “Oh, that’s improper to the point of causing harm to both individuals and society, and we can do something about it without infringing excessively on individual freedom, so let’s do something about it.”

Yes, obviously. However back when this whole thing kicked off, I was simply pointing out to Gain that he/she doesn’t really know exactly what he’s trying to make illegal, and therefore you can’t make a law about it.

When that kind of thing happens, you can be fairly sure you’re barking up the wrong tree. Laws that make sense are often very easy to express in natural language.

As an aside, I was suggesting that you can’t make laws to fix problems in somebody else’s country.

Even the foreign wives ain’t coming now.

1 Like

I’m sure that many of us here would be more than happy to help out, if they’d just get rid of that annoying One at a Time rule…

2 Likes

Hur hur

Keep em coming.

Why? Because their countries are getting better!

4 Likes

Of course, I’m bullshitting back here. I’m this mental with the one, two would friggin do me in. Buddy could end up losing the stripes off his tail, if you know what I mean…

2 Likes

Definitely the main reason, however there’s a lot of anti Taiwanese rhethoic in China right now as well.

What a poorly-written article. And foreign wives? That nomenclature is so wrong.

At the moment it reads ‘spouses’, so apparently someone at the paper agrees.

More than 90% of naturalised immigrants are women.

If government policy is any guide, their idea of “foreign talent” is apparently Chinese and Vietnamese baby makers.

They’re no longer interested in baby making for Taike Pingdong pig farmers as of late, as shown by the drop.
Better opportunities in their own country.

Well, for them becoming citizens is no walk in the park. At least they are not so easily disposable now and have a chance to stay in case of divorce.

The food is much better too. :grin:

1 Like

So true.
Vietjet is cheap from Taiwan, should go one weekend for food only

1 Like

I’d try to get some bun cha through customs, but the drug beagles would probably go crazy.

1 Like