Over 70% of naturalised citizens from one country

Bun cha?

Yes, please. :grin:

2 Likes

buncha

3 Likes

I was going to argue for the beef thingie but I havenā€™t tried this in Vietnam. Will do then voice an opinion.

You need to go to Hanoi for the real stuff. Just follow your noseā€¦youā€™ll look like that Homer pic when you smell it.

Thereā€™s plenty of Viet places in Taipei lol.

Try getting decent Japanese, Korean or Chinese food in Vietnam though

And none with proper bun cha, unfortunately. Doing it the right way just creates too much smoke.

Very good Indian in Hoi An mind.

Iā€™ve seen many Vietnamese restaurants in yilan but Iā€™ve never noticed that bum cha thing, it looks pretty neatā€¦I need to investigate.

It looks like Taiwan night market food with noodles and sauce :).

Ten times betterā€¦at least.

No wonder they give up their original citizenship as if it is no big deal. If you have lots of assets, position and status in your own country you wouldnā€™t be easily inclined to give it up.

1 Like

Oh be careful, someone will be along shortly to tell you how dare you think you are better than the southeast Asians to say that.

Even though itā€™s a simple economic reality

1 Like

Perhaps thats the whole point:
ā€œIf you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.ā€
ā€” Lao Tzu
:smile:

They give up their citizenship to obtain Taiwanese citizenship, then they return to their countries and re-claim their original citizenship. They lose nothing. Vietnam, Thailand are specific examples for which Iā€™m familiar. Probably the same with Indonesia.

Most of them lose their nationality automatically when they marry a foreigner. As a matter of fact, the problem is that they become stateless.

And as I said, Taiwanese covet the old countryā€™s passport, some for business, some as a stepping stone to the USA, some just like it there. 20 thousand Taiwanese in a fourth world backwater often referred to as a sh**holeā€¦Yet it cannot be that bad, right?

Brazil do that as well, they even have a dodgy letter which they provide from their embassy/consulate saying they are going to give it up at some time in the futureā€¦No way a regular embassy is going to issue a letter like that.

Now, thatā€™s a totally different story.

Bunch of hypocrites. They get easy everywhere, and want to make hard for us. They are deserving of the future they will have.

That used to be the case. Not anymore. After a famous murder case by a Brazilian woman in the US (wife killed the husband) and with all its news and development of the case, there was a big hole in the law made clear.

The Brazilian woman gave up her Brazilian citizenship when she gained the US citizenship. Basically just signed a document and nothing else. She still had her passport and everything. After the murder she fled to Brazil. Eventually she was sent to jail in Brazil and Brazil doesnā€™t allow for extraditions of its citizens. Of course she didnā€™t want to go back to the US because she could face much heavier penalties there , so her attorneys held on to her being a Brazilian as a way to block the deportation. Eventually FBI could prove she had once given up the Brazilian citizenship so they could take her back to the US under the fact that she was US citizen only since she had given up the Brazilian citizenship once.

With all the media frensi and lawyers etc explaining the legalities of it all, what this case brought to light this year was a law once unknown for millions of Brazilians abroad. The unknown part of the law which was exposed is that Brazilians who renounce their citizenship cannot apply again to be Brazilians. There are only 2 ways to re apply if you have given it up: proof that you are a DESCEDANT of the country where you are applying into, meaning that in order for you to claim your heritage rights they require you to give your first passport up, or proof that you are required to give up your citizenship in order to continue living in the country where you want to apply. Thatā€™s not the case of Taiwan because we have APRC here so you can continue living your whole life here without this obligation.

Brazilians canā€™t apply again if not under these two circumstances. Before, with the technology and systems not integrated as they are now, it was easier to not get caught in this and there are many Brazilians in this situation abroad (have renounced their citizenship and reapplied back) and worried a bunch. Brazil is not technologically as far behind as it used to be many years ago and there are ways to be caught easily. So it is illegal and, if found, they can be deported and revoked of their Brazilian citizenship, that they think they have, immediately.

So unless you donā€™t want to be Brazilian ever again, by all means , go for the ROC passport.

1 Like

Well I saw a letter from Brazilian applicant just last year claiming that the applicant was approved for giving it up one year in the future (guy in the household office asked could I get such a letter ). Totally fake I know, although somehow notifiedā€¦ But accepted by MOFA I guessā€¦

This letter is given for you to initiate the process of naturalization application. Then Taiwan will give you the temporary useless passport etc, but to get ROC citizenship finally you need to have a document confirming you are no longer a Brazilian citizen.

In any case, if it was done in the fake way before, not anymore. And unless they go the illegal risky route, if they really give it up there is no way back.

2 Likes