Over 70% of naturalised citizens from one country

FYI… It is impossible to do this legally for Asian countries.
Switching between Country A and Country B and then getting A and B nationalities.
Even for more progressive countries like TW or even HK.
It could be done if country A acknowledge dual citizenships like EU or US/Can.

I’m going to have to see an official reference of support on this. For me, I have three Vietnamese ladies and two Thai ladies I know personally who I can produce as direct support that they easily renounced and then after attaining Taiwan citizenship went back to their home countries and reclaimed their citizenships. They are now dual citizens and have lost nothing.

Lastly, Thai males aren’t eligible to renounce their citizenship by Thai law. I have a Thai male friend who would like Taiwan citizenship, but thought it was unavailable to him due to not being able to renounce his Thai citizenship. I’m now helping him process his application under the Taiwan law which states that if your country won’t allow you to renounce, that you will not be denied Taiwan citizenship if otherwise qualified. He’s lived here over 30 years and didn’t know about this. Why? The Taiwan government doesn’t want anyone to know this!

3 Likes

What law is this?

1 Like

Article 9 of Nationality act

4 Likes

Thanks Tando. Didn’t feel like going to my office to pull out the reference right now! I’ve got the entire Law in Chinese that I’ll post some other time.

1 Like

“As for foreign professionals or those who have already made a special contribution to the ROC, the Nationality Act does not require them to relinquish their original citizenship before being naturalized in Taiwan, unlike foreign spouses.”

Foreign professionals can apply for naturalisation without giving up their original citizenship?

foreign senior professionals, yes

FYI

Thanks for the link!

correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t APRC mean you legally must be in Taiwan for 183+ days of the year? so, with dual citizenship you have no mandatory # of days per year to be in Tawan, no?

yes you can come and go as you please…

I think it depends on whether you obtained your APRC through marriage or professional work.

You can get it waived in 2-year increments with a simple electronic form on internet.

I think they have/are changing even that requirement.

And by senior professionals they don’t mean simple run of the mill professionals.
If you aren’t Superman or greater, you probably won’t get it. Either Superman or a person the government can parade around to show off how open they are.

If someone appeals a denial you will get told that you have no right of appeal.

Source: me after arguing with govt departments for 3 years.

1 Like

The extra special super duper ones.

Translation: 50 years residence or more, famous in some way, clergy about to croak.

2 Likes

Change in the works to no requirement.

1 Like

Y dale…:crazy_face::wall:

???

Guy

Details, please.

That the new legislation being discussed will lift the residency limits alltogether. The draft says so. Once you get the permanent residency, you won’t be constrained to an x amount of days to live in Taiwan. Lets see if itvis approved like that.

7 Likes

Oh, I thought you meant no requirement to renounce previous citizenships.

Well that will help me out a lot pity I can’t vote for whoever it was who drafted it !But maybe I can persuade at least 30 people to vote for his party instead