Pan-Blue Conspiracy Theories, E-mail Rumors & Hoaxes

Light saber, it was definitely a light saber.

Light saber, it was definitely a light saber.[/quote]

Use the Force, Luke.

Sorry. Kinda obligatory.

OK. The hole in the windshield was created artificially by first drilling a small hole in the safety glass, then filling the hole with a small explosive and a detonator that was fired by a remote control unit somewhere in the Jeeps’ dashboard. It wouldn’t have to be very big, and could be filled over with some sort of polymer, or even what the movie special effects people call “candy glass”. The knee wound was achieved much the same way. A squib could be planted under some realistic looking make-up, and exploded at the appropriate moment. A small, non life threatening wound would ensue and everybody would be fooled.

Mr Chen’s belly wound was created by surgically planting a thin wire under his skin, and wipping it out at the right time and speed to cut through his flesh. A local anesthetic before hand would cover the pain. The wire is made from a special phosfourous(sp) material that disintegrates when exposed to air.

And I’m going to go smoke another one

Obviously he shot himself and hypontised himself to stop the bleeding until the exact moment he thought about sex with his wife.

Not very often I might add, since the average male thinks about sex every 5 seconds. Chen apparently can go for about 5 years without a dirty thought.

you would think someone who staged an assassination attempt with the intent of garnering sympathy would have done it in more dramatic fashion than a blood stain on his jacket, walking into the ER, and releasing pictures of a superficial skin wound, meanwhile trying to play down the whole incident and asking for calm and for the nation to carry on with business as usual. you would think.

you would think if it was to be a staged show for sympathy, it would have been a dramatic scene with him speaking at a rally, and then suddenly clutching his shoulder in pain, and gobs of blood spurting out, and secret service guys running around as he was dramatically whisked away on an amubulance with sirens blaring. and then would come the TV clips of him lying in his hospital bed near death, but exhorting the taiwanese faithful to carry on, to fight the good fight, and to show the blues and the red commies by voting the DPP to victory, etc.
at least that’s how i would stage an assassination attempt for sympathy. so either the DPP needs acting lessons really badly, or the conspiracy theory is just a crock of sh-t being perpetuated by bitter blues desperately reaching for ANYTHING to stop their spiralling fall into the abyss of defeat.

i think it’s the latter.

[quote=“carson71”]you would think if it was to be a staged show for sympathy, it would have been a dramatic scene with him speaking at a rally, and then suddenly clutching his shoulder in pain, and gobs of blood spurting out, and secret service guys running around as he was dramatically whisked away on an amubulance with sirens blaring. and then would come the TV clips of him lying in his hospital bed near death, but exhorting the Taiwanese faithful to carry on, to fight the good fight, and to show the blues and the red commies by voting the DPP to victory, etc.
[/quote]

hehe, you forget the dramatic background music.

oh yes, how could i forget the dramatic background music that is so quintessential to the taiwanese political rallies. yes, the music would transition from “believe in taiwan” to some omninous music played in minor key as he was being carried away, just to complete the dramatic effect, you know, so as to convince more of those naive taiwanese that he really is wounded and stuff.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Obviously he shot himself and hypontised himself to stop the bleeding until the exact moment he thought about sex with his wife.

Not very often I might add, since the average male thinks about sex every 5 seconds. Chen apparently can go for about 5 years without a dirty thought.[/quote]

Didn’t Chen have himself sterilized after the incident? I remember hearing this from somewhere, but after a google/yahoo/yahoo.com.tw search I still can’t find anything…hm

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Obviously he shot himself and hypontised himself to stop the bleeding until the exact moment he thought about sex with his wife.

Not very often I might add, since the average male thinks about sex every 5 seconds. Chen apparently can go for about 5 years without a dirty thought.[/quote]

Why are you so obsessed with President Chen’s sex life? Who gives a damn who Chen boffs and when? It’s his own business! At least he isn’t suppressing dissidents, shutting down magazines, harassing, imprisoning, torturing, and killing the locals, like another Party I know used to.

It’s a bad sign when you are obsessed with other people’s sex lives. I think it is time to get one of your own, AC.

Vorkosigan

Vorkosigan,

Because all healthy males needs one. It’s an asian concept I guess. Not like the USA where we’ll try to impeach a president over the issue.

“dissidents, shutting down magazines, harassing, imprisoning, torturing, and killing the locals”

Not to be argumentative…however, I do believe Chen issued an executive order to shut down a magazine when it did a story about a secret slush fund used to buy international recognition for the island.

The rest of the sins you listed can be logically explained. Let’s say you were religious refugees and sailed a boat to a new land. Who else are you going to prosecute, imprision, and kill to establish a new authority. The natives of course. The USA is a prime example of that kind of history.

The analogy then becomes. If we gave the power to the blacks or native americans in the USA. Would they be mature enough to use the power continually keep USA as the #1 nation. Or would they squander it on lesser enthic issues like slavery and land theft.

Fruitloop posted under “Truth for Bulletgate” ad in Taipei Times:
The following is a letter written to the Taipei Times which may or may not be published. I can’t be bothered to reformat the ideas more appropriately for here, so here it is in letter form.

The audacity of the “pan blue supporters” in their advert on page 5 of Thursday’s Taipei Times is breathtaking.

Apparently, “36 hours before the vote, all independent polls showed [Chen was] still trailing by 5 to 10%”. As I understand it, publishing opinion polls in the last week of the campaign is illegal in Taiwan. I am not aware of any independent polls taken in the last week having been published after the election. Any unpublished, private polls taken for the political parties do not constitute “independent polls”. On calling the number given, when I asked which polls they were refering to they didn’t seem entirely sure.

A week before the election, it appeared Lien was probably roughly 2% ahead, by no means enough for an opposition candidate to be confident of victory given the swing to the incumbant that often occurs in the last week of election campaigns. There was no real consensus in the polls with both sides offering conflicting data. One doubts the sophistication of the opinion polling organisations, having had only ten to fifteen years to practice their art. Polls conducted by organisations with decades of experience have been spectacularly wrong in mature democracies.

Apparently, “Underground gambling organisations were offering 2 to 1 odds against [Chen]”. The obvious question is of course, how do they know? This question was answered however when I was told that they know people in underground gambling organisations. No surprise there then. What they appear to have missed is that they have underlined the most plausible explanation for the shooting. Not politics, but money.

Hiding behind the disclaimer “People say” the advert says “you and your camp staged the gun-shot incident in a desperate attempt to turn around the election.” This is a cowardly attempt to smear using hearsay and Goebbels theory “Tell a big enough lie often enough and people will believe you”. Given Soong’s past as minister of information perhaps these tactics are not too surprising. What is surprising is their amateurishness.

These are of course very serious allegations and if they prove to be true few would disagree that Chen is absolutely not fit to be president. If they prove to be untrue then a humble apology will be in order. To accuse someone of cheating in an election campaign is serious. To accuse someone who has been shot of staging it for personal gain is as serious as it gets. Fortunately I was informed by the people I spoke to that an apology would be in order and they simply want the truth. I was not told whether this would be in the form of an equally large advert in the Taipei Times. I was also told that they trusted in Dr Henry Lee’s investigation. What room this leaves for further investigations is not clear.

The truth about this advert is that it is a cheap and unaccountable attempt at slander through hearsay drawing on dubious and unsubstantiated sources. No references were given to specific polls. For obvious reasons no references were given to the contacts in underground gambling organisations. No details were given of what was meant by “Taiwan’s Warren Commission” and no details were given of the advertiser.

My favorite rumor is the one going around about Taiwan being a “real” country. Now that’s a good one.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Fruitloop posted under “Truth for Bulletgate” ad in Taipei Times:
The following is a letter written to the Taipei Times which may or may not be published. [/quote]
taipeitimes.com/News/edit/ar … 2003157161

:notworthy:

Great letter, which poster actually wrote it?

Mea culpa.

I suppose if you follow the above link my cover is blown, and unlike the “Bulletgate” advert, I will be accountable. I was never much into these anonymous web identities anyway.

[quote=“fruitloop”]Mea culpa.

I suppose if you follow the above link my cover is blown, and unlike the “Bulletgate” advert, I will be accountable. I was never much into these anonymous web identities anyway.[/quote][color=indigo]Well, you did send a letter to a paper we all read, and told us about it beforehand. You could always say someone copied it from here and sent it in…[/color]

well done that man…i bestow upon you the honorary order of the maroon bear with auspicious pink clouds…

:notworthy: :thumbsup: :beer:

Has anyone seen a copy of the “Bulletgate” that KMT sent out to US congressmen?

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003179303

I think this would be a great addition to my collection of comicbooks and satirical magazines, but what a loss of face to Taiwan to have this sort of drivel circulating overseas.