Parler; anyone joined it yet?

Bigly

1 Like

Oh, yeah. Iā€™m just the kind of sucker that falls for these things once they get taken away from me.
Namely, I was extremely attracted by the thought, what kinda crazy must be going on that Google, a company and platform with an insane amount of power, feels the need to ban a tiny platform like Parler from their store? This is a lot bigger than banning one person.

Your comment about Apple is interesting. From the CNN article: ā€œGoogleā€™s decision follows a report by BuzzFeed News that Apple has threatened to remove Parler from the iOS App Store.ā€ Was Google trying to one-up Apple, thus showing their ideological superiority?

The reason for the ban as cited by CNN is that ā€œapps displaying user generated content [need to] have moderation policies in place to prevent the spread of violent rhetoric.ā€ From what I can tell, Parler does have moderation policies in place, but their rules around what content gets flagged or not are different than from other platforms. What Google has done is censor an entire discourse because they didnā€™t like their ideology. This is about much more than Trump and will be an issue long after heā€™s out of the picture.

I think Googleā€™s move was excessive. But itā€™s the trend of how these big platforms are treating opinions they donā€™t agree with or think are threatening, and the trend will most likely escalate. So Parler may really take off - not sure yet cause I only just started using it. But I can understand the drive behind it.

Seems like thereā€™s a lot of Christian stuff on Parler. Is that why you all donā€™t like it?

2 Likes

Of course I do, but both having this population in the same place, and legal access to personal info, letā€™s just say it ā€˜lubricatesā€™ the process for law enforcement.

I think you misunderstand. Everyone likes it. Anti-Trumpers are happy heā€™s going there with his fans, parler execs are happy because theyā€™re going there, law enforcement gets relative one shop stopping, and then the Trumpers are happy because they will think theyā€™re in a place where they can say anything and there are no consequences.

And believe me, when like minded people are put into a circlejerk situation where they think nobodyā€™s going to touch them, they start to feel emboldened. When that happens, parler will want to stay functioning.

Mick is so right about the NSA, but it is so much easier for them to open up their curiousity box when they have your legally obtained personal info on demand from the siterunner.

Thatā€™s why they say this perfect storm of circumstances, the personal info surrendered, the group migrating there, and what typically happens in an echo chamberā€¦makes for for honey-est of pots. :honey_pot:

feels the need to ban a tiny platform like Parler from their store? This is a lot bigger than banning one person.

They probably donā€™t want to risk enabling extremist conditions, is my guess, like they wouldnā€™t want to put the ISIS recruitment app on there either.

2 Likes

Basically typical government overreach with no legal oversight. What else is new.

Yes , I joined a few months back when it was still on Google play. It is more like Twitter but you can type more. Not as good as Facebook but in its early days still. Just type in ā€œDownload Parlerā€. I do not use the Google browser much now i generally use" Duck Duck Go".

Linked to big tech corporatist amazon apparently, so the Khmer Rouge will probably cancel it.

When did amazon launch in Cambodia?

1 Like

Ask Chuck Schemer and nutcase Pelosi.

6 Likes

So letā€™s pressure them to be consistent on China. I agree with that. But this isnā€™t a reason that Trump should be allowed to keep spouting his BS.

Hopefully Forumosa will continue to fly under Big Techā€™s watchful eye. Plenty of Trump supporters spouting unapproved ideas here so it meets the current criterion for elimination.

Wishful thinking.

Bad news for parlererers, the revolution of words will have to be postponed for now.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1348089793213837319?s=20

https://twitter.com/b_fung/status/1348101026998583297?s=20

You know what they say, 98th time is the charm.

Iā€™ve no idea why Iā€™ve been linked to. Itā€™s bit cryptic.

:thinking:

2 Likes

That is the fastest way to incriminate yourself.:sunglasses:

I donā€™t think replying there would constitute a confession, or evidence.
Not replying definitely guarantees no pardon, however!

Does the pardon extend to situations or groups not just people for example ā€œI pardon anyone for trespass on ā€¦Day, Date, Place.ā€?

Not sure, youā€™d have to ask the Orange One.