Passive aggressive phrases in emails

Do you ever write these phrases?

some of them, and not always in a passive aggressive context (her writing is very limited here)

and sometimes a little passive aggressiveness is useful, deserved and even necessary

anyways, this woman of color has made a career out of self promotion (i poked around her website a little bit when i saw she is a “leadership expert” because i have a lot of opinions about that concept). good for her (trademark)

3 Likes

I completely agree with that.
I do as well. I feel that most of the “passive aggressive” perception is by the reader who may assume things/tones that are not there.

1 Like

For future reference: Passive aggressiveness doesn’t always have to be a bad thing… :wink:

2 Likes

Sometimes I will listen to an entire podcast by a leadership expert and hear the grand sum of f@ck all. Brenee Brown is a leading exponent in talking without saying much at all.
I think, ‘just so we are on the same page,’ is a useful and assertive phrase.
The one I can’t stand is, “I want you to know that I am listening to what you are saying.” The tautologists orgasm.

2 Likes

Could you provide examples? I find passive aggression is worse than aggression.

But is aggression always bad?

Pretty much. It’s a loss of control. Passive aggression the same. Passive aggression is more dishonest than aggression.

Edit: The war of Jenkins Ear is an extreme example of how passive aggression leads to aggression.

i disagree

Brown nailed a TED talk then…needed more so kept saying the same thing over and over again using more words. Simon Sinek, though he does have some interesting ideas is similar.

The email line that I dislike is a ‘kind/soft/gentle/mindful/easy/friendly reminder’. I am entirely fine with “we told you three weeks ago and now it’s due - don’t forget”.

3 Likes

i always enjoy it when women chase me aggressively. doesn’t happen often.

3 Likes

What about in self-defense? If passive aggression is the most effective tool for me to defend against aggression, is it not fair to use it?

1 Like

Like giving a sarcastic tongue lashing when confronted by an armed assailant?
:laughing:

jk

2 Likes

Disagreement is healthy. I’m glad to hear we don’t agree. :hugs:

1 Like

this comes off as passive aggressive…

1 Like

Assertion is always the best tool. Can you think of an example where passive aggression would be the most effective tool against aggression?

No, just thinking. Maybe you’re right and assertion is always better.

I’m sure you are resilient to disagreement.

:grimacing:

1 Like

Just to be on the same page, passive aggression can sometimes be a good alternative to real aggression. So going forward, I think I do not need to provide further examples.

In case anyone didn’t get it: My first reply picked up one of the phrases from the article. This reply another two. So mostly just joking.

2 Likes