Pelosi visiting Taiwan in August 2022

Impossible. Israel has nukes. Taiwan does not. It’s a moot point.

I am not saying I agree with Friedman! :joy:

Guy

He believes the world (or the earth) is flat. That’s the fountain of reality he drinks from.

And also that free trade with China would make it democratic. Not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

1 Like

It’s election year. Midterm is in November and the democrats aren’t looking good to re-take the house. This is most likely her last term as the speaker of the house. Plus, this trip can help democrats win some votes or, at the least, give Madam speaker one last trip to Asia to flung her prowess.

2 Likes

And more to the point: backing down after Beijing screeches would simply hand ammunition to the Republicans. Pelosi can instead pull a Duckworth (love that Senator!) and show up at Songshan outside the formal itinerary.

Guy

who wanted?
be clearer

The US needs to show support for Taiwan. Not showing support for Taiwan could also encourage China to attack.

2 Likes

My main point is that, as Friedman indicates, the US should not be opening up a second proxy-war with China at this time, when it is already struggling with Ukraine and a battle with Russia. The West’s error was getting sucked into the Ukraine conflict when they should have been focusing on the China threat

The US doesnt want war.

Pelosi just wants to visit Taiwan.

Last I checked China doesnt control Taiwan and US congress is Taiwans most important supporter.

1 Like

Its also an election year for the DPP, who could possibly have paid her.

This is true, the discussion is whether its the best way and at the best time.

On another note, I thought this was a great speech and on point.

China is not handling this well. Blustering on about Taiwan in the face of relentless salami slicing tactics makes them look silly and weak.

They would be better to supply offensive strike weapons/missiles to Cuba, Venezuela or Nicaragua. Along with layered anti air/missile systems.

Top that off with “nuclear ambiguity” as to whether the missiles in Cuba are nuke tipped.

1 Like

You mean “paid her husband” wink wink

This will never happen. The liberal hegemony will retaliate in a heart beat. Do not forget the Monroe Doctrine.

The markets react

1 Like

The only people talking war are in the PRC. That’s their discourse, their framing. Here in Taiwan we’ve heard it a trillion times.

Guy

The thing is, it’s already close to war now. It’s all about talking your enemy off balance. Strike from unexpected quarters.

Winning hearts and minds by bellowing and screeching?

Who exactly is being swayed in this way?

Guy

What do you expect. It’s foreign policy where the great powers flex. In all truth, there is no governor when it comes to foreign policy. It’s as real as it gets. Look at Ukraine. Putin has been warning since 2008 about NATO expansion. People foolishly ignore him and was shocked when he annex Crimea and now invading Ukraine. Putin and his crew are 19 century minded people…we’d be foolish to think otherwise and Ukraine clearly shows this.

3 Likes