Pelosi visiting Taiwan in August 2022

Is there a competition now who can go to taiwan first?

3 Likes

Classic case of wolf warrior policy making it worse for China. They will never learn.

2 Likes

I see it so unlikely that something would happen to an official in the presidential line of succession that it is negligible. As China keeps telling to other countries not to interfere with their decision, as a sovereign country, the US and anyone else shouldn’t be impeded to make their own decisions. Having said so, everyone must own the consequences of their action, so if the US want to show how big is their stick, they need to go all the way, not being a wuss

1 Like

These things pile up. Look at the first world-war, it started because of a series of micro-events. This will definitely cause tensions and definitely will make unecessary trouble.

There is literally no point to this trip. Is Peloisi getting paid like Pompeo?

1 Like

If only I can stomach his other foreign policy positions…

Also isn’t he one of the January 6 people?

Aside from raising Taiwan’s visibility.

Appeasement is even worse.

2 Likes

What does that even mean?

Right, but is suggesting that.

not that a finger pointing game is good, but if we were to talk about micro events leading up to a future war, I think china takes the cake.

it’s important to go to show support for the country of Taiwan, important to show the CCP they dont control the US government and it shows that other nations have the right to talk, communicate, trade and be friends. not going does the opposite of all that.

if anything, Biden should come and declare they recognize Taiwan and stop beating around the Bush.

2 Likes

What?

I think it was supposed to be “[who] is suggesting that?”

They can’t do that. They are treaty bound to not interfere in the China-Taiwan situation unless one side makes a unilateral change in the status quo.

So what? It doesnt matter. The US doesnt have guns aimed at China. The only one who can actually start a war is Beijing.

Yeah…No

Taiwan itself would have to declare independence. Unless want the US to recognize the ROC

Anyway all this keyboard hawk stuff is great. But there are real-life implications to actions.

1 Like

Many are worried china will give a strong reaction to her visit. I think china will but more towards US than Taiwan. Yeah maybe increase more fighter jets incursion and gray zone tactics but not too much. I think its brecause how silent Taiwan is in this matter. Tsai ing wen is smart. She isnt going out boasting about it. Is just say she welcomes anyone who wanna visit and thats about it. It saves their face in the end like its the US who wanna come to taiwan and not so much about Taiwan inviting US to come.

Also Only When taiwan declare formal independence or US recognise taiwan formal independence is when something really really big will come from China. Neither US or Taiwan hinting anything regarding it

Its an interesting set of events for sure. Now pelosi comes or not, Taiwan is in news again and thats always good

1 Like

It would take months for china to be ready for war. People that want to leave will all have plenty of time. You can’t just drive tanks in like into Ukraine

Biden should come as well, and no he should NOT announce it in advance.

this is true. the bigger problem is there are real world implications to inactions as well. China has been real open about their intentions. perhaps we disagree, but I find those intentions to be incredibly bad. there is little reason to keep waiting and stalling to let them get stronger unless one agrees with their goals.

1 Like

It’s like what are they going to do? Threats to invade card has already been played on a daily basis for decades. More threats?

2 Likes