People driving scooters through crowded markets

Why do people do this here? Do they not think at all about other people? Yesterday I even saw a scooter hit an old man with his mirror trying to get his scooter through the crowded market. Looked like it really hurt.

1 Like

Yup - long-standing issue.

3 Likes

Here in Yingge its the same, though as a ‘concession’ in the days prior to CNY they close the street, but just to cars, so the scooters have it all to themselves. I didn’t bother going there yesterday (raining) or today (sunny but brass monkey wind) to check.

I am waiting too see someone ride a scooter into a medical clinic, though its difficult in most cases as there are steps to negotiate.

1 Like

Breaking their actual lights would only get you fined, punching their lights out would get you jail time , and if you punched a gang member youd have to get out that market and never go back. All night markets are controlled by a gang. The gangs will usually congregate around the KTV .

Not all. If you want to go to legal night markets, just simply check out the city/county government’s websites.

2 Likes

Scooters aren’t supposed to drive through the market by us, but like everything else here, police don’t enforce the rule so everyone does it

1 Like

@Marco This is true in my experience, some of the regular wet markets too. Have a lot of friends and relatives with stalls in various places, and they all say it’s corrupt as hell, usually with some “boss” kind of guy running it

1 Like

I think it’s because some people here see scooters more as a bicycle rather than a vehicle and tend to be used as such, especially the older generation who would do everything on their bike, then upgraded to a scooter. the younger generations its just a combernation laziness and monkey see monkey do.

3 Likes

I’m gonna have to disagree there. I know which night markets are legal cause I did research in opening up a stand in them.

in my market it’s the old people going on scooters without regard to anyone else.

2 Likes

I’d have less problems with it if it wasn’t a bunch of people riding their shitty old scooters puffing out that nasty exhaust into the meat, fruits, and vegetables or them actually pushing you with their scooters and wonder why you don’t like that.

1 Like

You’re wrong.

I disagree.

Fine. (Personal comment removed)

Sure, I personally still know one of the bosses and drunk tea with him just last year, and did know one other, not in contact with the latter now.

1 Like

the 2 can coexist… you pay the government and the local boss for protection…
on a side note, friends of mine owned a bar, they said it’s either let cops drink for free, or let the gangsters drink for free…but you have to give favors to at least one of the above.

1 Like

There are government run night markets. They’re government owned.

1 Like

Firstly apologies for the “ignorant” comment in my forner post to you.
Yes, many are government owned, the management of the day to day affairs are run by the manager either government appointed or not. The other side is taken care off by crime bosses. However I do not want to say much more. Happy New,Year

Taiwan is not a democracy, it’s a scootercrazy.

This is one of the things that drives me nuts here. I hate going to the markets because of them.

3 Likes