Pet problem

Water ballons would be an ok middle ground…in my opinion. You’d still have good range…and no chance of harming anything. I’ve thrown bottles and rocks at loud people…but not at dogs.

[quote=“UKbikerchic”]so not only does this poor animal have to be tied up all day, now it’s getting fired apon by a man
~personal attack removed~

As said before why don’t you go and confront his owners, or would that be a little scary for you, much better to fire things from a distance.

I have been bitten by many dogs, but I still don’t resort to firing things at defenceless animals that are only mean because of the way thier terrible owners have treated them. I would speak to the owners and get something done. But then again I’m sure that isn’t as much fun as hiding in your yard and firing things at animals.

[/quote]

This is just going to go on all day isn’t it?

Look, lets make this simple:

Where I grew up, we took biting dogs out back and shot them in the head or to the vet where they were euthanized. End of story.

I did talk to the neighbors…They put his food dish at him from a distance. They can’t get near him either. The beast has been caged and never walked all his life. He’s nuts.

He then gets loose and will chase and bite anyone he sees. Except me. If you knew jack about dogs, which I’m suspecting neither one of you do, a dog like this needs to have an alpha figure to make him chill, which is all I’ve done. If you don’t like the methodolgy, then tough cookies.

Again, I cordially extend my invitation for either one of you to “meet” the animal in question. :loco: You can heap insults or question my “manhood” all day, but in the end I know who he’s going to bite first.

Tell you what: I’ll even pay for your transportation.

Come on…Please. Come up and kill this “foreigner abused animal with kindness”. We’ll all approach him together, and extend our hands in friendship. He’s going to lick one and bite the other. You wanna guess who’s going to walk away bleeding? :smiling_imp:

Only condition is I get to videotape the entire debacle, and post it here.

You up for it, or are you just content with internet sarcasm? Lets see who really does “hide behind the bushes” :wink:

A very nice day to you too UKbikerchic…

MJB, I know you like dogs.

Being an alpha does not involve firing marbles at 200 mph at the dog you want to lead. You are making the dog wary of you - not submissive to you. If you were truly an alpha over this dog, he wouldn’t be barking. End of story.

Your original post about firing missiles at the dog had nothing to do with biting - you state very clearly that you are shooting at the dog because of his barking.

If shooting a dog who bites is the best you can come up with, then I would say it is you who knows Jack about dogs. Where I come from, we imprison and fine people who know so little about dogs that they resort to torturing them to get what they want.

Use water. You will achieve the same effect, and it is more humane. I have 15 dogs in my house and a cat - most of the dogs would get very excited at the sight of a cat. They still do, but now they do so without making noise, simply because they got a harmless squirt from the hose. The key, as you probably already know, is not to harm or threaten the dog, but to distract him or her from the unwanted behaviour.

It seems to me that this dog bites because, for one, he feels he is constantly under threat of attack - a belief that you are, ironically, perpetuating.

This dog has what is called barrier frustration. When he is taunted by kids, he will want to ward them off with a bark. Being behind a fence or - worse - tied to a chain, prevents the dog scaring the kids away because they know he can’t get to them. The taunts continue, and the dog builds up a dangerous frustration at not being able to get to the kids (sometimes just to play) or ward them off successfully. Then, when he does get loose, the frustration causes him to chase down and perhaps even bite children. Shooting him with marbles or pepper will of course only make his frustration worse.

A sensible person would insist that the owner muzzles the dog and then arrange for him to be walked, to alleviate his frustration and resocialize him. The owner could also call in dog-behaviour experts. I’m pretty sure they would repeat what I said above about making the problem worse by torturing him. It may feel good to you, but by doing this you are putting your kid in greater danger. You are not making the dog submissive but instead more dangerous.

I understand it’s difficult to deal with irresponsible owners, but usually it is the most difficult path that takes you where you want to go.

Good luck with the problem and in finding a humane solution that really works.

Sean

[quote=“Stray Dog”]MJB, I know you like dogs.

If you were truly an alpha over this dog, he wouldn’t be barking. End of story.

If shooting a dog who bites is the best you can come up with, then I would say it is you who knows Jack about dogs. Where I come from, we imprison and fine people who know so little about dogs that they resort to torturing them to get what they want.

Use water. You will achieve the same effect, and it is more humane.
It seems to me that this dog barks all day because he feels he is constantly under threat of attack - a belief that you are, ironically, perpetuating.

Sean[/quote]

Sean, you are right, I do like dogs.

This dog doesn’t bark anymore…And again, please, come up and look before you judge. When this dog gets loose, I HAVE TO GO AND GET IT.

My method may seem barbaric, but in this case it worked. I can approach this animal without being bitten, for the simple fact he knows what will happen if he does.

This internet character assasination stuff is interesting. I’ve been posting here for nearly 3 years, and have never really gotten into with anyone, over anything, until today. It’s exhausting frankly, and frustrating. I doubt I’ll ever get to sit in the same room with UBbikerchic for example, because in her eyes (and maybe yours too) I’ll simply be that “dog torturing bastard” :s It’s a real shame.

I think I’m done here.

[quote=“MJB”]

This internet character assasination stuff is interesting. I’ve been posting here for nearly 3 years, and have never really gotten into with anyone, over anything, until today. It’s exhausting frankly, and frustrating.
I think I’m done here. [/quote]

Welcome to my world. :frowning:

We all have our own views. I expressed mine. as far as i’m concerned anyone who fires anything harmful at an animal is cruel and cowardice.

There are ways of solving problems and being part of the problem isn’t one of them.

Your first post to me was bragging about a piece of machinary that could do harm to animals. In no way did i read that you were trying to teach this animals who is the alfa male and to teach it to be quiet.
Later you have tried to explain yourself, but to me you will always be the person who fires marbles at animals.

I haven’t been in the forum as long as you and i very rarely make posts, but i have been in Taiwan for quiet a few years and i have seen many things that make me sick. I have also heard many foriegners speaking about the terrible way that the locals treat thier animals, some do something about it, by education and reasoning, some go another way and in my eyes do a worse job than the locals. Others stand by and let it all happen while moaning about it over a beer in the pub.

If you did meet me i would explain to you again exactly why i have these views and why i believe that you are wrong and cruel to take such action on a dog.

MJB,

I have been following this conversation but I have not posted for two reasons. The first reason is that I have read a whole lot of your posts here and found them all to be very solid. The other reason is that when I read the words marble and 200 miles per hour, I was blown away and my first reaction would have been to post something nasty.

In my mind, that’s enough to kill a horse if the marble was to hit the horse’s skull. I was thinking I sure hope MJB can aim well with his toy because a slight error while aiming could cause death, if not worse like brain damage, paralysis, etc.

Please think about it, while the responses you got here were frustrating to you, I think you’re able to understand that hearing about someone shooting a dog with marbles at speeds of 200 miles per hour is very frustrating to some of us.

Cheers,

bobepine

Well, what do you do if you can’t trace the owner - or if the owner can’t control the dog?

That’s fairly normal here.

I have a dog shitting in my garden and digging up my lawn.
Runs away every time I see it. I don’t know the owner, and don’t know where the owner lives.

Should I say - OK not the dogs fault?

No way. Even though the dog knows it’s not trespassing, it’s trespassing, and I will use the methods I se fit to keep it out.

It it leads to the dug getting slightly hurt? Tough shit.

[quote=“Mr He”]
It it leads to the dug getting slightly hurt? Tough shit.[/quote]Slightly hurt? I don’t know about you but if you shot me with that slight shot, I think it would be extremely painful and a far cry from slight pain. A marble flying at 200 miles per hour, slightly hurt? :astonished:

bobepine

[quote=“UKbikerchic”]so not only does this poor animal have to be tied up all day, now it’s getting fired apon by a man

As said before why don’t you go and confront his owners[color=blue], or would that be a little scary for you,[/color] much better to fire things from a distance.

[color=blue]I have been bitten by many dogs,[/color] but I still don’t resort to firing things at defenceless animals that are only mean because of the way thier terrible owners have treated them. I would speak to the owners and get something done. But then again I’m sure that isn’t as much fun as hiding in your yard and firing things at animals.

[/quote]

First.

I’ve known MJB for a number of years. He has no problem at all with confrontation. The results can be a bit messy sometimes but overall he is not a violent type at all.

Second.

Around a month ago MJB was bitten on the leg by a different dog. Turns out he was talking on the phone and backed into the guard dogs bowl while it was eating so it took a chunk of his leg. He showed me the dog on a later visit and explained it was his fault and the poor dog even looked apologetic after biting him.

If he was the ghastly soul some of you are picturing he would have kicked the crap out of the dog.

MJB,
Don’t let the pet crusaders’ comments upset you. Actually, I think you showed a lot of restraint not killing the dog.

If I dog bit my daughter in my house or garden, I would not show that kind of restraint.

Honestly, the police would be sent after the owner, and I would push what I could for a grisly end for the dog.

When I was a small child a cat I was petting scratched my face. My mom picked it up by the tail and beat its head against the sidewalk until it died. My mom spent the first 10 years of her working life…working with animals. She loved dogs. Didn’t care so much for cats…I guess.

Sean, you know as well as I do that in the case MJB mentioned – irresponsible owners and a loose dog that bites a child – the dog would almost certainly be killed in the UK. Do they still get two chances? I don’t think so but I could be wrong.
The rest of your post is spot on though.
MJB, its obvious what’s happening here. That cute li’l Ninjette is bringing you bad luck, maaaan. Bad karma there. Best do the sensible thing and pass it on to someone less sensitive.

[quote=“almas john”]MJB,
Don’t let the pet crusaders’ comments upset you. Actually, I think you showed a lot of restraint not killing the dog.[/quote]

Hey MJB,

I agree with almas john.

I’ll even buy the marbles for you.

Your mother has some serious issues, then. What a truly scummy thing to do. Sounds like something out of a psycho movie. Or a video game.

I know MJB and I had to wait a while before responding - I know he’s one of the good guys.

Beings are beings, be they human or non-human. If I had been badly treated by my guardians, neglected to the point of howling at the sky, I would not want to be abused for this; this is the courtesy I would extend to non-human animals.

The argument changed from barking dogs to biting dogs. Boasting about further tormenting a frustrated dog is wrong, because it is immoral as well as unelpful - or even worsening the situation.

If you believe that a ‘nuisance’ deserves such dangerous punishment, then I will have no sympathy for you when your neighbours gang up on you because you, the foreigner, are deemed a nuisance in their eyes, for whatever alien habit you practice that annoys them. If they start using physical violence against you, perhaps even shooting BB guns or marbles at you, then MJB, Mr He, and Durins Bane, how do you think I will react?

I will stand up for you and if given the chance would educate the perpetrators as to the error of their ways - just as I am doing now.

If it were a gangster making noise all day, you would not dare fire missiles at him. You would go and talk to him, or his boss, just as Durins Bane did in a previous thread. You would not play the big guy like you are able to with a dangerous weapon and a missile, and an animal that you feel superior to.

Have fun with your animal cruelty - I honestly expected greater things of all of you.

Sean

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I know MJB and I had to wait a while before responding - I know he’s one of the good guys.

Beings are beings, be they human or non-human. If I had been badly treated by my guardians, neglected to the point of howling at the sky, I would not want to be abused for this; this is the courtesy I would extend to non-human animals.

The argument changed from barking dogs to biting dogs. Boasting about further tormenting a frustrated dog is wrong, because it is immoral as well as unelpful - or even worsening the situation.

If you believe that a ‘nuisance’ deserves such dangerous punishment, then I will have no sympathy for you when your neighbours gang up on you because you, the foreigner, are deemed a nuisance in their eyes, for whatever alien habit you practice that annoys them. If they start using physical violence against you, perhaps even shooting BB guns or marbles at you, then MJB, Mr He, and Durins Bane, how do you think I will react?

I will stand up for you and if given the chance would educate the perpetrators as to the error of their ways - just as I am doing now.

If it were a gangster making noise all day, you would not dare fire missiles at him. You would go and talk to him, or his boss, just as Durins Bane did in a previous thread. You would not play the big guy like you are able to with a dangerous weapon and a missile, and an animal that you feel superior to.

Have fun with your animal cruelty - I honestly expected greater things of all of you.

Sean[/quote]

The dog bit MJB’s kid. Dogs that bite kids warrant the death penalty.

MJB showed a lot of restraint…more than I would have. And I applaud him for that.

Stray Dog…maybe it’s you who needs to be educated?

[quote=“Durins Bane”]

The dog bit MJB’s kid. Dogs that bite kids warrant the death penalty.

MJB showed a lot of restraint…more than I would have. And I applaud him for that.

Stray Dog…maybe it’s you who needs to be educated? [/quote]

But he didn’t state that in the beginning…did he? You don’t mess with a parent’s child. And sandman…if the scratch had been a bit to the side…I could’ve had my eye damaged. Mother’s will protect their children no matter what. My mother was just being over protective…that’s all. And I love her for it.

That was not necessary. Why ridiculising people who give their time helping helpless animals? You may reply to say that you did not intend to come off that way but my feedback to your post is that it’s in really poor taste. I feel strongly about that because I just recently founded an animal welfare organisation and I am humbled and touched to see what some people are willing to do to help animals. You may call us “pet crusaders” if you like, even though there’s no damn crusades happening. What I see is a whole lot of people who are generous, kind-hearted and who put forth an effort to make a difference and help the very problems belgian pie and MJB are going through…No?

Please do not put sticks in your own wheels…

bobepine