Petty offender teaches English as community service

“Taipei, Aug. 9 (CNA) A Canadian English teacher is grateful at not having to serve a jail term or pay a heavy fine for drunk driving, instead being sentenced to 300 hours of community service teaching English to disadvantaged children, an official of the Chiayi District Prosecutors Office said over the weekend.”
focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_ … 1008090031

Fess up, who is it? (:

The article lists the offender’s name as “John”. That narrows it down considerably.

I thought all teachers in Taiwan were petty offenders? :smiley:

I like the program though - community service makes more sense than simply filling up the jail cells.

I’d rather do the jail time.

It’s nice to see them going easy on him CoughAlmascoughJohnCough

Thats if 300 hours, or 13 hours per day with no weekends is going easy (:

Isn’t Almas a Kiwi? The article says it is a Canadian.

I hope these kids aren’t preschoolers or there will be hell to pay!

Do these underprivileged kids attend a licensed language school?

Isn’t Almas a Kiwi? The article says it is a Canadian.[/quote]
You’re right. Unless, of course, he only told them he was Canadian!

[quote=“sulavaca”]I hope these kids aren’t preschoolers or there will be hell to pay!

Do these underprivileged kids attend a licensed language school?[/quote]
Imagine the FAP rocking up there to do a routine inspection and he gets knobbed again for teaching at a school without a work permit. :roflmao:

The children are already disadvantaged and now they have to do 300 hours of classes with a drunk Canadian English teacher.

No fair! :hand:

My goodness…after a long-standing drought, finally a Canadian makes it to the news in Taiwan. :laughing: :laughing: But shit, a three week camp for free? I’d almost rather go to jail for a week than be forced into such indentured servitude. 300 hours for free? That’s a lot of free lessons.

In a Taiwanese jail you will be put 25 people to a cell, and on top of that you must work 12 hours a day just to earn your room/board.

Is pettiness a crime now?

Drunk driving ought to be punished by caning, not English teaching. A totally preventable offense. I think he got off way too easy.

In a Taiwanese jail you will be put 25 people to a cell, and on top of that you must work 12 hours a day just to earn your room/board.[/quote]

It is something developed countries can learn from IMHO. Better than giving them a degree and paying $60,000/year for their upkeep. I like Asian-style justice. :thumbsup:

In a Taiwanese jail you will be put 25 people to a cell, and on top of that you must work 12 hours a day just to earn your room/board.[/quote]

It is something developed countries can learn from IMHO. Better than giving them a degree and paying $60,000/year for their upkeep. I like Asian-style justice. :thumbsup:[/quote]

QFT

The trouble with caning is some people like it. It would just be an incentive to commit crime for many British males.

Well, if we’re talking about males, forced housecleaning would be awful enough, I’m sure. :smiley:

I wonder how legal this is, because it is illegal for a foreigner to do charity work or work without a work permit.

He’s not doing charity work or working. He’s performing community service, which is a form of sentence. Plus, he might be married with a JFRV or be the holder of an APRC.