Pfizer gain of function research

:laughing:

Iā€™d tune in. However, if he ever starts touting his own special VaxGuard Plus, ClotShot Clearer or JabDefense supplements at $49.95 a pop, Iā€™m out.

1 Like

One of the main reasons I watched him in the first place - even though he was very much on the vaccine side of the aisle - is that he came across as completely honest. He didnā€™t have any sponsorship breaks, didnā€™t have any apparent axe to grind or a product to sell, and even though I thought he was dead wrong about the vax, he was making a sincere attempt to look at the data. And eventually he saw what was in the data.

He does, incidentally, have a series of very accessible textbooks and videos about physiology and pathology (written years ago, but a lot of it is still relevant). Well worth reading for anyone who wants to know how stuff actually works, as opposed to accepting what CNN thinks about the way stuff works.

I agree. What heā€™s done should be required watching for any of the pro-Covid vaxxers, at bare minimum. They wonā€™t find a more impartial individual. Tinfoil hatter, he ainā€™t. Heā€™s one of the few that has actually looked at the straight-up official data and gone, ā€œWut?ā€

1 Like

Bret and Heather Weinstein covered this yesterday. Starts at 53:20 (you might also be interested in the first bit, about Scott Adams, at 17:30).

These guys are evolutionary biologists and they know their stuff. Their take is that Walker is talking bollocks, and their conclusion is something that Iā€™ve been groping towards: if Walker is actually employed by Pfizer in the position that he says heā€™s in, he may simply be a useful idiot. A plant, a placeholder, a buffer between the very-high-level individuals who are controlling company strategy in a malicious direction (and perhaps are operating a ā€œneed to knowā€ policy to keep that strategy in the hands of a few select individuals), and the low-level functionaries who get stuff done. The fact that he claims to have been lying as his get-out-of-jail card is damning in itself.

He quite clearly doesnā€™t have the brains or the temperament to be director of anything, so one has to wonder (again, assuming this isnā€™t all a complete fabrication) how heā€™s even in this position.

The timestamp is set at their concluding remarks. Just wind it back to 3200s if you want to see the whole dissection.

1 Like

Thomas Midgely Jr. Following the science.

2 Likes

Very likely. I suspect heā€™s got very little actual responsibility at all. To me he appears far too unstable. Probably got the job just to tick some boxes.

Side note: The cat seems to not give a shit.

1 Like

I had to google that.

Bill Bryson remarked that Midgley possessed ā€œan instinct for the regrettable that was almost uncannyā€. Fred Pearce, writing for New Scientist, described Midgley as a ā€œone-man environmental disaster.ā€

:smile:
Wonder if people will be saying similar things about Bourla and his ilk 50 years from now.

2 Likes

This is how they have been getting away with it so far. And I bet no matter how much proof there is, everyone gets away with some fines and scapegoats and the goldfish will keep on forgetting (more likely denying).

I dunno. I think thatā€™s a little unfair. Thereā€™s definitely a certain segment of the population who will just do anything theyā€™re told and believe anything theyā€™re told. There are also those who relish the prospect of dictatorship, because although it involves handing over control of your own life, you simultaneously acquire great power over your neighbours (if you want to hurt them, all you have to do is dob them in to the secret police). This is a big motivator for a certain sort of personality.

At this point, though, I think theyā€™re in a distinct minority. Iā€™d say 60-70% of the population in the West has had enough of all this and doesnā€™t like the look of where itā€™s going. Yes, ā€œTheyā€ are going to keep getting away with it, but IMO the driving factor now in public compliance is a combination of fear, apathy, and a basic desire to ā€œdo the right thingā€. Most people obey the law, even when they know the law is stupid, counterproductive, or immoral. And most people know that the law is an immovable object, however stupid, counterproductive, or immoral it might (objectively) be. Theyā€™ll go along with it all because itā€™s the path of least resistance.

Interesting timing on this one, what?

1 Like