Pickled Onions, Vegetable etc

As long as you keep an eye on it, you’ll be fine.
I’ve gotten mould a couple times but you learn lessons and change the method.
It’s very obvious if anything has gone wrong /if it goes off

2 Likes

Oh really? Didnt realize. I have never seen it much out side of the bigger cities. Now even in the sticks ahops are serving up.

That’s why I learned how to bake bread.

@Hanna. If you see in my pics, the veggies are held under the brine by a follower. This prevents them from coming into contact with the air and causing mold growth. If you use this method, climate won’t be a consideration. Temperature is though.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip. This whole pickling business is very interesting.

@bree You should host a class on this.

1 Like

Two words. Pickled eggs.

Worth pointing out here that there’s a difference between pickling and fermenting.

Pickling typically involves cooking your vegetables with a specific quantity of acid, salt, and sugar (raw-veg or blanched-veg pickles also exist, of course). The point is that the acid and salt prevent bacterial growth, and as mentioned by @Bree , if you keep everything held underneath the brine, you won’t get any mould.

Fermenting involves adding salt only, and then excluding air. Natural bacteria then produce the acid (and gas, which must escape). Often no sugar is added apart from whatever already exists in the starting material.

Both of these are very safe as long as you adhere to the recipe quantities of vinegar and salt.

2 Likes

Beet pickled eggs!
My phone tried to autocorrect that to beer. I guess my phone knows me.

2 Likes

Some pickles to brighton up the Taiwanese table.
The food is tasty but so dull here.

3 Likes

All mass produced frozen factory fare.

Sauerkraut!
And I have a nice link to a really serious ‘fermenter’ on Instagram. Goferment.

1 Like

Must be a stable market if the food importers are in on it for this long.

Though the places i have eaten mostly make their own (countryside coffee shop type places)

With frozen (sweet) crusts, the filling is easy. You would be amazed what you can get frozen and who’s using it. From starter to dessert! Food service companies have it for you.

Tis true. Though most the shops ive been do (mix and bake) their crust as well. All the wheat and yeast etc are all imported of course. Hard to avoid lots of that. But id dont visit a lot, so far from an informed perspective.

Anything that comes out of an 85 cafe, donutes, louisa starbucks etc i probably wouldnt be expecting too much in the fresh and quality categories.

I guess that 85C’s ‘handmade’ pastries are a legend from the past.

I would put them down to great timing and cheaper than starbucks if was going to be positive about them :slight_smile: its gone way down hill since then it seems. Still good for a sugar/caffiene/sodium fix though when in a pinch.

Using yeast doesn’t mean a thing, most bakeries use premixed stuff, improvers and conditioners …

Starbucks the worst Coffee for sale in the world! I call their cappucinno a Babycinno no coffee in it just frothy mik.
But I love 85c cakes and sugary pastries. However not allowed to eat them :slightly_frowning_face:

I take comfort in knowing I’m not the only one.