Pickled Onions, Vegetable etc

Nice fade!

@eCanada @Aikaili ginger fermented green radish with tons of coriander seed. So pretty!!

5 Likes

Looks great! Is there something on the top of the jar.

I pickled some cabbage yesterday but it is in an ugly tupperware.

The yellow thing keeps the veggies below the surface of the water, the bubbler at top let’s gas escape.
How do you pickle your cabbage, or is that in the recipe thread?

Don’t people just usually stick it in a bell jar or something and seal it?

@safari, did the pickled beetroot ever come off?

I’m not sure if it is really pickles but it’s the cabbage appetizer that you get in restaurants here. My husband will eat them in a few days so i don’t need to worry about preserving.

1. Boil 1 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teas. salt. take off the heat and add 1/2 cup vinegar. let cool completely.
  2. Chop half a head of cabbage into big pieces. Peel a slice a carrot.
  3. Put into a colander to drain. salt a bit, mix around to coat, and let sit for an hour.
  4. Rinse twice and squeeze out excess water.
  5. Transfer the cabbage, carrot to a glass or plastic container.
  6. Add a coarsely chopped chili and 2 cloves of smashed garlic.
  7. Pour sauce over cabbage and chill for 24 hours
3 Likes

The pickling jar looks like a good idea. Did you buy it in taiwan?

Actually I bought it at the home brew store here in Austin. I’m sure they can be had online too.
These silicon jobbers are nice for smaller ferments

Good idea. I’ve learned to cook in Taiwan and make everything from scratch now. Even sourdough bread, green juice. I hate canned sauerkraut but I bet I’d like homemade.

1 Like

I guess I meant Mason jar lol. What are those other ones with the rubber seal and flip-top lid called

Bell is the same thing as Mason.they both probably make flip-top too.

@Aikaili mmmmm horseradish saurkraut on a brat.
My son, after a year of trying finally figured out the sourdough starter method. I had no idea it was so complicated. He is pleased and running with it.

2 Likes

But people traditionally made do without that kind of venting apparatus, right?

I did that my first time making hot sauce. I put the sauce into the Mason jars before it was done fermenting. They all expanded and the gasses dented the lids.

If you want a real lacto fermentation you definitely need a gas release

1 Like

Ask an old German grandma about peeling back the 2cm thick carpet of mold on the barrel top to get to the saurkraut underneath. That is one way to keep it anaerobic.

2 Likes

Yes came out fine, all I can say is white vinegar I bought from Costco was to strong, so next time I pickled, just about everything vegetable and hard I watered it down by a 3rd with filtered water.

Sounds good. Don’t know how much you’re selling them for, but we could probably shift a few jars of pickled beets down here in Hualien.

If you have them.

Sorry all gone we ate them, no demand here. Still have plenty of pickled shallots and some larger jars of bell peppers and various.
Been into selling scones that has died off now, people here it’s like a craze they all want it! then suddenly they don’t after telling you how good it was!!
Just being kind I suppose? they want western style food but unless, fried chicken, burgers and pizza they don’t really have the taste for it.

Pickled Onion Recipe
250 gm small onions, peeled, remove top and tail (as little as possible) remove outermost layer if it’s still papery. (Small is 2-3 cm or so.)

in a clean 500 mL jar, place
1 tsp salt
1 Tsp sugar
1 Tsp black peppercorns, whole
1 Tsp coriander seeds, whole
4 cloves
1 tsp black mustard seeds, whole
1-2 small dried red chili (optional)
3-4 bay leaves

Place onions into jar, then fill to cover onions with vinegar. (Japanese apple vinegar works quite well, otherwise a mix of white wine vinegar and malt vinegar. Avoid rice vinegar and any of the heavy Asian vinegars like black vinegar, coconut vinegar, etc. Balsamic vinegar might be interesting if you use just a splash.)

Microwave 3-4 minutes, or until the vinegar is just about to boil. Close with lid, allow to cool, then refrigerate 2-3 weeks before eating. Best eaten within 2-3 months.

1 Like

Do any of you folks have a source for proper canning jars? Kerr, mason etc brand iant important. All mine i bring back from NA are broken or rusty now.

Gotta say, after eating the taiwanese kimchi my opinion on sour femrmented foods changed for the better

Currently we are doing nopalesin a 5% by weight brine but way too salty so will do 3.5% next time. Used jars of pickling spices and came out well!

2 Likes