Picnic in Kaohsiung

Any suggestions for a park to have a picnic in Kaohsiung? I’m looking for: shade, comfortable grass, not too crowded, and a bonus would be that it looks nice (view, park maintenance, etc.).

I’ve tried Central Park and Aozidi Forest Park during visits within the past 6 months and neither were good to me.

Smile Park?

Beside Ziyou Traditional Market, can park there. Not far to walk from MRT

Kaohsiung Metropolitan Park
07 365 6103
https://maps.google.com/?cid=6354133588669449039&entry=gps

Go to the west side up the top of the hill, no traffic noise and just peaceful.

My favorite park in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Hamasen Rail Park

Big variety of options trees or views or open areas and have bathrooms and bikes and Hills and Valleys

Kaohsiung Metropolitan Park

Or around Chengqing Lake

Lotus Lake. South side has trees for shade.

Smile Park has a lot of dog shit and a couple homeless.

I vote for Aozidi Forest Park or Central Park.

EDIT: Lol I just reread his original post and saw he dumped on the two parks I recommended :sweat_smile:. Well… I think he’s shit out of luck. Maybe the area around Lotus Pond. Or hike up Monkey Mountain.

1 Like

Probably not a good idea for a picnic

2 Likes

Fucken great idea for a picnic. :laughing:

2 Likes

Don’t forget to put your bb gun in the picnic basket

Banpingshan has a picnic area past the viewpoint structure, no monkeys but also no grass. There are a few hidden spots up there that are great, but it is also a bit of a hike up (at least 30 minutes I guess)

have a look at the parks around Weiwuying

https://goo.gl/maps/xM1QfLAeF9hXeJv57

Thanks! This one could work.

I was browsing this one on Google Maps before I posted, but I wasn’t sure, based on the photos. I was curious if anyone has gone here for a picnic.

If you see a foreigner at the top with an electric kick scooter, a subway sandwich and a bag of chips sitting on a camping chair… Then you’re in my spot, find somewhere else :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Not been for a while but it has some nice places to sit next to the lake

Is this a family picnic with kids, Date picnic with significant other or party picnic with friends?

Ha! I think you can share for 1 afternoon. I don’t live in Kaohsiung and I promise I won’t tell anyone about your secret spot. :shushing_face:

As long as it’s not infested with mosquitoes…

It’s a date picnic, so, peace and quiet is preferred.

Its Taiwan :wink: use repellent.

Then better to go scope it out first, better than turning up blind and walking around for ages trying to find a spot.

Don’t really have the time to do this because we are just visiting for the weekend. Kinda need to just get it right on the first shot.

Weiwuying is quite nice but a little away from the centre, it has a couple of coffee shops in the building itself if the weather gets too hot or wet. Like all Taiwan take the mosquito repellent.

Hope someone who has been there recently can let you know if they have kept up the maintenance as that makes a big difference.

Good luck with your date and you can always just jump on the MRT/ Tram if you get board.

1 Like